Special Forces - a few questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Special Forces - a few questions

Special forces seem a brilliant option when faced with far bigger enemies, but there seem to be a lot of complexities to get the best out of them.

So I'm currently experimenting as so many people swear by them. But a few questions:

1) If air assaulting on a province/city, you won't know whats there until landing right? So you could potentially be landing on a huge stack that could wipe your unit/s out?

2) Is the air assault option only from ally bases or from RoW airfields too?

3) You can be detected by disembarking at harbors? Does this automatically declare war?

4) Are the ATK/DEF properties and mods only when in the centre of a province or anywhere? If they accidently ran into an enemy unit not at the centre would the same ratings apply?

5) Can they just pass by neutral units on neutral territory? ^^

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to understand this as much as possible!
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Special forces seem a brilliant option when faced with far bigger enemies, but there seem to be a lot of complexities to get the best out of them.

So I'm currently experimenting as so many people swear by them. But a few questions:

1) If air assaulting on a province/city, you won't know whats there until landing right? So you could potentially be landing on a huge stack that could wipe your unit/s out?

2) Is the air assault option only from ally bases or from RoW airfields too?

3) You can be detected by disembarking at harbors? Does this automatically declare war?

4) Are the ATK/DEF properties and mods only when in the centre of a province or anywhere? If they accidently ran into an enemy unit not at the centre would the same ratings apply?

5) Can they just pass by neutral units on neutral territory? ^^

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to understand this as much as possible!
      I MOSTLY know the answers to your questions, but I've encountered some so rarely that I may not remember correctly anymore. Anyone who knows better is free to correct me.

1. Right, unless you've done recon on the city/province via some other means.
      2. That's a good question. I very rarely have RoW from anyone, so I honestly don't know, but I assume if there's a nearby airfield you can use, you can air assault from it.
      3. If you're detected violating enemy territory anywhere, there will be a declaration of war.
      4. I think you're talking about terrain bonuses; I believe those apply anywhere in the territory. Also, worth mentioning that Special Forces ignore enemy entrenchment.
      5. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can't every unit just pass by neutral units in neutral territory? Maybe you're asking if they can pass by a neutral unit in it's own territory? It depends on the enemy unit and what you mean by "pass by". IIRC, any unit that occupies the exact same spot on the map as a Special Forces troop will detect it. I could very well be wrong about that, but I believe it to be true just off the top of my head. So, for instance, if there are other infantry in their own exact city center and you airdrop or drive into the exact city center, I THINK you will be spotted and combat will ensue. However, if there is other infantry in their own city center and you stop just shy of the city center, you'll remain undetected as long as you don't initiate contact and a different unit doesn't see you.
    • 1- radar is a thing, also nobody forces you to immediately land in the center of a province where the units most likely are
      2- if you can use it to airlift you can use it to airassault
      3- yes and no; units dont have stealth when in transports (sea or air; tho airassault obviously doesnt count)
      4- terrain boni apply anywhere in the province; tho frankly im surprised you didn’t already know that, iirc you’ve been around for quite some time by now
      5- no, running into other units declares war
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Thanks both.

RoW - doesn't work. Just literally tested it from a RoW airbase and the air assault option was greyed out.

When disembarking onto a neutral province (not city harbor) does that count as a transport unit?
      as long as its as ship, but if you reset the movement order to "force" the transition from transport to unit then it shouldnt
    • Teburu wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Thanks both.

RoW - doesn't work. Just literally tested it from a RoW airbase and the air assault option was greyed out.

When disembarking onto a neutral province (not city harbor) does that count as a transport unit?
      as long as its as ship, but if you reset the movement order to "force" the transition from transport to unit then it shouldnt
      Ok thats interesting Teburu. So if I click on 'cancel' and then 'move' to the province again, it should stay as the original unit and keep my stealth status?

I need to get this right, don't want to get spotted sneaking into their territory :rolleyes:
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Thanks both.

Ok thats interesting Teburu. So if I click on 'cancel' and then 'move' to the province again, it should stay as the original unit and keep my stealth status?
      I need to get this right, don't want to get spotted sneaking into their territory :rolleyes:
      no need to cancel, simply use move order again
    • Who else finds it nerve wrecking leaving their special force units buried deep in enemy territory as 'sleeper cells' ready to strike at right time?

What kind of locations do you use to hide them?

I'm finding near rivers or dead end roads on the edge of provinces as great hiding spots. Just navigating there is the problem as you need to closely micro-manage the route to avoid running into anyone.