Which Doctrine Type is Superior?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which Doctrine Type is Superior?

Alright let's hear it- which doctrine type is superior? (For all types of terrain.)

What if you prefer units that don't play into your doctrine? How much will this really affect your gameplay?

wiki.conflictnations.com/File:…0-26-doctrine-revamp2.jpg
      CDR Crimson
      Founder of The Militia Collective

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • I'm a big, BIG subscriber to Doctrines, and I don't think one is definitively better than another. They each have different playstyles or minor weaknesses. I would definitely never tell someone, "Don't do what you feel comfortable doing; play this particular Doctrine instead." I'd say start with how you want to play and then see if there's an interesting country with a Doctrine that matches your style.

How much does it affect you if you play units outside of your Doctrine? Well, the objective answer is that it affects you exactly as much as the bonus the other guy gets for that unit. If you love Mechanized Infantry, but you're not playing European Doctrine, you're missing out on earlier (slightly) upgrades, 25% more damage against infantry units, and a 10% bonus to speed. That's exactly how much it affects you if you're playing that unit outside of that Doctrine.

If you want to make better use of Doctrines, I'd suggest considering your natural playstyle, considering the units that benefit from how you play, and then considering the Doctrine that benefits those units. Like Crab said above, if you like Main Battle Tanks and Gunships, Eastern is your wheelhouse.
    • I don't care about doctrines as much as SOME people on this forum
      tho I know that the western doctrine specializes in aircraft/ships/missiles, european is good with infs/supp units, and eastern doctrine is best for players who like tanks/armors

and if your a s**t player, you will still be s**t no matter what your doctrine
      Україна
      Україна

"The future is not written" - Anna Jija
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I'm a big, BIG subscriber to Doctrines, and I don't think one is definitively better than another. They each have different playstyles or minor weaknesses. I would definitely never tell someone, "Don't do what you feel comfortable doing; play this particular Doctrine instead." I'd say start with how you want to play and then see if there's an interesting country with a Doctrine that matches your style.

How much does it affect you if you play units outside of your Doctrine? Well, the objective answer is that it affects you exactly as much as the bonus the other guy gets for that unit. If you love Mechanized Infantry, but you're not playing European Doctrine, you're missing out on earlier (slightly) upgrades, 25% more damage against infantry units, and a 10% bonus to speed. That's exactly how much it affects you if you're playing that unit outside of that Doctrine.

If you want to make better use of Doctrines, I'd suggest considering your natural playstyle, considering the units that benefit from how you play, and then considering the Doctrine that benefits those units. Like Crab said above, if you like Main Battle Tanks and Gunships, Eastern is your wheelhouse.
      I go heavy with full max infantry and strike fighters and destroyers. Obviously more types than this, but if that is my bread and butter, is Western Doctrine a good fit?
      CDR Crimson

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • CDRCrimson42 wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

I'm a big, BIG subscriber to Doctrines, and I don't think one is definitively better than another. They each have different playstyles or minor weaknesses. I would definitely never tell someone, "Don't do what you feel comfortable doing; play this particular Doctrine instead." I'd say start with how you want to play and then see if there's an interesting country with a Doctrine that matches your style.

I go heavy with full max infantry and strike fighters and destroyers. Obviously more types than this, but if that is my bread and butter, is Western Doctrine a good fit?
      No, strikers are european doctrine
    • Kalrakh wrote:

CDRCrimson42 wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

What about F35 stealth Air units
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • CDRCrimson42 wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

CDRCrimson42 wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

Not sure what unit you mean, because I do not care about individual unit names, but units without a doctrine icon in their icon list are neutral units
    • Kalrakh wrote:

CDRCrimson42 wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

CDRCrimson42 wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

Not sure what unit you mean, because I do not care about individual unit names, but units without a doctrine icon in their icon list are neutral units
      Ok good to know thanks
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • To be honest...Ive studied most and have good understanding of most of game. But have no idea why/which Docterine is better (maybe its because what i build nt impacted or minimal); ive never ooked at docterine when picking countries. I do like like the look of some units or different docterine; thats about it.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Anna Jija wrote:

I don't care about doctrines as much as SOME people on this forum
      tho I know that the western doctrine specializes in aircraft/ships/missiles, european is good with infs/supp units, and eastern doctrine is best for players who like tanks/armors

see I guess i should be western; as air; sea; missiles right up my ally. I dont even know what i am now...lol Damn eastern and never use tanks. I guess european would be best with strike = 20 pct but hate Europe counties; not sure think played UK once just to recreate D-Day invasion through Germany of Mainland Europe against France/Germany Coalition.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

Anna Jija wrote:

I don't care about doctrines as much as SOME people on this forum

see I guess i should be western; as air; sea; missiles right up my ally. I dont even know what i am now...lol Damn eastern and never use tanks. I guess european would be best with strike = 20 pct but hate Europe counties; not sure think played UK once just to recreate D-Day invasion through Germany of Mainland Europe against France/Germany Coalition.
      What does pct stand for?
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • Right, European Doctrine specializes in Strike Fighters. Actually, Buck, New Zealand (with which you won) is European Doctrine, so you got the Strike Fighter bonus that game.

Motor Infantry develop faster under Eastern Doctrine.

Okay, so here's a quick (non-comprehensive) run down of the core Doctrine-linked units. For a full list and all the details, just look up the Wiki entry.

Western: Naval Infantry, Airborne Infantry, Armed Fighting Vehicles, Air Superiority Fighters, Attack Helos, Heavy Bombers, AWACS, Theater Defense, etc.

European: Mechanized infantry, Tank Destroyers, Mobile Artillery, Strike Fighters, Mobile AA, etc.

Eastern: Motorized Infantry, Special Forces, Main Battle Tanks, Towed Artillery, SAMs, Gunships, etc.

It's worth noting that some units, while getting MORE of a bonus/bonuses from a particular Doctrine may also get a lesser bonus from another Doctrine/Doctrines. Main Battle Tanks are a good example; they get a different bonus from every Doctrine, but they get more than one bonus from Eastern, and they upgrade faster in Eastern.

One of the things you should note if your interested in Doctrines is when the research for each unit becomes available. On a map with no research restrictions, it doesn't matter, but in regular WWIII, for instance, Eastern Doctrine can max out Motorized Infantry four days faster than Western Doctrine, and Western can max out Armed Fighting Vehicles six days faster than European Doctrine.
    • In my opinion it is nice to know what doctrine you are to get the better buffs in it. However, as long as in the game you build the right units so you can effectively take out hard and soft, air and sea units while having the best of the rock paper science match your in good shape.

What I like to do is balance my resources with my builds so I can maximize my resources into units. And i think that’s makes a bigger difference than the doctrine is to have the perfect counter and a better production line.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

If you want to make better use of Doctrines, I'd suggest considering your natural playstyle, considering the units that benefit from how you play, and then considering the Doctrine that benefits those units.
      Yes, for me I will hardly ever use armored units when playing a non-Eastern country, and tend to focus more on naval/air technologies when playing a European nation.

Anna Jija wrote:

Have to agree with AJ here, the slight differences of the doctrines won't change your play quality, just like how a 10-city nation can be wiped out by a 5-city nation if they don't know what tf they're doing.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Lol, I'm not sure why people are so reluctant to consider Doctrine.

I mean, I consider terrain bonuses when I build/use different types of units, why would I not consider Doctrine bonuses? 25% more damagd from towed artillery in the mountains (for everyone, because it's terrain), so I try to put them there.

20% more damage vs armored for Attack Helos under Western. 25% more damage versus Infantry (plus a small speed bonus) for Mechanized Infantry under European. 20% more damage for SAMs against fixed wing aircraft under Eastern. Plus, again, the faster upgrades for each of those.

Why is a 25% bonus/penalty worth considering, but a 20% or 25% bonus plus faster movement/upgrades isn't worth considering?