Best Country To Play as, Let's Hear It (WW3)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• KFGauss wrote:

Folks FYI:

I found these by using Google's advanced search to look for "best nation OR country site:forum.conflictnations.com:"

By looking at only the thread titles in the first five pages the search returned, I selected these. I know there are some clinkers in the list. As an example, I'm pretty sure that the "Day 1 Guide" thread was a disaster.

It would be interesting to see how opinions have changed over time. Maybe when I'm truly retired I'll have time for stuff like that.

"What is past is prologue"

Jan 2022, Do You Guys Solo?
      Sep 2021, Day 1 guide
      Aug 2021, Landlocked is Key! Change my mind.
      Jun 2021, What are better countries to start with in Rising Tides?
      Jan 2021, Discussion: Which Country is the Best to Play As?
      Jan 2021, Worst country to play ?
      Dec 2020, Best Nations
      Dec 2020, Battleground USA
      Nov 2020, Rising Tides discussion
      Aug 2020, Best Countries In Overkill
      Jun 2020, Playable Countries Part 1
      Apr 2020, Your Favorite Country
      Mar 2020, Looking for Rising Tides Advice
      Feb 2020, Countries that are kind of hard to play as
      Feb 2020, Opinion: Disadvantaged European Country
      Jul 2018, Africa Strategy
      Jan 2018, Favourite starting place
      Feb 2017, The Ultimte Starting Position
      Nice KF this is pretty cool actually. I'll skim through some of these.

I am also curious if opinions have changed over time.
      CDR Crimson
      Founder of The Militia Collective

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

CDRCrimson42 wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Is there a particular reason you would pick Argentina over say Brazil in S America?But this was very detailed, thanks.
      Plus I feel like cheating if pick the huge countries ;)
      Ahhh a man who likes a challenge, respect.
      CDR Crimson

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • Mostly disagree about Europe having a lot of fights day 1... It's EXTREMELY over-exaggerated. I've played Germany, Sweden, Poland. I was always the one who attacked rather than having some noob throw infantry and tanks early on. The density of cities and provinces really makes Europe a great place... I would probably put UK at the top, though I haven't ever played it yet.

Early expansion is mostly like Japan, since France / Germany / Spain / Norway don't have those tiny provinces and cities all jammed together. However, once you move into central Europe (day 20-30), you'll be getting like 500 VP in a span of a couple days.

Just my thoughts :)
      "All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." - The Joker
    • Mr. Boii wrote:

Mostly disagree about Europe having a lot of fights day 1... It's EXTREMELY over-exaggerated. I've played Germany, Sweden, Poland. I was always the one who attacked rather than having some noob throw infantry and tanks early on. The density of cities and provinces really makes Europe a great place... I would probably put UK at the top, though I haven't ever played it yet.

Early expansion is mostly like Japan, since France / Germany / Spain / Norway don't have those tiny provinces and cities all jammed together. However, once you move into central Europe (day 20-30), you'll be getting like 500 VP in a span of a couple days.

I'll grant you that Europe doesn't have a lot of fights day 1, if you'll agree that the reasons you like to be in Europe make it more likely for me to encounter two or three of you (motivated players wanting to squabble over local VPs) in Europe than for me to run into the same situation in other parts of the map.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Mr. Boii wrote:

Mostly disagree about Europe having a lot of fights day 1... It's EXTREMELY over-exaggerated. I've played Germany, Sweden, Poland. I was always the one who attacked rather than having some noob throw infantry and tanks early on. The density of cities and provinces really makes Europe a great place... I would probably put UK at the top, though I haven't ever played it yet.

I'll grant you that Europe doesn't have a lot of fights day 1, if you'll agree that the reasons you like to be in Europe make it more likely for me to encounter two or three of you (motivated players wanting to squabble over local VPs) in Europe than for me to run into the same situation in other parts of the map.
      Good point, but I'll say that I'm quite a terrible player but everyone in the entire map save for 2 or 3 people are all worse than me. Europe has *still* been mostly free VPs, maybe I'm just lucky.

Unrelated: how do i add a signature to my posts?
      "All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day." - The Joker
    • I like Chad in Africa. Surrounded by AI so quick easy expansion in first few days. Can conquer most of Africa solo before the big coalitions come knocking and I have do decide on joining one to attempt a team win, or staying solo and getting stuck in a Euro/Asian coalition death sandwich.

I also like Sweden. On the edge of Europe so not in any immediate skirmish. If you ally or conquer Norway early than attacks are limited to natural bottlenecks. Can easily block and defend Baltic sea which limits naval attack. Only one way in for land attack.
    • 12 coalition/5 solo wins as Bolivia, more than any nation I've used. Always end up joining or creating a coalition and if they go inactive I join a coalition outside the Americas. If that doesn't happen I go for the solo W. One time a full coalition 1v5 came to Iquique and dropped at least 200+ units to rush my capital just to lose them all in combat outpost mountains/jungles and a ridiculous amount of rocket artillery sitting there waiting on them.

I love Bolivia. I can sweat all day and pick Sweden, Turkey, Romania, Iran, Italy and go for quick ass wins spamming strike fighters and national guard but the unique turtling, landlocked strategy of Bolivia has been a savior for reverting my noob stats, and have never had a bad game with it.

I find myself purposely trolling players just to motivate them to try and invade me from across the ocean and when they do I giggle and wiggle for all the kills I'm bout to pick up! One happy camper.
      bolgoal (2).jpg
      Multiple routes to expand got 2 supply cities and Argentina/Peru got some good landlocked annexing real estate. Iquique and the rest of Chile got good room to grow a navy if interested. In all the games I've played only a couple did anyone in the Americas invade me. 1 time by Brazil and 1 by Peru. Both failed since I was active and defended pretty easily then I just counter-attacked iirc.
    • I had heard and seen good things about Romania, so I decided to try it out. I had been in several games where Romania had done well, and figured it was worth a shot. It ended up being my first solo victory, which I was ecstatic about.

- It’s surrounded by AI countries, so you can get a quick jumpstart on VPs.
      - It’s away from the center of Europe, and the high concentration of countries there
      - Has naval capability without the drawbacks of exposed port cities. If you can control the Bosphorus, you’re set
      - Only 1 naval city, but Europe tends to be mainly ground combat from my experience
      - I don’t tend to pay much attention to terrain, might be a rookie thing but I’m sure there’s something good to say about that

It’s the only nation I’ve played that I felt the need to rave about, besides maybe Chad. While playing Romania, I simply felt like I could do nothing wrong.
      The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - George S. Patton
    • GrandInquisitor wrote:

12 coalition/5 solo wins as Bolivia, more than any nation I've used. Always end up joining or creating a coalition and if they go inactive I join a coalition outside the Americas. If that doesn't happen I go for the solo W. One time a full coalition 1v5 came to Iquique and dropped at least 200+ units to rush my capital just to lose them all in combat outpost mountains/jungles and a ridiculous amount of rocket artillery sitting there waiting on them.

I love Bolivia. I can sweat all day and pick Sweden, Turkey, Romania, Iran, Italy and go for quick ass wins spamming strike fighters and national guard but the unique turtling, landlocked strategy of Bolivia has been a savior for reverting my noob stats, and have never had a bad game with it.

I find myself purposely trolling players just to motivate them to try and invade me from across the ocean and when they do I giggle and wiggle for all the kills I'm bout to pick up! One happy camper.
      bolgoal (2).jpg
      Multiple routes to expand got 2 supply cities and Argentina/Peru got some good landlocked annexing real estate. Iquique and the rest of Chile got good room to grow a navy if interested. In all the games I've played only a couple did anyone in the Americas invade me. 1 time by Brazil and 1 by Peru. Both failed since I was active and defended pretty easily then I just counter-attacked iirc.
      Very detailed and appreciated, thanks.
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • GrandInquisitor wrote:

12 coalition/5 solo wins as Bolivia, more than any nation I've used. Always end up joining or creating a coalition and if they go inactive I join a coalition outside the Americas. If that doesn't happen I go for the solo W. One time a full coalition 1v5 came to Iquique and dropped at least 200+ units to rush my capital just to lose them all in combat outpost mountains/jungles and a ridiculous amount of rocket artillery sitting there waiting on them.

bolgoal (2).jpg
      I've always had 'good luck' with ethiopia (dont know if it's luck or not) but I find that it allows for early expansion west into Africa or into the Middle East... join a coalition with african countrys (nigeria, algeria, mozambique) and youre all set.

ps, don't know if europe usually has 'lots of fighting' on day 1, but I find sweden and finland to be successful in lots of games.
      Україна
      Україна

"The future is not written" - Anna Jija
    • There are so many nations available in WW3, I couldn't just single out one 'best country'. So, I gave my favorite country of each continent.

North America: Mexico
      I rarely play any of the North American countries, tbh. I find that area of the map to be kind of a 'wasteland' without many cities/resources. However, I usually will have good luck with Mexico, maybe because of my gameplay strategy.
      • The several AI countries to the south allow for early VP grabbing.
      • Your 5 port cities allow for a quick navy production; the flipside of this is now multiple fronts have to be defended.
      • Teaming up with Canada can allow for easy disposal of the USA, you may be able to take out Canada as well.
      • Resource-rich (lots of components and RMs)

South America: Colombia
      This one came down to 3 countries (Colombia, Peru and Bolivia), but Peru is vulnerable early in the game and Bolivia often ends up getting attacked from multiple fronts. Colombia has the cities, resources and expansion opportunities to be a game winner.
      • By taking over Panama, you'll have control over the Panama Canal, one of the most important waterways on the map.
      • Only 2 of its 7 cities are ports meaning there's less places to defend.
      • Plenty of Supplies, Components and Fuel
      • Several expansion options (Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Peru, etc)

Europe: Romania
      Recently there's been lots of talk in the forums about Romania being one of the best countries to play, so I decided to check it out. I've conquered ALL of eastern europe and have Turkey, Iraq, the Holy land, and Egypt! And it's only day 16!
      • Resource-rich (multiple production sites for every resource except Fuel). Supplies and Components have 3 production sites each.
      • Only 1 naval city (Constanta). This can greatly hinder naval advancement in the early part of the game, but at least you only have 1 port to defend. You'll probably want to annex other port cities later on.
      • AI territories to the west, east and south allow for early expansion and VPs.
      • Only 2 human countries border you in the start, so less likely to get attacked on multiple fronts.

Africa: Chad and KR Congo
      Yes, a tie! These two countries both have their awkwardly similar ups and downs, and you can either have really good or really had games with them. I guess the only factor differentiating the two is if you are an experienced naval player or not.
      • Chad is the only nation (besides maybe Kazakhstan) that does not need a good navy in early game to do good. Depending on who they attack, they can probably take out a couple human players and get to the coast by day 10-15.
      • The Congo is also landlocked in the game, but if you really want to churn out those vessels, you can rush Cabinda and annex that city ASAP.
      • The resource-rich Congo is one of the most economically successful countries in Africa, making it a target of their neighbors.
      • Both Chad and the Congo border 4 human players, so there is a possibility of getting attacked on multiple fronts.

Asia: Japan
      As an experienced naval player, I consider Japan to be a top pick, not just in Asia but in the whole map. I typically follow a WW2-style expansion plan: the Koreas, Philippines, then China, then whoever I decide next.
      • All of Japan's 7 cities are port cities. This is great for players who wish to focus on the naval branch. There is, of course, a flipside to this: Any of your cities are subject to invasion by enemies, so make sure to keep them defended!
      • Plenty of resources, especially Supplies and Electronics.
      • Easy expansion into the Koreas, Philippines, and China.

Oceania: Australia
      Australia is kind of isolated from the chaos in the rest of the world. If you take care of your business with Indonesia and New Zealand, you should be set to have a good game. I will usually move my HQ to Alice Springs at some point because come on, who likes capgrabbers?
      • 6 of 7 cities are ports, which allows for early naval advancement. Combine that with having the Western doctrine - you could have the most powerful navy on the map!
      • Lots of resources, especially Components and RMs
      • Try to join a 'south/southeast asia' coalition. If so, they can help you take out Indonesia, or any other countries in that area.
      • Multiple expansion opportunities (New Zealand, Indonesia, Philippines, etc)
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • The only good answer is the country with the most starting cities, which is, Germany.
      Germany is the best starting country because it has the most starting cities...
      Any country is good mid-late game, but at the first moment of the map, Germany having the most cities puts it at #1.
      It's sad how Germany is taken by quitters so often. It really is a strong country, that is lost to bad players too often.

But my favorite Country to start as has to be South Africa, because being at the bottom means I only have to fight Northward, joining or starting a Coalition with the other strong African countries, and letting them fight Europe and Mid East, while South Africa takes to the seas with all the Coalition protection up North, defending the sea is best at that point... if I make it to that point. Waring African countries could take so much out of your resources that enemy landfall is undefendable... so SA really needs the Coalition protection up North if your going to be a sea worthy adversary.

And in Battlegrounds USA, best state is Louisiana, because I live there. So city numbers don't matter, Louisiana is the best, period.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mr_Mp5 ().

• Mr_Mp5 wrote:

The only good answer is the country with the most starting cities, which is, Germany.
      Germany is the best starting country because it has the most starting cities...
      Any country is good mid-late game, but at the first moment of the map, Germany having the most cities puts it at #1.
      It's sad how Germany is taken by quitters so often. It really is a strong country, that is lost to bad players too often.
      You are in fact wrong, Germany doesn’t have the most cities. That would be Russia/China/USA.

The amount of Homeland Cities is actually fairly irrelevant early on an matters more mid-late game. It matters significantly more what you make of the initial resources given (Im not sure but i think starting res are the same for everyone?) than resource income.
      Frankly for public matches which country you chose is almost irrelevant anyway because individual skill matters infinitely more.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I would put Japan at the top of my list for many reasons.

first navy wins games so picking a island based country makes you unkillable as long as you have the strongest navy.

second it’s strategic position is awesome being able to move in one direction most of the game starting with Korea, Philippines and China.

Third you have 7 cities and they are fairly close together making it easier to establish a blockade and defense of your homeland.

I like to build frigates and subs for navy and then marines, attack choppers, air superiority fighters and national guard and sam launchers. I first get my frigates to tier 2 before starting subs. You tend to be low of electronics in this build so when you are out you build marines. With this build you are effective able to fight any type of units with the better of the Rock Paper Scissors.

Best wishes if you try it.