Best Country To Play as, Let's Hear It (WW3)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Best Country To Play as, Let's Hear It (WW3)

Well the title pretty much says it all.

Which country is best, for purpose of economic growth, logistics of location, share you personal insights and experiences. (WW3)

I happen to believe that the south American countries are the best to play as if you have good strong allies. It's not a high demand area, some start with 7 cities, and control of the Panama canal can be integral to a successful game.

Europe is always a hellish battleground and don't even get me started on the Middle East, even the USA is a big target . Is Africa a good place away from the chaos of Europe?

Or should I embrace the chaos of Europe ?
      CDR Crimson
      Founder of The Militia Collective

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • I'm going to go out on a limb and say... Turkey... which I have never played.

-Having so many home city ports with an inland capitol allows for naval dominance with minimal exposure...

-It's position in the Med. Sea is outside the center chaos and provides strategic blockade points of defense in a very natural progression...starting with access to the Black Sea ... Then the Eastern section to the Suez Canal... and finally the straight of Gibraltar to control the Med. Sea in whole.

-With the exception of Istanbul, it's only accessible by land from the East allowing for the concentration of ground units on that front.

-Istanbul is a freebee beachhead into the European theatre that is defendable by naval units.

-Being in between the Balkans and the Middle East provides early expansion into the two most city dense regions on the map.

-Where there are typically geographical coalitions formed in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa... Turkey is sought by any of them as an ally, but isn't seen as a mandatory expansion objective or as the most immediate threat for any of them.

-If going for a solo victory, there is ample VP to be gained by sea... Frigates and national guard may be the only units you'd actually need to win.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Smallsword ().

• KFGauss wrote:

I've gotta believe that this topic has been beaten to death in the past. How about posting some links to past Threads so that we don't "beat the same dead horses"?
      How about a constructive response instead of a smart a** comment. You have the freedom to post what you want, and so do I.

I just had a thread about best doctrine type, which has been covered endlessly. Guess what KF there’s new players constantly and not everybody wants to read a thread from 2018 and the search functions for forum keywords is half decent at best. It had a ton of engagement too so no, I won’t listen to your opinion above my own.
      CDR Crimson

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • Over 28,000 threads on here KF and your smart a** doesn’t think every topic has been covered by now? Everything on this forum is rehashed information being discussed by new people and or the same.

What a senseless comment. Yeah you could find AN article about this topic somewhere. But I didn’t get a chance to ask it MY way did I yet? Go to bed dude.
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • To me Asia best starting as forces strong navy and high population areas. Rising tides def tilted in Asia due to # of victory sites (think 4); 1 in n america; 1 s america; 2 in Africa; 2 or 3 europe.

Played Argentina once and won but slow rolling through much of S America. hated the big / slow prov in brazil and made hard with Air cover.

In WW3 games generally see a Europe and Asia coalition being top. Mideast / Africa gets from all direction and Americas disconnected.

Asia:
      Like Myanmar small but well situated (mtns to back and manageable gulf to protect and was my first ww3 win. Australia good resources but cities all on perimeter a lot to guard. won with little New Zealand. Think will try Japan next.

Europe: Have won UK not bad. In general avoid central europe as try best to avoid multifront wars especially early on.

S America: Argentina

N America: Cuba

Never played Mideast or Africa in world map. But like Syria / Algeria in Flashpoint.

Mideast map India and Ethiopia matched my style. I guess tend to start in bottom right corners ;)

Battleground USA. Won with British columbia was good defensive location but didnt fit my navy style. Nicaragua set up well so far.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Pale Rider ().

• Colombia would be by answer, in almost all maps. They have decent enough cities (7)(6 in rising tides.. unless I missed something), easy expansionpath into south america, latin america and north america. 2 or 3 port cities depending on map and varied terrains to take advantage on.
      All in all, a very well balanced country
      Live as I learn, not as I live
    • GeneralLangmoen wrote:

"...I am not the best at this forum, but I really liked Japan. It was not to hard to defend, and has a lot of expanding opportunities into the Koreas, the Philippines, or maybe even China, Russia and USA. Its easy to build a big navy and I’m a big fan of western doctrine."
      I have seen Japan takeover the entire map almost a few times, and I like western doctrine as well. It's on my list to play as.
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • Would argue really any Island Nation easily fills the "best country" spot, simply by virtue of Island Nations being impossible to take without a navy. Japan being the best of the Island Nations puts it on top of that list by default.
      Tho I'd argue that Europe is about the best spot you can start, high concentration of VP on a relatively small area in combination with the high dropout rate makes for a lot basically free VP
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

To me Asia best starting as forces strong navy and high population areas. Rising tides def tilted in Asia due to # of victory sites (think 4); 1 in n america; 1 s america; 2 in Africa; 2 or 3 europe.

Played Argentina once and won but slow rolling through much of S America. hated the big / slow prov in brazil and made hard with Air cover.

In WW3 games generally see a Europe and Asia coalition being top. Mideast / Africa gets from all direction and Americas disconnected.

Asia:
      Like Myanmar small but well situated (mtns to back and manageable gulf to protect and was my first ww3 win. Australia good resources but cities all on perimeter a lot to guard. won with little New Zealand. Think will try Japan next.

Europe: Have won UK not bad. In general avoid central europe as try best to avoid multifront wars especially early on.

S America: Argentina

N America: Cuba

Never played Mideast or Africa in world map. But like Syria / Algeria in Flashpoint.

Mideast map India and Ethiopia matched my style. I guess tend to start in bottom right corners ;)

Battleground USA. Won with British columbia was good defensive location but didnt fit my navy style. Nicaragua set up well so far.
      Is there a particular reason you would pick Argentina over say Brazil in S America?

But this was very detailed, thanks.
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • Teburu wrote:

Would argue really any Island Nation easily fills the "best country" spot, simply by virtue of Island Nations being impossible to take without a navy. Japan being the best of the Island Nations puts it on top of that list by default.
      Tho I'd argue that Europe is about the best spot you can start, high concentration of VP on a relatively small area in combination with the high dropout rate makes for a lot basically free VP
      Japan seems to be a common answer, so I will forsure try them.
      But Europe is always chaos, don't you get into firefights early on that make it hard to grow?
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • axxis32 wrote:

Colombia would be by answer, in almost all maps. They have decent enough cities (7)(6 in rising tides.. unless I missed something), easy expansionpath into south america, latin america and north america. 2 or 3 port cities depending on map and varied terrains to take advantage on.
      All in all, a very well balanced country
      I almost played as Colombia last game... will have to add it to the list.
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • Smallsword wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say... Turkey... which I have never played.

-Having so many home city ports with an inland capitol allows for naval dominance with minimal exposure...

-It's position in the Med. Sea is outside the center chaos and provides strategic blockade points of defense in a very natural progression...starting with access to the Black Sea ... Then the Eastern section to the Suez Canal... and finally the straight of Gibraltar to control the Med. Sea in whole.

-With the exception of Istanbul, it's only accessible by land from the East allowing for the concentration of ground units on that front.

-Istanbul is a freebee beachhead into the European theatre that is defendable by naval units.

-Being in between the Balkans and the Middle East provides early expansion into the two most city dense regions on the map.

-Where there are typically geographical coalitions formed in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa... Turkey is sought by any of them as an ally, but isn't seem as a mandatory expansion objective or as the most immediate threat for any of them.

-If going for a solo victory, there is ample VP to be gained by sea... Frigates and national guard may be the only units you'd actually need to win.
      I would have to agree with this also having never played as them.
      Reason being is that I regularly see global powers surrounding turkey, but they never attack and seem to leave them alone. I am guessing this mostly has to do with the terrain like you mentioned.
      CDR Crimson

Join Our Discord !
    • CDRCrimson42 wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Would argue really any Island Nation easily fills the "best country" spot, simply by virtue of Island Nations being impossible to take without a navy. Japan being the best of the Island Nations puts it on top of that list by default.
      Japan seems to be a common answer, so I will forsure try them.But Europe is always chaos, don't you get into firefights early on that make it hard to grow?
      hardly; my last two ww3 games i started in Europe: once as sweden and once as serbia, really only thing both have in common that someone tried to invade early on (like first 3 or so days) and an extremely high rate of inactive people after a while
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Folks FYI:

I found these by using Google's advanced search to look for "best nation OR country site:forum.conflictnations.com:"

By looking at only the thread titles and the snippets of text Google returned, I selected these from among everything in the first five search result pages.

I know there are some clinkers in the list. As an example, I'm pretty sure that the "Day 1 Guide" thread was a disaster.

It would be interesting to see how opinions have changed over time. Maybe when I'm truly retired I'll have time for stuff like that.

"What is past is prologue"

Jan 2022, Do You Guys Solo?
      Sep 2021, Day 1 guide
      Aug 2021, Landlocked is Key! Change my mind.
      Jun 2021, What are better countries to start with in Rising Tides?
      Jan 2021, Discussion: Which Country is the Best to Play As?
      Jan 2021, Worst country to play ?
      Dec 2020, Best Nations
      Dec 2020, Battleground USA
      Nov 2020, Rising Tides discussion
      Aug 2020, Best Countries In Overkill
      Jun 2020, Playable Countries Part 1
      Apr 2020, Your Favorite Country
      Mar 2020, Looking for Rising Tides Advice
      Feb 2020, Countries that are kind of hard to play as
      Feb 2020, Opinion: Disadvantaged European Country
      Jul 2018, Africa Strategy
      Jan 2018, Favourite starting place
      Feb 2017, The Ultimte Starting Position

The post was edited 2 times, last by KFGauss ().

• CDRCrimson42 wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Is there a particular reason you would pick Argentina over say Brazil in S America?
      But this was very detailed, thanks.
      simply I dont want multiple enemies on my border day 1; Chile is close but mtns slow them down and they have to worry about bolivia and peru...so focused on taking out brazil. Plus I liked that little inlet in argntina; still naval capable but can block of at the atlantic in 1 spot. Brazil could get rushed by Venezuela; Colombia; Peru; Argentina. I like to move in 1 direction; brazil you could be be fighting multiple fronts early.

Plus I feel like cheating if pick the huge countries ;)
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp