What are your most memorable moments from games you've played?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are your most memorable moments from games you've played?

My favorite times in the game are when things look totally f*ed, but I manage to pull things out of a nosedive. Sometimes, that happens because you grind your opponents down. That's satisfying, but not memorable.

What I'm talking about here are specific events where the fate of the game turned. You can share bad memorable moments, too, if you want. The ones I'm sharing are both in coalition games, and I'm certain those things alone wouldn't have won the war if not for the actions of my allies. But, they were pretty cool nonetheless:

#1 - Airstrike

I had a game where it was somewhere around turn 30, and we had just gone through who we thought were the toughest opponents. Then, we found Australia had a massive fleet of maxed out frigates, dozens of maxed out strike fighters, and a commander for both. Gold may have been involved. My strike fighters were useless against the frigates, and we needed to get to their homeland to win. This is where it's great to have friends...my allies had the ships to match the frigates. I dedicated myself to taking down the fighters. They were flying out of a base in the middle of China, and there were a lot of them, probably close to 30. I had maybe 10 strike fighters, also maxed out. I have to admit, I felt a bit like General Doolittle during his raid of Japan, even though I wasn't using carrier-based planes. I found the air base, and attacked it with missiles...I didn't want him to find where I was based. I hit a wing that was refueling, but where were the others? I was hoping they fell into the sea, but they attached again. They rebased...somewhere. It took some time, but I found the other base. I launched my remaining missiles, and sent the planes in just to make sure. The landing strip disappeared, and now there were trucks...slow-moving, easy-to-target transports for the grounded planes. Australia seemed to check out after he lost the planes, even though he fought on at sea. We ended up getting the coalition win.

#2 - Interception

This one just happened in a game I'm playing. We're facing a talented coalition, and only 2 members of mine (including me) were active. France had most of their forces in Russia, and we started the attack on his homeland. They had to get them back home quickly. For whatever reason, he sent them all in one massive transport plane fleet...12 of them in one big cluster. And, he sent them in a direct line from whatever base it was to Madrid, which he controlled. This had him flying right over my coalition's captured territory part of the way. So, he had a slow-moving fleet of planes because of the overstack, and passing over our territory meant I saw them. I didn't have air superiority fighters, but I had 7 strike fighters in the vicinity. I was based in Naples, so he was basically flying right over me; I got to chip away at them the entire way, taking out the last one just before it landed. I did have a surprise planned if he got too close to landing: blow up the Madrid air base, then continue to chase him as he tries to rebase. I learned some time ago that flying transport planes over enemy territory is a bad thing, but this is an extreme example of why. The game is still going, but it looks like France basically stopped playing after this happened.
    • Best battle had was a true battle for the med via land and sea. was coming through saudi and ukraine and italy had all of europe and half turkey.

Ukraine was burning massive gold had like 15 annex cities and all air force. First game really appreciated Frigs. He was sending tons of CMs and planes from turkey; but put up a wall of overlapping Frig AA Fire. Italy sent over his Navy and we battled via sea. Was pretty much a stand off for 5 days till other coalition could help me but first time they couldnt steam roll someone and then golder quit than we split europe like post WW2.

Actually was a cool game as only had 1 good Coal partner and got along with 2 others from other coalition. Ended up "letting" main guy from 2nd coalition win solo as by that time no one really wanted to fight and wasnt enough points for anyone to win. got 2nd in one of few non wins with close to 2k as think that was the solo vps back then; whatever it was was like < 100 than winner. Let him fly over and get his last few prov he needed to end it.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • #1 - Fighting against someone using truly massive amounts of Gold; not sure how much but it left the impression having been pretty insane

IK it's somewhat of a stereotypical scenario, but it's really one of these fights that just stuck in my mind. It kind of set my standard of what I consider to be "a lot" of gold spent.
      A long, long time ago, when PK was still an active alliance, I was playing a normal ww3 with two other members from my alliance. One Player, Belarus, expanded hella fast early on really just tripping all sorts of red flags, and Intel Agents pretty much just confirmed what we already suspected. So ofc the first thing you have to prioritize? Getting some TDS to avoid getting nuked. By the time we were somewhat ready to actually engage that guy, he owned all of Europe minus some small parts of Italy and Serbia. Eventually, we did only sort of beat him; really he just quit the game/became inactive at some point (Fighting was pretty much a draw, since there wasn't really that much progress made in terms of gaining land). While fighting someone who's using a lot of gold is not that unique of a battle, what really made it stick in my mind was just the sheer amount of casualties (IIRC about 300k of us three combined against his 600K total) and the sheer frustration felt at facing someone who instantly heals up his aircraft after they got hit (I usually love my artillery stacks to be about 50/50 in terms of aa/arty; so I eventually made a 10Stack of SAMs to kill at least some aircraft) because while you can lock ground (and naval) units with ranged attacks into combat and thus preventing the other guy from using gold to heal, this is not possible with aircraft.

#2 - My first Time

Simply by virtue of it being so embarrassing in hindsight. One of my friends, caaaaaake, who nowadays does not play con anymore initially got me into con, he actually tried to get me into supremacy first but it didn't really stuck when I tried it. So my first game? I did some ASF and AFVs while he did some towed artillery. We lost. To some dude playing as Germany using MBTs. I'm still kinda mad in hindsight that he didn't carry the game because he most definitely could've.

#3 - I can do this all-day

Simple WW3, yzjqx, his weeb friend and me found ourselves in a game with TheB2 and people from his "Elite" group or whatever they were called. We actually split our roles, yzjqx doing the arty and other ground stuff, his weeb friend got bullied into doing navy and I did ASF and Helis; pretty much providing airsupport. Only when we landed in Africa did they finally perceive us as a threat and pretty soon we were fighting for North Africa. One of them even managed to get out a couple of stealth bombers and did the High IQ move of targeting my airfields.
      My response? I simply built more. (Keep in mind that it was somewhat into the game already so resource income wasn't that low). I also let my ASF patrol above an airfield and they eventually killed the stealth bomber attacking it.

#4 - Giving other people PTSD

Remember how I said in #3 that I did helis? Well as soon as they saw me doing Helis they invested into MAA, A LOT, im talking high lvl MAA after a couple of days, now the funny thing about that one is that I actually didn't really feel like having that much of an impact simply by virtue of the MRLs doing most of the job. And now in Hindsight AWACs would probably have been a lot bigger of a threat to my Helis.

But now in a different game; namely a Battleroyale; that I joined with cake and yzjqx in my team; I have some of the people from that game as neighboring countries, and one of the very first things most the people immediately next to me to is to built MAA. To this day I like to thing that I left such an impact on them that the first thing to go through their minds when seeing me is "Oh shit its Teburu, get the MAA."
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Okay, so I remember one time as France where I manager to stay alive through all odds. Okay, here it comes: I startes playing a 4x WW3 game, and picked France. I joined a coalition with USA, UK and Canada. UK ended up being inactive, so it was pretty much just me, US and Canada. So I startes the game by taking Freiburg to get a buffer-zone to Strasbourg. I tried to get peace with Germany after that, but it didnt work. Therefore I built forts all over like the Maginot and moved a fuck-ton of troops there. Then he decided to attack in split-up attacks, making it extremely inefficient. Then Spain began attacking me, therefore I had to fight a two-front war. Luckily I managed to survive long enough for help to come from overseas
    • Most memorable ones have got to be the hardest fights. One that stands out so well....

i was Indonesia, first time playing Indonesia.

Leading coalition was European. They had all of europe, almost all of africa, almost all of Asia and almost all of south and North America. Only countries they didn't have was small and inactive island countries near Indonesia plus a few countries that i will list below. I had 500 VP, holding 4-5 countries in south east Asia.

European coalition had 4.5k VP. The only layers left that were somewhat active were South Africa (200-300VP), Afghanistan (300 VP), Mexico 150ISH VP.

Europeans came down and took Iran, meanwhile I was talking to Afghanistan, South Africa and Mexico to band together since neither of us would win solo. I left half my navy back and took the other half to protect Afghanistan/Pakistan shores and sent everything else to afghanistan for last stand.
      I guided them on how to pre defences. By the time they reached afghanistan, he had lvl 3+ bunkers in every city, a wall of SAMS, 3 stacks of maxed lvl choppers on stand by and a few tank units plus 3 big stacks of infantries that were guarding the front line and everything behind that line was empty.

I brought strike fighters, lvl 4 cruise missles, ballistic missiles, anti tank, SAM, radar, armoured fighting vehicles, TDS to reinforce the line.

South Africa and Mexico were very unresponsive but they were upgrading. I told Mexico to send his army near Iceland and wait there while South African navy went to clear the way for him s they were both sitting in the water, close to Spain for 2 game days and went offline.

They arrived in Afghanistan, 1 by 1. We kept taking them out and hitting them with everything we had but we would not move forward and just held the cities. My god we took out so many strike fighters and infantry. Turned out this coalition just rushed lvl 6 infantry and maxed lvl strike fighters and they were all active so they just overwhelmed everyone. I think Afghanistan and I were online for 16 hours, i worked but I could check every few minutes.

I launched so many missiles. Every stack in the water is hit it once, move back and throw couple of cruise missiles. Everytime I'd see strike fighters go after our infantries, I'd send my strike fighters after them and throw couple of cruise missiles. Everytime they would come near Afghanistan, I'd wait for them to get in mountain terrain and throw ballistic missiles/cruise missiles. They didn't take a single city from Afghanistan and Sweden decided he was going to gold his entire army back to life. We put in intel spies in every airfield and airport and if anything showed up at day change, ballistic missiles!

anyways afghanistan and I were exhausted irl so we mobilized and reorganized the front line and decided to call it a game and go to sleep and wake up to see the match be done. Literally 20 minutes before I was gonna go to bed, mexico responds. I told him go go go, take Germany, Sweden, UK, come down to Greece and I forget the other country. He had near max MBT, ICBM, Max infantry, TDS, SAM.

Afghanistan and I wake up, Mexico had taken german capital, greece was on fire, South Africa had completely demolished UK with his navy. Sweden had brought back his entire army and held of near Afghanistan and the Europeans came online around same time as us two. We had security council so we had replenished a bit too and I had lvl 5 recruitment offices in every city so I had replenished my warheads.

I sacrificed all of my strike fighters and tanks and sent them forward towards Turkey, while Afghanistan pushed north towards Moscow. Cruise missiles flying everywhere, i made sure not to throw in city centres and wait for units to reach provinces. All of Europeans' territories started going rogue. Greece had annexed 10-15 cities so he still put up a fight but I started making special forces when Mexico came in, so I flew them into Europe and took out only AA units with them and nuked everything else.

I think the game ended near day 80, longest match I've ever had. Point is never give up. The Europeans weren't amazing players but highly active and a ton of resources. The 4 of us didn't even talk to each other until Europeans started demolishing country after country and these 3 guys that helped me were the only 3 that responded to me.

An other match was 4 vs 10, but this is already long enough lol

The post was edited 1 time, last by Admira G1 ().

• This was probably nowhere near as grandiose as some of the other posts here, but I was pretty proud of this moment.

I was playing as New Zealand (would not recommend) and I was in a coalition with Australia and Indonesia. We decided to launch an attack against Vietnam, who was playing solo. I didn’t have as much experience back then, but it was a semi-solid invasion plan. I sent a 5-stack of maxed out Cruisers to bombard a coastal city, and then sent an invasion force that was relatively large (10-15 units, I don’t remember exactly) but it seemed like a solid plan at the time. When I sent over my cruisers, they were instantly attacked by TWO stacks of enemy ships. I immediately noticed the amount of damage being dealt and figured I had just stumbled into a 2:1 trap, and tried to draw away the two stacks of ships so my transport could land safely. This plan sort of worked. Vietnam followed me, and with the amount of damage I had already taken, I figured it was a lost cause to try and recover the stack. What I didn’t realize is that he only sent 1 stack, not two, and my transport got a little hammered. However, it was partially intact and landed in his city. I wasn’t online, so I didn’t see what he put up against me, but I was eventually defeated and Vietnam was suing for peace, so I must have inflicted some damage. I did invest heavily in the invasion, so it was a blow for me to lose that many troops.

Vietnam eventually joined our coalition because of a need to band together against the dominant European coalition. When Europe did eventually come knocking, I was still recovering from this loss (maybe it was bigger than I remember) but I built SAMs, TDS, Cruisers, Naval Patrol Aircraft, etc. I kind of was a bad coalition partner and didn’t send ground units to my allies when they were under attack, but it was kind of a lost cause. My allies started falling like dominoes. Vietnam got defeated, Indonesia and Australia were being bombarded by the Europeans. For some reason, they left me alone probably saving me for later, but one of my Naval Patrol Aircraft spotted a Norwegian submarine stack with an officer. Turns out, Naval Patrol Aircraft have anti-sub abilities. And even better, Subs don’t have aircraft defense or anything. I sent my aircraft to attack the stack, knowing that he couldn’t do any damage to me, and by going back and forth and back and forth, doing 5-6 damage each time, I eventually took out his entire Sub stack. I guess he was offline the whole time, because he didn’t move an inch.

After this, he got PISSED. He sent a 10 stack of Frigates straight towards my capital. I couldn’t see what kind of ship it was at the time, so I launched an embarrassing amount of nuclear cruise missiles at the stack and every single one of them got shot down. (It was WW2 apocalypse, so I got them for free at the start). I didn’t (and still don’t) understand anti-air defense, so I thought there was a 10 minute cooldown for anti-air attacks, and so I was so confused as to why it wasn’t working. I used my cruisers with superior attack range to kill his stack, (my towed artillery that I didn’t move for the entire game helped a bit too lmao). Germany launched some missiles at me, but I had invested in TDS, so I made quick work of them, and I think they got disinterested real quick, and figured there was easier VPs to find elsewhere.

It was still fun to play, even though I didn’t win. At least I kept my homeland intact while everyone around me fell. :D
      The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - George S. Patton
    • Most memorable has to be the blunder of Morocco. I had taken his homeland cities while he was away attacking others, so I seized the opportunity to teach him a lesson about defense. I take his cities and secure them, and I wait for him to inevitably come back to try and retake his homeland. I set up radar, and have ground forces and air force on standby because my navy was currently engaged. This dumb mf sends all his tanks and infantry in transport ships with zero protection, and within 1 hour I had destroyed 20 tanks, 30 infantry, and some other random units, without taking a single HP point of damage.

The worst part for him is there was a dock he could have used to get to his homeland undetected, and he didn't even think to use it.

This effectively lost him the game based on a single blunder, and I destroyed weeks worth of units in a matter of one hour.
      CDR Crimson
      Founder of The Militia Collective

Training and Screening Hub, New Players or Existing: Come Find your perfect Alliance here!

Join Our Discord !
    • GeneralLangmoen wrote:

Okay, so I remember one time as France where I manager to stay alive through all odds. Okay, here it comes: I startes playing a 4x WW3 game, and picked France. I joined a coalition with USA, UK and Canada. UK ended up being inactive, so it was pretty much just me, US and Canada. So I startes the game by taking Freiburg to get a buffer-zone to Strasbourg. I tried to get peace with Germany after that, but it didnt work. Therefore I built forts all over like the Maginot and moved a fuck-ton of troops there. Then he decided to attack in split-up attacks, making it extremely inefficient. Then Spain began attacking me, therefore I had to fight a two-front war. Luckily I managed to survive long enough for help to come from overseas
      I hate fighting multi fronts. Especially when I play on mobile. I have a hard time seeing and keeping up.
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • KFGauss wrote:

Admira G1 wrote:

Fusion7857 wrote:

. . . Ok so I'll explain AA to you, because it is tricky, mysterious mechanics and a player that understands AA can use it so well to get a massive advantage. . . .

Copied and pasted into my advice file - Some day I'll convert all the notes in that file into something offered to the public.
      would recommend what i wrote on it more, its pinned in the discord; what i understand his explanation is pretty convoluted and partially wrong
    • I'm not wrong though. What part? If I'm wrong I would actually like to know. I took a month break recently and came back a week ago so if it's updated I'd also like to know
      Edit: yea it's somewhat convoluted because you're not in the situation right now. I was painting a scenario that's very basic. Just need to keep track of all the parts but I don't think anything I said is wrong. Maybe you didn't understand my meaning

The post was edited 1 time, last by Admira G1 ().

• I‘ll have to check my doc for more details; but in general:
      There are actually 3 ways an AA can fire
      - offensive; the classic check at that occurs at a set time every ten minutes, all units within range are attacked at full force
      - ranged aa defense; attacking a unit within aa range triggers this; however only the unit that has attacked the „protected“ one is attacked/killed and only as many different stacks as required to kill will use their attack
      -pointdefense; AA that always hits first and has zero cooldown, only one that uses def dmg
      and only def dmg, while not needing cooldown attacking aa directly still sends it into one
      (there are some rumors of double damage every now and then, meaning aa using both off and def value when attacked, but nothing i’ve could verify)

the doc i was referrint to: docs.google.com/document/d/1oV…SkDGIlY8/edit?usp=sharing
    • Came to link the wiki that covers AA envelope and point defence (will do that now anyway for anyone that missed it). Combat - Conflict of Nations Wiki (conflictnations.com)

Just read what Teburu has on discord and it covers practically everything in the wiki, and more.

From what i can see, the sentiment is basically the same in all three explanations but Teburu has it better laid out and easier to understand for newer players. Highly recommend.

Only thing at the top of my mind that could be expanded on in it is bubble piercing and splash damage.
      ''Miseris succurrere disco''
    • Teburu wrote:

I‘ll have to check my doc for more details; but in general:
      There are actually 3 ways an AA can fire
      - offensive; the classic check at that occurs at a set time every ten minutes, all units within range are attacked at full force
      - ranged aa defense; attacking a unit within aa range triggers this; however only the unit that has attacked the „protected“ one is attacked/killed and only as many different stacks as required to kill will use their attack
      -pointdefense; AA that always hits first and has zero cooldown, only one that uses def dmg
      and only def dmg, while not needing cooldown attacking aa directly still sends it into one
      (there are some rumors of double damage every now and then, meaning aa using both off and def value when attacked, but nothing i’ve could verify)

the doc i was referrint to: docs.google.com/document/d/1oV…SkDGIlY8/edit?usp=sharing
      I skimmed through the file. I will assume I am actually wrong so I'll delete my post. Currently in a map that has very little activity so great time to test these out for myself when I have time later
    • Teburu wrote:

would recommend what i wrote on it more, its pinned in the discord; what i understand his explanation is pretty convoluted and partially wrong
      I thought what I wrote might cause something like this to pop out of the woodwork. ;)

Teb - Your doc has two footnotes - I can see the reference to the first one, but not the reference to the second one. Do I need to get my eyes checked or is the second one missing?
    • KFGauss wrote:

Teburu wrote:

I thought what I wrote might cause something like this to pop out of the woodwork. ;)
      Teb - Your doc has two footnotes - I can see the reference to the first one, but not the reference to the second one. Do I need to get my eyes checked or is the second one missing?
      pretty much the next sentence after the first one

fuck your aircraft in particular” card of AA[1]. What is it though? Its a mechanic that gives units that get attacked by aircraft[2]
    • Other would be went and destroyed this golders entire home land and sent all 90 to the point of almost turning rogue then he got on and completely rebuild them and his entire navy that I just spend hrs destroying and annexed all 90 cities so they wouldn’t turn rogue then just started letting nukes fly I had to leave coalation and take my friends vp site with their permission cause we new we were screwed and got solo win right when troops were getting across the ocean he had entire north and south americas and some of asia he was Cuba I was france he was messaging and was so mad glad to help make him support the devs