Frigates vs Cruisers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Frigates vs Cruisers

What are your thoughts on Frigates vs Cruisers? At first, I assumed that Cruisers were the superior naval unit, but since then I’ve started to doubt my conclusion. After seeing @Buckeyechamp’s Nicaragua thread among others, I wanted to pose this question: Which is the better all-around naval unit: Frigates or Cruisers?

Here are the pros and cons of Frigates and Cruisers that I’ve read about and seen, feel free to add anything that you think is important.

Cruisers
      Better anti-ship defense
      More HP
      Takes fewer upgrades to max out (less resource-intensive)

Frigates
      Better anti-air defense
      Cheaper to build
      Fewer buildings required to produce

I know from this, it might not seem like Frigates are even a candidate for superiority, but I see experienced players using them all the time. Why?

If you believe that frigates are better when put into a certain stack combination, I would be interested to see your opinion on that as well.

I read this thread, and it seems OP got completely shut down by everyone in the replies. However, the ideas did seem sound to me, and some in the comment section did concede that frigates were good units, just not for the reasons that OP cited. A clarification of those ideas would be helpful as well.
      The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. - George S. Patton
    • option C: destroyers; they are the sort of allround unit in terms of navy

major advantage cruisers have over any other naval vessel is range; they start out at 75 range and get to 100 quite early, other ships in comparison have to wait a lot longer. And its precisely this range advantage that makes them pretty much untouchable in a navy vs navy fight
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Frigs .... I can produce many faster / cheaper best all around.

1.5 Frigs will smoke a single Destroyer. And by time someone coming at me with a decent cruiser stack Ill have 2 full frig stacks ( primary 1 off / 4 frigs.... combined killer AA) and a back up 5 frig. I dont slam my ships into people so im htiing then giving up ground towards my second stack.

And Destroyer not well rounded at all. Its the tank of the sea and zero air cover. Does help can detect subs but I can get that with naval patrol.

Cruisers are fast thats only thing I hate when facing. My go to stack is 4 frigs / 1 Officer. Last game did mix in Destroyers as had too many frigs.

Im a big proponent of producing as fast / early as possible and the opportunity costs of research and building costs / times.

Ill have 3 or 4 frigs before you can even begin building cruisers.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Later in game if extra frigs they make moble SAMS. Advanced level Frigs shoot down quite a bit. Being big on Air power also I would 1000 pct rather face destroyers over a frig /cruiser stack. Get AA out to 100 miles can hit planes 3 times if try to attack.

Destroyer point defense only. Cruisers low AA range and think half of a FRIG.

Last Rising tides I whooped 2 countries on naval battles and they had Cruisers and Destroyers; Elite Subs; Aircraft carriers.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp