Deplorable Gear Rant

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Deplorable Gear Rant

Let’s get right to the point

Deployable units suck. The title contains no typos

Let’s talk about deployables in general. This is a mechanic that was introduced in Season 6 with the UGV. Now, as many of you may recall, Season 6 was HEAVILY delayed. I mean it was delayed over, and over, and it took ages to come out. This was because of the fact that deployables were not playing nicely with Legacy Code. From what I understand, DG had to rewrite a small part of the Legacy Code for this mechanic to work properly. This was a major project and there was a significant level of hype surrounding it

Why was it a major disappointment?

1. UGV
      UGV is an armored vehicle that can be deployed from certain units using deployable gear. Players flocked to see how it worked and how it could possibly change the meta
      However, we were all disappointed to find that it was essentially a funny looking CRV. Being able to deploy from other units may have seemed like a game changer, but it really doesn’t make much of a difference.
      I am not sure if the devs realized this, but there is such a major rift between the infantry and armor damage on this thing that the stats dwindle when dealing with a mixed stack. It can tear into infantry sure, but even one CRV in that stack slashes the overall damage in half. In a public game, people love to mix their infantry with MBTs, meaning it won’t do anything to the average land stack. This is only worsened by its low health. It has to have other units stacked with it in order to stay alive
      One of my hopes is that this could be the perfect companion to naval infantry due to the terrain bonus and the fact that naval inf was one of the units that could deploy it. Naval infantry and UGV both have a massive bonus when attacking a city. The problem is that they also both have a huge focus on infantry damage. Again, the one damage distribution CRV will drive the overall damage into the ground. Had the UGV been given respectable armor damage, it would have been viable
      Perhaps it could accompany Spec Ops? It doesn’t have stealth, and is weak by itself, so no
      Since it gets a boost in cities, and deals mostly infantry damage, it could be a good companion for tank destroyers to fill their infantry damage. However, tank destroyers cannot deploy it. You could use its high infantry damage to control insurgencies, but this is something that NG and CRV do just as good
      It is not a viable option in competitive matches
      To summarize, it’s a ripoff of the CRV that requires a secret weapon lab to make. It’s not good

2. SUAV
      Next season, the UGV has not been touched. It is unclear if DG noticed that players were not happy with it. But then a new one comes out: SUAV
      This one shows a lot more promise. It’s essentially a one-time-use patrolling aircraft that can be deployed by various units
      This one is also really bad
      It takes 10 minutes(?) to activate after deploying it, so it does not work as immediate support. Rather, it is more like a trap
      Now here’s the punchline: It counts as fixed wing
      The fixed wing classification, in addition to its very low HP, means it can be killed very easily. The HP is so low that at level 1, it is likely that the stack it is hitting will destroy it with point defense. This makes it practically useless against any well-made stack. It might be able to get a good hit in on your standard infantry-tank stack at high level, but even one SAM anywhere within range invalidates it. If the enemy is active, they may be able to use ASF to get rid of it as well. The corvette can deploy it, but for what? Any ship stack will kill it. You could use it against transports, but why not use the corvette itself?
      The damage is also disproportionate, though not as badly as UGV. By making deployable gear with the intent to use this unit, you are investing in a unit that has a very good chance of dealing no damage. Again, this unit is not even taken into consideration in competitive games

What really kills me about this whole situation is the fact that DG spent months creating this new mechanic and two seasons later they are still locked behind a paywall! In addition to being terrible!
      This confuses me. Are they scared to make the unit overpowered? AIP sub and elite bomber are considered to be good, almost overpowered. Why are they afraid when adjusting these stats? They can balance them later, like they did with the railgun. And people are paying for these. How many people wanted to buy SC and refrained after seeing how awful these units are? If they release the unit in an overpowered state and balance them later, it’s better than releasing it underpowered and never bothering to improve them. This is 2 seasons now that we have gone without a real “Elite” unit

I will laugh if a standard military equipment such as landmines are a season-exclusive unit and not a normal unit. I have zero expectations for them. Dorado needs to communicate with its players and create units that are balanced in both the Public Game playing field and the Competitive playing field. Maybe these units look good on paper, but ask any experienced player and they will say the same thing
      Yee Haw

The post was edited 1 time, last by Colonel Waffles ().