Joining the Coalition of a Former Enemy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Joining the Coalition of a Former Enemy

I'm a huge believer in diplomacy. Besides talking to other countries as potential coalition members, it's not unusual for me to congratulate a worthy opponent on a great battle, whether or not I'm the one who won. But, the idea of joining sides with someone who was once trying to destroy you seemed so bizarre that I never thought it could ever happen.

I am now in my second game where I am on the same side as a former enemy.

In the first situation, friends I usually play with encountered a really motivated enemy in China, who had friends of his who were in the coalition with him. I inflicted over 80,000 casualties on China, and China inflicted over 60,000 on me. It was an Apocalypse game, so a lot of nukes were used. It was brutal, and neither of us was making much headway. My friends and I talked about how exhausting that game was. But, I was impressed with his play, and I told him so. Then, after exchanging equally complimentary messages, he told me one day that his friends from the pub decided to go back to the pub, and he wanted to know if he could join our coalition, which was down to 4 at the time. My friends were so tired of fighting that they had no trouble putting the past behind us, and we went on to win with our new friend.

In the game I'm playing now, I have Bolivia, and I was attacked on Day 1 by Chile. After turning back their forces, Venezuela - an ally of Chile - complimented my on how well I was playing. He decided to sit out the attack, but Peru and Cuba both joined in the attack. I still managed to drive Chile back, and keep the other two on the run for several days. Columbia - the head of the coalition - also complimented me on my play, and also decided to stay on the sidelines. Peru turned out to be an excellent player, and there was no way I could hold them and two others off forever. I was expecting to sign in one day and find my country was gone. It was, mostly, but I also had a message from Columbia. He invited me to join their coalition to replace Chile, who decided to stop playing. I thought he was kidding at first, since I literally had no cities and no infantry. I joined their coalition, and Peru took the Rogue city, which returned it to me. They actually let me declare war to retake my homeland, and reestablish my country. I am now rebuilding and helping the coalition.

That last case is so unusual I don't expect to hear many who have experienced it. But, I am interested in hearing about cases where you joined former enemies, or where they joined you. And, how did that work out? The fear is that they're going to betray you, but that didn't happen in my case.
    • Your second situation is a bit unusual. I have on several occasions ended up allying with former enemies and/or reorganizing coalitions to include former opponents depending on the situation. I agree that diplomacy is a huge factor in success in this game. Regarding your second situation specifically, I haven't experienced that exactly, but I have had something somewhat similar happen. In one of my games, my African coalition was fighting South America for global dominance. There were only two main coalitions left by this point. My forces were in the process of taking over Sweden when all of a sudden a Cuban task force shows up. Basically, Cuba had been completely conquered by the South American coalition, and he fled with his few remaining ships and infantry to Northern Europe. I took him in and gave him safe harbor for information about the South American coalition. He took over Finland and basically served as my coalition's unofficial ally/mercenary.

A bit later on, I led an expedition to fight the South American coalition in their homeland. With our help, Cuba was able to recover his homeland and we ended the game victoriously with Cuba as our unofficial ally to the end. It was the first time (and only time) that I've seen an essentially dead player with nothing left come back to life and recover his homeland.
    • First situation is an actual genurine partnership and friendship and hugs and kisses. A tiredness.

Second situation was pity, regret, backstabs, and ass kickery all around South America.

My story is kind of different:
      It was World War 3 (4x speed) it was like in between day 20-27 I was Germany (weinersnitshel). Norway was my ally since day 1, me and my coalition partner China (don't ask why) realized that the rest of the coalition gone inactive. SO me and Norway was gonna make a coalition and he asked Libya (a enemy of mine) to join and I asked China to join. My Germany was most of Europe all of middle east and 2.5/6 of Africa, (IMPERIALISM/COLONIALISM) Libya has most of Africa, China had most of Asia Norway had Scandinavia and most of the Balkans. So we were pritty much all connected, we decided to just finish off everything. We won I came first place.

I'm joust gloting at this point. But that's my different story
      "A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything" - Malcom X
    • Italy is Appalled by such actions. "Who; Us? No sir; Germany was the bad guy. We signed up for wrong side by mistake; we want to be your friend. Die German Scum"

history.com/this-day-in-histor…0side%20of%20the%20Allies.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp