Building Economy Instead of Conquest: How Does This Work?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Building Economy Instead of Conquest: How Does This Work?

...or does it work? The tactics I see in this game seem to fall into one of three categories, more or less. I'm going to use the names of games I've played (which some of you will recognize) to name them:
      • Command & Conquer - Some of you are familiar with the RTS game Command & Conquer, where the "tank rush" was a popular tactic: you build as fast as you can, then rush the enemy's base, hoping to overwhelm them before they get set up. This can work on the short-term, and it can work in the early going when no one has had a chance to research. But, if the enemy is prepared, you're probably going to end up throwing away your units.
      • SimCity - I have an coalition member in one game I'm playing who spent the first several days doing nothing but building. I have Italy, and I was attacked by West Germany (Cold War map), and my ally has Benelux. I asked him to help, and he didn't do anything. I ended up driving West Germany back on my own. I asked him on day 8 if he was going to invade anyone, or maybe help me if I need help in the future, since all he's done the whole time is building. His reply: "yea, just need a military b4 I can invade anyone lol".
      • Civilization - All civilizations throughout history have encountered war. You do need to build, but you also need to go to war. This is what I call the balanced approach, which I like to think I use most of the time. You need to build, but you also need to stop the bad guys from conquering you. And, you need to capture resources (and territory) so your economy can grow.

I really don't understand the SimCity approach. I have conquered many countries that do this, but I have not seen being Switzerland work in a game that, well, has CONFLICT right there in the name. I don't think most who do this have the attitude that it's hilarious to even suggest that they move outside their borders, but I do wonder how this approach can ever work. In the case of Benelux, I finally kicked him after asking more than once for him to help. I have to think the 23 coalition victories (out of 330 games played!) had to have been in coalitions where the others did all the heavy lifting (and light lifting). Or, maybe all those wins (and the 1 solo win he had) were when he played a more balanced approach, and now he's in "retirement" from the whole conquest thing.

But, maybe I'm missing something. Can this approach actually result in victory? And, if so, how?
    • No not really because no matter how much you build up eco, you will eventually fall behind people that actually do conquer stuff in terms of resources, and quite massively so.
      Maybe not against inexperienced players, but an experienced player that building up some momentum and has started to get the snowball rolling? absolutely no chance.

Frankly i think that the sim city approach is more born out of cowardice; trying to get to highlevel units before other people do and thus safely conquer stuff later on. I would argue that on some level it , which is kinda ironic imo, is worse at that than people that actually conquer early on. Keep in mind that the first couple days everyone has about the same starting units so the gap in unit strength is pretty small, this small gap is incredibly easily exploited with a sufficient gap in skill and/or experience.
      Also: More conquest = more resources = more research/building

Not expanding means you will hit the softcap of what you are able to do a lot earlier
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • I build enough to conquer and build economy via conquest. which feeds war machine to build better units to take out better opponents as game progresses.

Early on its just you need more than other guy (or even same as can beat with tactics). In history those who just had slightly better weapons dominated (crossbow vs reg bow); better armor; stronger steal; first missiles were flaming catapult objects instead of rocks; WW1 could have air superiority with a few biplanes; etc.

Ex. Day 2 or 3 if i have one or two corvettes and you have nothing; Im king of the sea (its all relative). I can take you out instead of waiting to build a real fleet.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • I agree with @Teburu in the beginning - if you look at it from a econonic way - i have to ask yourself do i use the resources to build and crow or the recruti and grow.

If you are a smart leader and dont lose more resources fighting and conquering then what you loot after the fight then you hace a positiv outcome.

If this outcome is higher then beeing peaceful and just upgrading your industry then You will most likly win in the end. Sure there are more factors to win a game...lets say 6 players turn on you in the end...that makes it hard as well...

The economy of the Sim City aproach capt with lvl 5 industry...asfter hat you can do bunkers to raise moral to 100% and maybe harbour and airports the the retunr on investment is to weak ont this.

And as a Sim City player you have lots of unused resources(unit upkeep)...just sitting around. getting fat and generating costs without a direct connection to a benefit...this always bothers me...i want my units to fight for their daily payroll....

From my latest games: Guess who is canada...

ressis.png
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Moon Tsu wrote:

Capnhappy wrote:

In a recent game, my coalition and I took out a player who had hardly built a military; instead, he annexed almost every single city that he had conquered (around 20).
      This reminds me...I'm going to start a new topic for "weirdest things you've seen an opponent do in a game". I once saw an opponent who built an airbase in every province.
      I saw this in this game with airfields. Same guy some how managed to not have a capital?? was a noob as was like dude where is your capital and didnt realize why homeland at 50 pct.

One game guy built combat outpost in every prov...lol.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp