No Free Field Upgrades

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I agree with Second Cannae and Dealer of Death (and anyone else who agreed with them).

While the idea is interesting it would be pretty complicated for some, annoying for others who are more experienced and used to the normal way, and way way too much resources will be used up because of this.

For example. If your upgrading your jets but your in per say Europe or Asia and in the middle of a battle but the opponents jets are better upgraded than yours you have to go back get the upgrade and risk losing your attack force. If you think about it it'll ruin a good game for a lot of people if they have to deal with going back every time to get an upgrade.

On another note. Please keep Politics off the forum
    • xXWolfXx wrote:

For example. If your upgrading your jets but your in per say Europe or Asia and in the middle of a battle but the opponents jets are better upgraded than yours you have to go back get the upgrade and risk losing your attack force. If you think about it it'll ruin a good game for a lot of people if they have to deal with going back every time to get an upgrade.
      Nope.
      Warning - upcoming Wall of Text:
      Display Spoiler

For example.
      For grins and giggles assume that you and your opponent have been in lockstep on tech upgrades.
      (If you aren't, then it doesn't matter whether you have free field upgrades or not, one side has an advantage).

At the moment, you are both wanting the same provinces.
      If your opponent pulls all his forces out to upgrade them, then the provinces are yours to capture for free with your lower tech units.
      While he is out upgrading those units one level, you are running rampant over the remaining countryside.

Yes, once he returns to battle he will have a one level tech advantage on your fielded units, but how much land will he have to capture to make up for the time spent upgrading?
      Plus the advantage is only one level, not an insurmountable problem for you especially if he has to attack entrenched units.

So instead, he only pulls a few units out at a time for upgrade, and keeps the rest in the field.
      Again, you have the numerical superiority by not moving your units out.
      Unless he pulls an inconsequential number of units out a time, you can still take advantage of the numbers difference to push him back.
      He loses land again, just not as much as when doing wholesale refurbishment.

Which brings us to neither side pulling units out for upgrades, preferring to keep maximum strength in the field.
      The only upgrades that either side sees are those new units from normal production.
      In this instance,the game reflects military reality.
      Both sides fight with the army they have, and the new tech trickles in over time.

So with no free field upgrades, it becomes a balancing act, pitting your skill at managing your forces against his.

• xXWolfXx wrote:

Basically what I tried to say was that it's just really annoying to have to have your jet upgraded every time you research a new level. It just ruins the fun of the game to have to do it all the time. It becomes too time consuming
      Then don't upgrade them.
      Use them in the field till they either die or get too far behind the tech curve.
      Only then, pull the survivors (if any) back for refurbishment/upgrade.

In many wars units representing the forefront of technology at the start of a conflict became outclassed by later models.
      The older units weren't scrapped the moment a newer model came out.
      Instead they moved to secondary theaters, or were relegated to garrison duty and strategic reserve roles.
    • For the point of realism and to benefit the SIM City players that do economie first and army second this is a real benefit.

Especially when i think about upgrade times... @Hydralysk an instant upgrade would not be benfitial so you would al least need half the time of the normal contruction time for an upgrade.

Upgrading then woudld only benefit experiences units...which would have to be a nice additional thing...the more kills the more experience the more moral and fighting power.

We have seen this in many strategy games like Rome Total War. Its standard.

But then again...it can be complicated for neewbees...but what isnt complicated for them at all? Like surviving 5 minute in a game and doing a more complex thing then building an army base and 1 inf before droping inactive?

I really would spend more time on how to make the game easier for babys that lose interest anyway) but to give it more depth for the players that enjoys the game for more then a 5 min period whiel waiting for the bus.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Hydralysk wrote:

Currently when a new technology is unlocked, all units of the earlier tech are instantly upgraded to the latest model.
      That don't make no sense.
      I am having a hard time imagining an F-5 in flight morphing into an F16 in an instant.

I believe that when new technologies appear, only units produced after that instant will have the upgrade.
      All units existing before that will stay at the old tech level.

To upgrade the old units, bring them back to the factory and (repair) them, in a manner similar to damaged buildings.

this would be way to complicated for the legacy code
      “I hate 4x” -me
    • Killiam07 wrote:

This suggestion is ridiculous
      Depends.
      Right now you accept the gross simplification that countries jump ten years of technology in the space of a day.
      You allow invisible F16 fighters to tail along your F-5's just so the pilots change planes in midflight when the tech upgrade occurs.

The current game mechanics are what are ridiculous, but they do have the advantage of saving you from having to deal with many tactical and strategic options present in the current world.
    • Hydralysk wrote:

playbabe wrote:

It would be damage distribution hell.
      ? :?:
      Because Units of different Levels are not exactly the same (like e.g.: motorized and mechanized Inf) they will not share healthpool, this in return means that damage will be split between more Units which means that a stack can survive longer without losing individual Units.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Hydralysk wrote:

playbabe wrote:

It would be damage distribution hell.
      ? :?:
      Because Units of different Levels are not exactly the same (like e.g.: motorized and mechanized Inf) they will not share healthpool, this in return means that damage will be split between more Units which means that a stack can survive longer without losing individual Units.
      Okay, thanks.
      I have obviously lost the conversation thread.
      I thought the topic was 'no free field upgrades'.
    • OK, how about this:

Instead of bringing the units to the upgrade shops, we bring the upgrade shops to the units?
      I think someone else posted a similar idea first.

Add a unit to the construction menu, Maintenance Battalion /Navy Repair Ship
      It upgrades the unit, at a resource cost and processing time.
      Each tech level upgrade decreases the processing time.

And as an added benefit, it repairs existing units, just slower than a hospital.
    • okay, let’s get into context. Late game against a enemy toe to toe with you. Researches on 24/7, upgrading your stuff. About 100 units near his border. Again, he’s Germany and your playing Colombia, you managed to take position in France. Your saying what you want to implement is having to make my troops do a 2 day travel to get an upgrade?

what a logistical nightmare
      “I hate 4x” -me