No Free Field Upgrades

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Killiam07 wrote:

Your saying what you want to implement is having to make my troops do a 2 day travel to get an upgrade?
      Okay, let us get into examples.
      Late game, you are Columbia with 100 units attacking Germany from the French border.

First off, congratulations.

Germany is really sucking lemons seeing you have fought your way to his border with a massive force posed to invade.
      You must really be kicking his rear both in combat power and economic strength.
      I don't think at this point it matters much what tech advantage the Krauts may have, they should be suing for peace.

That written, now for a wall of text.
      Display Spoiler

However, assuming that he still wants to fight, then you both have a decision to make.

Do you pull troops out of the fight to get an upgrade, then return to battle?
      If so, how many?

For Germany, judging by the enemy poised on his homeland border, I would be hard pressed to pull anything out, giving you an additional numerical advantage.
      While those units aren't there, you are pushing in, taking advantage of his lack of forces available to fight with.
      So if he does want to yank a significant number out for upgrade, as Columbia you should applaud his efforts.

For you, the same holds true.
      Keeping all your units on the front line puts maximum pressure on the Germans to do the same.
      If you want to pull a token force out to upgrade, be my guest.
      Anything more and you risk handing over the initiative to the Germans.

Since you are Columbia, you already have a long lead time for reinforcements to reach the German front.
      Hang on to what you already have there, and let the new upgraded stuff arrive in the normal course of events.

• Hydralysk wrote:

Killiam07 wrote:

Your saying what you want to implement is having to make my troops do a 2 day travel to get an upgrade?
      Okay, let us get into examples.Late game, you are Columbia with 100 units attacking Germany from the French border.

First off, congratulations.

Germany is really sucking lemons seeing you have fought your way to his border with a massive force posed to invade.
      You must really be kicking his rear both in combat power and economic strength.
      I don't think at this point it matters much what tech advantage the Krauts may have, they should be suing for peace.

That written, now for a wall of text.

However, assuming that he still wants to fight, then you both have a decision to make.

Do you pull troops out of the fight to get an upgrade, then return to battle?
      If so, how many?

For Germany, judging by the enemy poised on his homeland border, I would be hard pressed to pull anything out, giving you an additional numerical advantage.
      While those units aren't there, you are pushing in, taking advantage of his lack of forces available to fight with.
      So if he does want to yank a significant number out for upgrade, as Columbia you should applaud his efforts.

For you, the same holds true.
      Keeping all your units on the front line puts maximum pressure on the Germans to do the same.
      If you want to pull a token force out to upgrade, be my guest.
      Anything more and you risk handing over the initiative to the Germans.

Since you are Columbia, you already have a long lead time for reinforcements to reach the German front.
      Hang on to what you already have there, and let the new upgraded stuff arrive in the normal course of events.

TRANSLATION:
      Now you have a choice, deal with a pointless "ma realism" mechanic that will suck all the fun completely out of the game as if it were a black hole dumped on your head, ...
      or
      play something else that hasn't been funsucked to death.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

TRANSLATION:Now you have a choice, deal with a pointless "ma realism" mechanic that will suck all the fun completely out of the game as if it were a black hole dumped on your head, ...
      or
      For you, of course.
      For the rest of us, we have better chance to deal with the same strategic problems that real world commanders face.

This:

Or ...

Choose wisely.
      :D
    • Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

TRANSLATION:Now you have a choice, deal with a pointless "ma realism" mechanic that will suck all the fun completely out of the game as if it were a black hole dumped on your head, ...
      or
      For you, of course.For the rest of us, we have better chance to deal with the same strategic problems that real world commanders face.

This:

Or ...

Choose wisely.
      give me the second one
      I may or may not exist
    • Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

or
      For you, of course.For the rest of us me only, we I have better chance to deal with the same strategic problems that real world commanders face.

This:

Or ...

Choose wisely.
      First, Fixed(You don't get to speak for anyone else)
      When a game becomes a problem simulator, it is neither fun, nor no longer a game.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

First, Fixed(You don't get to speak for anyone else)
      Sure I do.If others don't agree, they can post as well as the next guy.

No, you don't, especially considering it is 10 to ZERO against your proposal for various reasons. I can assume the majority based on this sample (all we have to go on), not you. Checkmate, you lose.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Checkmate, you lose.
      Once again, nope.If you are going to make a claim, at least get your facts right.
      There is at least ONE person in favor of this idea, not ZERO as you claim.

So until the developers decide otherwise, that makes this modification a viable option.

No, wrong again. I assume you are referring to kurt, but you forgot the maxim that everything before the "But" is BS.
      and even 9-1, I can still claim the majority and say, no everyone hates it.

Dear Devs, please Deep Six this idea, it is bad as food supply lines.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

I assume you are referring to kurt, ...
      Now I know you understand the danger of making an assumption, since I was only referring to me.
      I like the idea, or I wouldn't propose it.

And again, please get your facts right.
      If at least one person is in favor, everyone cannot hate it.
      Claiming otherwise is simply not telling the truth at a minimum, or a blatant falsehood at the worst.

So Devs, please adopt this idea. It provides greater strategic depth to the game, and allows more emergent play.

• I, for one, like the idea. Yes, I would like to have some sort of automatic system installed as well in the game to make this NOT a logistical nightmare it would be sometimes. Really that's all these haters are complaining about. Fix it, and you'll be fine.

Also, you know, you don't have to upgrade your units... you could just leave them at the level they are.
      Good luck with that :rolleyes:
      More realistically, you wouldn't have to upgrade that many and you could use lower levels for cannon fodder (easier hit & run, diversion, extra HP or damage, etc. etc.) or other purposes

It would add more tactical and strategic depth to the game, something which is somewhat lacking at the moment. (ugh, disgusting Elite Swarm UAVs as well...)

Now it's 9-2.

I was thinking of something else but I forgot it, so I might add it later if I remember.
    • I am 100% absolutely against this idea.

If I would be in favor of making something "more realistic" - here is what I would prefer:

Units that cannot trace a supply line back to a homeland or annexed city lose combat ability and/or take a small amount of damage each hour. A less drastic version would be to allow supply lines to be traced to any friendly city.

While I understand the resistance to all units automatically upgrading, even for example for aircraft units in flight, your solution adds a lot of complexity for just a small amount of fun decision making. The tediousness of dealing with this when I have a large army would be VERY unpleasant, and would change the nature of the game from "having fun" to "going to work". It would also mean I would have to stop playing because it would strain my eyes so badly having to distinguish between my level 5 motorized infantry units and my level 4 infantry units and ... well you get the idea.

10-2
    • How about this, but only for tier upgrades? (In Motorized Infantry for example, the tier upgrades are Level 1 (Basic), Level 4 (Advanced), and Level 6 (Modern))
      It would make it so much less tedious and annoying while possibly even adding to the emphasis of the strategic/tactical element - now it's not, "oh, do I care about 1 level?" it's "these units have entirely different capacities and the less upgraded one is severely disabled compared to the other." They will do field upgrades for any research on upgrades within the tier capacity (for Tier 1 motorised infantry for example, it would be Level 1 > Level 2 > Level 3 free field upgrades, but once they reach the tier upgrade, Level 4, then the upgrade is not free and not in the field.
    • Clock wrote:

How about this, but only for tier upgrades? (In Motorized Infantry for example, the tier upgrades are Level 1 (Basic), Level 4 (Advanced), and Level 6 (Modern))
      It would make it so much less tedious and annoying while possibly even adding to the emphasis of the strategic/tactical element - now it's not, "oh, do I care about 1 level?" it's "these units have entirely different capacities and the less upgraded one is severely disabled compared to the other." They will do field upgrades for any research on upgrades within the tier capacity (for Tier 1 motorised infantry for example, it would be Level 1 > Level 2 > Level 3 free field upgrades, but once they reach the tier upgrade, Level 4, then the upgrade is not free and not in the field.
      With all due respect, clock, ...

The KING of CoN News!!!

• SAITAM78 wrote:

I agree with the idea! Anything that can make this game more realistic, I think is great!

And if you don't like thinking or planning for a strategy game, then go for the arcades!!
      I LIKE thinking and planning in a strategy game, what I don't like is thinking or planning logistics and dumb minutia while I am trying to play a strategy game.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Teburu wrote:

Counterpoint: If you like realism so much, go and fight a real war, there are a few going on currently
      You got the:

Russian-Ukraine War
      Israel-Palestine War
      Afghanistan (As a Taliban Soldier)

Those are your major options
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris