No Free Field Upgrades

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• No Free Field Upgrades

Currently when a new technology is unlocked, all units of the earlier tech are instantly upgraded to the latest model.
      That don't make no sense.
      I am having a hard time imagining an F-5 in flight morphing into an F16 in an instant.

I believe that when new technologies appear, only units produced after that instant will have the upgrade.
      All units existing before that will stay at the old tech level.

To upgrade the old units, bring them back to the factory and (repair) them, in a manner similar to damaged buildings.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hydralysk ().

• Hydralysk wrote:

Currently when a new technology is unlocked, all units of the earlier tech are instantly upgraded to the latest model.
      I am having a hard time imagining an F-5 in flight morphing into an F16 in an instant.

I believe that when new technologies appear, only units produced after that instant will have the upgrade.

To upgrade the old units, bring them back to the factory and (repair) them, in a manner similar to damaged buildings.

That's a feature of the sister game New World Empires. Another reason why that game is trash.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

Hydralysk wrote:

That's a feature of the sister game New World Empires. Another reason why that game is trash.
      isnt it also nowadays a thing in con 1.5? i vaguely recall something like that
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Currently when a new technology is unlocked, all units of the earlier tech are instantly upgraded to the latest model.

Teburu wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Hydralysk wrote:

1.5? Is this a leak? Never heard of this...
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Tifo_14 wrote:

Hydralysk wrote:

1.5? Is this a leak? Never heard of this...
      i meant cow, call of war
      their 1.5 made a couple of dramatic changes
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Hydralysk wrote:

The Destroyer1 wrote:

I agree with Timmy...
      Any particular reason you want units transforming like autobots in mid flight?

<X
      Any reason you want to make scarce resources even more scarce?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Any reason you want to make scarce resources even more scarce?
      Why would resources become more difficult to find?

I'm starting to wonder if you are intentionally being thick headed, just to troll. No, I meant how would having to use resources that could be used normally to upgrade units be more fun/an improvement, not to mention the tedium and lengthening of games especially on WW3 sized maps of slogging your units from the front lines, back for upgrades, and then back to the front.

DUMB IDEA.jpg
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

No, I meant how would having to use resources that could be used normally to upgrade units be more fun/an improvement,
      There you go, you just pointed out one beauty of not having free upgrades.
      You don't HAVE to upgrade units in the field.
      The 'improved' models aren't THAT much better than the previous one.
      Fight using the older models without the improvement.

It only becomes an issue when you are meeting units several generations advanced from your own.
      And considering how brutal fighting is, there usually aren't that many survivors from the 'ancient times'.

"...not to mention the tedium and lengthening of games especially on WW3 sized maps of slogging your units from the front lines, back for upgrades, and then back to the front."
      And that is the kicker.
      You have to make the decision whether it is better to withdraw units from fighting so that they can be improved, or keep them at the front where they can immediately affect the war.
      It is the same problem real world commanders face.
      Fight with what you have now, or wait till the new stuff arrives.

• Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

No, I meant how would having to use resources that could be used normally to upgrade units be more fun/an improvement,
      There you go, you just pointed out one beauty of not having free upgrades.You don't HAVE to upgrade units in the field.
      The 'improved' models aren't THAT much better than the previous one.
      Fight using the older models without the improvement.

It only becomes an issue when you are meeting units several generations advanced from your own.
      And considering how brutal fighting is, there usually aren't that many survivors from the 'ancient times'.

"...not to mention the tedium and lengthening of games especially on WW3 sized maps of slogging your units from the front lines, back for upgrades, and then back to the front."
      And that is the kicker.
      You have to make the decision whether it is better to withdraw units from fighting so that they can be improved, or keep them at the front where they can immediately affect the war.
      It is the same problem real world commanders face.
      Fight with what you have now, or wait till the new stuff arrives.

You are completely missing the point. The object of the game isn't to be a simulator. The object of the game is to have fun. Your proposed changes make it LESS fun, to the point of "This sucks, I'll go play something fun instead"
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Hydralysk wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

The object of the game is to have fun. Your proposed changes make it LESS fun, to the point of "This sucks, I'll go play something fun instead"
      And now you are back to responding by repeating yourself.
      People often repeat things when others don't understand.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Hydralysk wrote:

So you write.
      My experience has been that a lot more often they simply run out of rational arguments to make and fall back on repetition.
      Ah, not really, it is often used with the slow to absorb.

Hydralysk wrote:

Sorta like when the Democrats keep up the mantra "The most secure election in history."

Or better yet, "The most popular president ever."
      Hey you are preaching to the choir here, MAGA2024
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Second Cannae wrote:

If people don't know to stack their units, how do you think they'll be able to handle this?

2) My experience is that when people run out of rational things to say, they start changing the topic. You can have your own thoughts on America's political system, but keep that stuff on Twitter, not a game forum
      1. You tell me.
      The devs have a lot of intricate game mechanics that aren't explained in as detailed a manner as some players would like.
      Yet the game goes on despite losing some players who find it too complex.
      Others join the game because of that same feature.

2. My experience is that when an argument strikes too close to the truth, people protest that it is inappropriate.
      As the saying goes, "Throw a rock into a pack of hounds, and the only ones yelping are the ones hit."
      Just because you find an illustration for a point not to your liking, doesn't mean that it is not appropriate.