OK Forum seems stale and Crusty... What Are your Favorite Alternate Uses of Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OK Forum seems stale and Crusty... What Are your Favorite Alternate Uses of Units

1. Early days in games; I use ASF as poor mans SF till can get rocking. 2 or 3 actually do damage to soften up/eliminate AI or early opponents. after day 7 usually just hang on for air back up or damage mitigation to SF.

2. Similiar Corvettes early on.. poor mans "real ships" but day 4 if I have 2 - 3 vettes and you have 1 Im king of the sea. After that shore protection not important to me as dont want peps within 1000 miles. so either pair with frig stacks just for Sub detection and drop if real combat. OR place at choke points as Sonar buoys in middle of ocean. so actually 4 uses for vettes. early 1. port protect; 2. shell cities early; sub detect or sonar buoy. Not bad for a throw away unit.

3. Naval Patrol.. When have extras or needed can use as long range land "bombers" using CMs . Not efficient but have killed many strategic invaders at long distance that couldnt reach.

4. Tank Destroyers .. actually really awesome at holding cities. with 50 pct in city bonus 1 TD can hold a city with near 0 pct chance of insurgents instead of 2 - 3 inf/ngs. and near front to fight tank stacks if need be. They actually make great NGs...lol

5. Dont advise but early in career ... built mobile AAs (which useless as AA) but make decent mini tanks in a pinch (and make cool machine gun fire sounds). not much damage but eat up damage.

6. Use ASF for radar to scout for SF or bombers. better than a UAV.. wont get shot down in 1 swipe and has broader radar. I dont need to know exact composition of what attacking just where at.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 2 times, last by The Pale Rider ().

• National Guard as damage sponge, both on land as well as on sea. Especially with their "bug" (or feature) of restoring to full HP whenever they're included in an attacking army that dealt the last hit (eliminating hit) to another defending army. Early on it's cheap, portable HP restoration. Include them in a stack of moto inf for invasion and not only will they take half the damage, they'll recover the missing HP when you win.

Stack a National Guard transport ship with an early corvette and you easily outlast your standard competitive opponent with only one corvette, and guess what happen when your side win? Yup, full HP national guard again.
    • vynical wrote:

Stack a National Guard transport ship with an early corvette and you easily outlast your standard competitive opponent with only one corvette, and guess what happen when your side win? Yup, full HP national guard again.
      I have used this trick in a pinch; call it "NG stuffing" and is so non intuitive as how would troops on a ship stop it from sinking..lol. But it works as cheap way to add 12 disposable HP per unit to any ship stack. Especially if have Officer without other ships as let NGs absorb the damage instead of a valuable unit.

Plus units will heal up faster in water as get higher pct healing @ 1 HP per day out of 12 compared to 1 HP / 15.

Didnt know about the magic heal thing as try to avoid locked in ground battles unless attacked.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

vynical wrote:

I have used this trick in a pinch; call it "NG stuffing" and is so non intuitive as how would troops on a ship stop it from sinking..lol. But it works as cheap way to add 12 disposable HP per unit to any ship stack. Especially if have Officer without other ships as let NGs absorb the damage instead of a valuable unit.
      Plus units will heal up faster in water as get higher pct healing @ 1 HP per day out of 12 compared to 1 HP / 15.

Didnt know about the magic heal thing as try to avoid locked in ground battles unless attacked.
      Try including just one NG with your standard early invasion troops and you'll gain a newfound appreciation for them as a self-regenerating damage sponge. You'll see that your moto inf and recon troops have small missing HP but your NG is at full 15HP after eliminating an entrenched target on your way to conquest. Really saves some valuable time and resources early game when you try to pinch pennies to get the smallest advantage over your neighbors. They won't regenerate if they're defending, only attacking and the target has to be entrenched so normally I'll leave my invasion inf stack with one slot for NG for that sweet sweet HP regen. The magic heal also apply if your NG is in an artillery stack and successfully eliminate a troop from afar. So an artillery stack in the middle of a bot country is like a healing station for NG.

I like to imagine them as vampires or undead, filling up their HP with the enemy corpses. Or they just go full AoE and wololo'ed the enemy over to our side.

The post was edited 1 time, last by vynical ().

• As people have already said, I sometimes use TD for occupying cities and quelling uprisings. But did you know that I have been using more spec ops instead of regular infantry? I like the added attack/terrain bonuses and how these units can move without being detected (stealth). They're also great for air assaults.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • I recently used a fully upgraded UAV as a tactical bomber. I feel like I have to explain the situation because I need to convey just how crucial that action was.

I was in a fight to the death with an exceptional player, both sides doing MRLS, anti air, radar, NGs, ASF, gunships, etc. And additionally he was online 24/7. We were shooting-n-scooting, dogfighting, constantly restacking, retreating to heal, etc for almost 2 weeks in the Balkans, without either side gaining more than a few cities. Both sides were straining to gain any advantage.

As it was Apocalypse, he got cruise missiles while I researched UAVs to the max so that I could more accurately target his elusive MRLS that constantly restacked amidst the dummy radar contacts. As I did a quick flyby, I found that he had only one radar left; it was alone, although there was plenty of air cover nearby, trying to get to a hospital as it had only 2.3 hp left. As it was a suicide mission to send my precious ASF after the radar, I decided that the loss of my single UAV was worth throwing him in the dark…

By the end of that day, he conceded defeat.

I think that qualifies as an alternate use for a UAV :D
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • In Rising Tides I will use spies and or naval bombardment, air and ranged attacks in adjacent or homeland cities of an opponent to reduce morale to the point where the cities will revolt and The Chosen spawn. If my opponent does not have units nearby to deal with this mayhem, the chosen will continue to spawn and move fast, taking territory and other cities as they go.

As you can imagine the civilian casualties I cause will dampen my own morale, but if done successfully you can stop bombarding and gradually morale climbs back up.
    • At one point I was desperate in a navy battle(that I was loosing) That I started sending stealth strike fighters one at a time, because that was all I had I lost all of them, while waiting for more naval back up. I started using mrl's as naval defense(it's what saved me).
      It the times when I need to be creative that I get creative
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• MarineRaider wrote:

Ballistic missiles are normally targets at cities because of there great damage to building but firing a ballistic missile at a territory that was just conquered can work wonders especially when there is a decent stack that just took the land. Elite bombers are great for that
      I had to do that when 1 country sent 26 unit stackinto australia. takes good timing to catch them if on move (i did with bm sub and agree Elite bombers would be ideal; only started using in current game and 3 of them can launch combined 6 BMs and 9 CM; thats a lot of fire power)