How much does skill matter?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It matters quite a lot lmao
      Someone who just yeets units at the enemy and overwhelms ppl with sheer numbers will spend 90% of their time simply replacing their lost ones.
      Meanwhile, the guy with actual skill has just produced his 100th unit on day 19.

Does quantity have a quality of its own? yes
      However, at some point the quantity you need is just ridiculous.
      Frankly, the only quantity that really matters is the amount of time you can spend.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Im On Smoko wrote:

Hmm,

Well lets say 7 infantry are coming at a home city. The defender of that city sets up 7 infantry of equal rank in a defensive position inside a forest terrain in the path of the invading force.

Who will win?

Skill or spammer?
      spam kinda implies you have more than the other guy tho
      I am keeping the scenario and question simple to get the point across.

I could have said 5 defending infantry in the forest with artillery in a mountain territory within range, bla bla bla.

It is a game of numbers and also strategy. But it is not always a game of numbers just by unit count numbers alone.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Im On Smoko ().

• Teburu wrote:

It matters quite a lot lmao
      Someone who just yeets units at the enemy and overwhelms ppl with sheer numbers will spend 90% of their time simply replacing their lost ones.
      Meanwhile, the guy with actual skill has just produced his 100th unit on day 19.

Does quantity have a quality of its own? yes
      However, at some point the quantity you need is just ridiculous.
      Frankly, the only quantity that really matters is the amount of time you can spend.
      Time is the key. I think you are correct Teburu .
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • I'd argue being able to out produce your enemy by 2x or more (i.e. whatever you consider spamming) is a skill in of itself. Early game it requires a balanced approach or you'll run out of manpower, late game it requires the right choice of units to spam for any given scenario.

These are all skills, I don't think it's "more skilful" to have less more effective units, it's just a different strategy.
    • Dude you are so wrong.. you crank out inf by the dozen Il still mow them down. Same with tanks.

If you dont have huge air defense you are dead. I kill 100s of units with a dozen planes and CMs.

Most unskilled players keep throwing troops at people and see they might defeat a country but death toll like 12k v 10k so they are using u their own troops while im adding to my army. I treat units like gold and still looking for perfect game (no lost prov / no lost units) but you always make careless mistakes and end up losing a unit or 2.

But noobs cry how do I have 100+ units...well I dont smash them into a wall.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Example of bad spams:

- Beat the socks off dude who had 100 + inf / tanks; spammed like 20 UAVs; 20 attack choppers with zero air defense (no AA; no ASF) needless to say my 25 SF and 6 ASF smoked his choppers than just picked him apart without losing any troops. It amazes me that someone who sees me killing 18 countries with air power doesnt think to counter it (read CoN news people.. its free intelligence). He had air 1 in every city and thought for sure had huge ASFs; was so happy when saw 4 stacks of 5 choppers running for their lives.

Now if the fool would have built 20 ASF instead of UAVs he may have beat me or certainly would have made life harder. I can still beat ASF with my SF but takes strategy.

On paper he had the bigger force but it really wasnt a contest. He just kept saying how dont you run out of missiles. Well if I build 20 missiles x 4 warheads thats 80 warheads not my fault idiot built 20 UAVs (He had them everywhere and Frigs ate half).
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

Example of bad spams:

- Beat the socks off dude who had 100 + inf / tanks; spammed like 20 UAVs; 20 attack choppers with zero air defense (no AA; no ASF) needless to say my 25 SF and 6 ASF smoked his choppers than just picked him apart without losing any troops. It amazes me that someone who sees me killing 18 countries with air power doesnt think to counter it (read CoN news people.. its free intelligence). He had air 1 in every city and thought for sure had huge ASFs; was so happy when saw 4 stacks of 5 choppers running for their lives.

Now if the fool would have built 20 ASF instead of UAVs he may have beat me or certainly would have made life harder. I can still beat ASF with my SF but takes strategy.

On paper he had the bigger force but it really wasnt a contest. He just kept saying how dont you run out of missiles. Well if I build 20 missiles x 4 warheads thats 80 warheads not my fault idiot built 20 UAVs (He had them everywhere and Frigs ate half).
      I just had a similar deal on a Flashpoint I am soloing. Russia decides to throw all his forces at me on day 3 after I take the Georgia AI. Gets his buddies Belarus and portugal to send troops to help. I just keep mowing them down with my growing ASF/gunship forces without losing a unit, and sending out 1 lone NG to reclaim ant territory he grabs before he dies. Pretty soon, Russia is empty and being visited by more NGs
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • shrek6satan wrote:

Sometimes i think if you just spam it you'll win. Like if you throw so much stuff at the enemy he'll be done no matter how much does he know about the game
      Best Case Scenario For Skilled Player

So lets say this skilled player, being skilled has focused on Strike Fighters and land. If you spam and send your units to his land and invade 100% of the time he'll be ready with striker squadrons prepared to take you out. From there after you're assult fails his troops will land in your homeland and conquer you.

Average Case Scenario For you and Skilled Player

The skilled player focused equally on land, air and navy. His navy would likely decimate a lot of your troops if placed in strategical positions which we'll say he did as he's skilled. Any of your troops that do make it will be met with Air and land Forces. After some days of battle he'll eventually manage to kill most of your troops while you continue to be a pain in his side as you may have lone infantry taking random territory. Leaving strikers and some navy at his homeland his land and part of his navy will head to your homeland and begin attacking. Since he's skilled he'll level your cities until they have no troops in them. You'll likely send troops to your homeland to defend it. Since his navy is placed throughout your homeland's cost most of the operations to take back coastal cities from there. By the time this has happened his strikers will have finished off your troops in his homeland and will be sent to help the war effort. From there it's game over for you.

Worst Case Scenario For Skilled Player

Let's say he focused on Land and Navy (equal throughout branches). Let's say you focused on Heavy land and a bit of navy to defend your homeland. When you send your troops in most manage to get through as his navy is not as strategically placed as the skilled player hoped it would be. During this time he'd be offline and you'd be on the offensive. From there you're troops will begin to advance into enemy territory (preferably grouped in big stacks) and kill the enemy soldiers stack by stack or battalion by battalion. From there you'd begin to successfully take over his homeland cities and eventually capital. His navy wont be able to do anything but hit your homeland but by then it's too late as you got navy defending there and your troops have captured his capital. This is over the course of many days and absolutely the best case scenario for the person spamming troops.

Basically it's more likely for the Skilled Player to decimate you but there's always a chance you'll come out on top :thumbup: I'm not saying it's a likely chance but it's still there.
    • Available online time is the key.

As a skilled player with sufficient time I can analyze the route the enemie takes to pick the best defense spot that Benefits. Y tsnk destroyer/ng builup. Build a nice lvl 2 outpost and kill the spammer qhile the second half of my army visits his homeland to check if kevin is alone at home.

I really like the first 3 days. They are like chess as everyone has more or less the same amount of units. So skill and time are essentiell. After the first striker or choppers are in the game it more or less a spam again:

Who can spam damage dealer and cheap feound forces for landgrabbing fast.

I always read the news to check if someone has more ressources then me. And i try to be the top on the list. Check my stats. I am pretty sucessful with it. Not having 100 cities by day 20 is considered a lost game.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Teburu wrote:

Counterpoint: If he dies to spam he’s not a „skilled“ player.
      Its such a wonderfully arbitrary phrase tho
      I meant like he was offline for a while during the spam player invasion. It was the absolute worst case scenario for the skilled player. He was skilled but the reason that he lost was because he was offline for a while in the scenario. My mistake for not making that clear, sorry bout that
    • exactly. Thats why a
      Skilled player work a lot with radar, awac, long range. They dont patrol aircraft when offline and they hide their fleet when offline.

Only noobs park their valu3sble units in the garage at home. When you visit me..no one is at home...but they are around ready to strike.

It would be great if you could give the units some kind of intelligent commands so they react indepentend when you are offline.

For me this means no 4x speed maps...i just did a red vs blue to check this new map and blow some nukes...cause I am a old fart and I need my beauty sleep and in the morning a nurse to get me started
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kurtvonstein ().