Simulating Air vs Land AA

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thank buddy,

About entrenchment and bunkers: I've tried to set things up correctly anticipating that I'll need to incorporate the Building and Location effects (entrenchment, terrain modifiers, and bunkers) into combat results if the simulation ever becomes that sophisticated. Be pleasantly surprised if that level of sophistication ever does show up.

About subs vs planes: Thanks for the reminders. If those Air-Sub engagements don't fit into a generic "Navy" category, I'll probably split Navy category into a surface ship category and a submarine category (so far, other than leaving opportunities to include it later, I'm ignoring Navy). In fact, this exchange has pointed out to me that my three possible heights (sea level, ground, and air) need to be expanded to include a "submerged" height (aka depth).

This
      public enum Height
      {
      AllHeights,
      OnTheWater,
      OnTheGround,
      InTheAir
      }

Needs to become
      public enum Height
      {
      AllHeights,
      Underwater, // For submarines, not sunken Naval Transports ;)
      OnTheWater,
      OnTheGround,
      InTheAir
      }

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• I've been spending my free time trying to earn enough Season Points to get to keep the EAA. It's going a little slower than I expected, and my K/D has been taking a drubbing.

But, I've been feeling guilty about neglecting this project while I farm Season Points, so I did a couple of little updates.

I changed the AA stack symbol from a dot to a thick "+"

I changed the Air Base symbol from a thick "X" to a thick "=" (to represent parallel Runways).

CSim.PNG

• KFGauss wrote:

I've been spending my free time trying to earn enough Season Points to get to keep the EAA. It's going a little slower than I expected, and my K/D has been taking a drubbing.

But, I've been feeling guilty about neglecting this project while I farm Season Points, so I did a couple of little updates.

I changed the AA stack symbol from a dot to a thick "+"

I changed the Air Base symbol from a thick "X" to a thick "=" (to represent parallel Runways).

CSim.PNG
      Gauss, I must admit, mostly I find you often to be the message board equivalent of itching powder, but I am truly impressed by what you are doing here and hold it in high regard. So much so, that I have considerably raised my opinion of you (not that you give a damn) and now it seems your posts aren't quite so ... itchy. Kudos!
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Gauss, I must admit, mostly I find you often to be the message board equivalent of itching powder, but I am truly impressed by what you are doing here and hold it in high regard. So much so, that I have considerably raised my opinion of you (not that you give a damn) and now it seems your posts aren't quite so ... itchy. Kudos!
      Literal LOL :D Thanks for motivating me to try harder - With just a little more effort I'm sure I can accomplish both this sim and increased itchiness
    • Despite my firm belief that anything DoD likes must be ill-fated, tonight I updated the sim by putting a Mot_Inf on the map to give the SF something other than the SAMs to shoot at (for simulating when the SAMs protect units that are inside their AA range.

The Mot_Inf is the red square inside the AA envelope of the upper red AA unit.

I think I'm getting close to having enough software infrastructure in place to be ready to start implementing Teburu's description of how the AA should behave during various engagements, and start implementing how much damage attacking and defending units should suffer in each engagement.

CSim.PNG
    • Two mildly interesting items follow:

1) I've satisfied the Season Points requirement for the sup'ed up Strike Fighters

Once I tie up the loose ends in the two games I started, I'll be able to return to investing time in this Thread's simulator / teaching-aid project

Season1.PNG

2) I think this BG USA map might be evidence that owning cities is overrated (if you're the only player left and you need a steady flow of Insurgents to kill).

I'm going to find out if I can hit 1700 VP (to win) by only capturing the remaining non-Rogue provinces. It's going to be a close call

FYI - To reach my Season Points goal, I didn't need to start the second map - This one was sufficient.

Season2.PNG
    • playbabe wrote:

wtf happened here? we arguing so much that you wrote CoN simulator?
      Yes - Creating a way to settle the arguments is a part of why I'm doing it.

I wanted to better understand the SAMs and other AA, so I decided to try to write a "simple" simulation of how they work.

Creating it is fun, and it can be a decent teaching tool.

Also, as I add each little feature to try to create something that accurately simulates just this one little part of the game, I'm reminded how complex creating the full game's behaviors is. It keep me humble.

When I finish you should be able to set up a Plane vs AA scenario, let the simulation run, and see a list of the events that occur.