Simulating Air vs Land AA

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• kurtvonstein wrote:

. . .
      Idea for @KFGauss make it an online webserver Executavle so the code does not run on the client. This way people can test and you keep your intelelectural property...
      I've had that thought too. I could fumble through both the coding and even spinning up an AWS or other server, but ... For now, unless someone offers to collaborate by using their expertise to deal with all that mess, I'm staying with my current method.

Creating a web-based version is fun I'm saving for some other day.

PS: Any intellectual property I've created in this is trivial. I'm more worried about handling Dorado/Bytro property respectfully.
    • Doing a little experimenting over the weekend I added some marks to the line I draw between a unit and my cursor tip when I'm choosing the unit's move-to destination.

The marks are the little circles and they show you where the unit (planes) will be at each upcoming every-ten-minutes Anti-Air "ping". In the image below, I'm using the extra info to ensure my plane isn't trespassing inside the AA unit's range when the AA timer expires.

I'm adding the markers to my wish list of user-interface improvements I'll wish for but probably never see outside of my simulation.

In addition to marking where planes will be at 10-miunte intervals (tied to the game's AA heartbeat), something similar showing (hourly?) intervals along ground and naval units' paths would be handy too.

CSim.PNG
    • Better add in some interaction with stealth SF. I noticed that if stealth SF fly within sight range of AA units with Reveal stealth (SAM, Frigates), the AA bubble will pop immediately. Additionally, if the bubble pop due to other factors while the stealth SF is still within the AA bubble, they still get damaged regardless of whether the enemy have visibility on them.
    • vynical wrote:

Better add in some interaction with stealth SF. I noticed that if stealth SF fly within sight range of AA units with Reveal stealth (SAM, Frigates), the AA bubble will pop immediately. Additionally, if the bubble pop due to other factors while the stealth SF is still within the AA bubble, they still get damaged regardless of whether the enemy have visibility on them.
      OK, Thanks, and . . . Arrgh.

As you know I'm working on getting the non-Stealth basic SF vs SAM interactions done in a friendly format first.

Actual combat (altering the stacks' HP) is tee'ed up for my next change.

Stealth is on my ToDo list.

OBTW - I just added (last night) the sight range graphics you see in the image in my other post.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Doing a little experimenting over the weekend I added some marks to the line I draw between a unit and my cursor tip when I'm choosing the unit's move-to destination.

The marks are the little circles and they show you where the unit (planes) will be at each upcoming every-ten-minutes Anti-Air "ping". In the image below, I'm using the extra info to ensure my plane isn't trespassing inside the AA unit's range when the AA timer expires.

I'm adding the markers to my wish list of user-interface improvements I'll wish for but probably never see outside of my simulation.

In addition to marking where planes will be at 10-miunte intervals (tied to the game's AA heartbeat), something similar showing (hourly?) intervals along ground and naval units' paths would be handy too.

CSim.PNG

You are very close to actually sucking the fun out of CoN and doing your very own Harpoon game

Congrats

Be careful, though, your menus are awfully understandable : I suggest to obfuscate them with ambiguous icons !
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

You are very close to actually sucking the fun out of CoN and doing your very own Harpoon game

Congrats

Be careful, though, your menus are awfully understandable : I suggest to obfuscate them with ambiguous icons !
      :D

I must be doing something right if I was able to motivate @Opulon to emerge from the shadows. ;)

Without a Sauron to oppose, Aragorn wouldn't become a hero.
    • I know i know. Sadly, i don't have any authority on it. Dorado is aware of it too... But i don't know what plan they may have to fight it.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Folks,

I want to list all of the different types of combat. I'm doing this because I'm thinking that each of these types might need to be handled a little bit differently when I'm calculating combat results (maybe not, but I'll figure that out later).

Can anyone name a combat category (Attacker type vs Defender type) I've overlooked?

Do the Navy categories I listed successfully include Submarines?

GroundAaToTrespassingAir, // Trespassing Air = Flying near the AA when the 10 minute timer expires
      GroundAaToBullyingAir, // Bullying Air = Attacking a unit that belongs to the AA's owner
      NavyAaToTrespassingAir, // Trespassing Air = Flying near the Ship when the 10 minute timer expires
      NavyAaToBullyingAir, // Bullying Air = Attacking a unit that belongs to the Ship's owner
      (Does this trigger the Navy AA the way it triggers Ground AA?)
      AirDirectToGroundAa, // Also damages buildings
      AirDirectToNavyAa, // This might be a wrong category
      AirDirectToGround, // Also damages buildings
      AirDirectToNavy, //

AirDirectToBuilding, //
      AirPatrolToGroundAa, // Is this different from non-AA Ground defenders
      AirPatrolToGround, // Also damages buildings
      AirPatrolToNavyAa, // Is this different from non-AA Navy defenders?
      Are there non-AA units that Air units can attack?
      AirPatrolToNavy, //
      GroundMeleeToGround, // Also damages buildings???
      GroundArtilleryToGround, // Also damages buildings?
      GroundArtilleryToNavy, //
      NavyMeleeToNavy, //
      NavyShellingToGround, // Also damages buildings
      NavyShellingToBuilding, //
      MissileToGround, // Ground is the target, splash damage might hit Navy? or Buildings
      MissileToNavy, // Navy is the target, splash damage might hit Ground or Buildings
      MissileToBuilding // Building is the target, splash damage might hit Navy? or Buildings

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• Good luck on this amazing project! Def looking forward to see how far this goes! As this progresses i'll likely ask for a copy in the future when this is more polished but for a beta version this is def awesome and something I'll look forward to testing out sometime :thumbup:

Good luck man! Don't let the haters ruin the project for you 8)

P.S. I for one support Java as people have created amazing things with it even though at times it can be used for malware you just gotta be careful ;) Again, good luck bro :D
    • Thanks Wolf - I appreciate the encouragement.

Because I'm spending bursts of time doing this instead of continuously spending time playing I don't have access to all the in-game menus and unit info.

So, if you (or anyone else) get a few free seconds you can help out by comparing my list above to the unit types and other in-game info.

Here's the latest image. Tonight I added simple AA attacks on Air units trespassing in their Anti-Air combat radius.

The combat calculations are unsophisticated right now - No RNG, no mixed-units stacks, no damage distribution, no unit-count reductions as HP drops.

You can see the result in the Yellow text box where I'm reporting important events.

CSim.PNG

• Tonight's additions:
      • SF Stacks that reach 0 HP are removed from the sim
      • Fixed a bug. AA - to - Patrolling_Unit range calculations were using the location of the patrolling plane's circling dot instead of using the Patrol center
      • Draw a square around the "Focused" stack in addition to drawing a circle around the "Selected" stack.

• I added generic Buildings to the software (there's still many, many things to do to make them remotely complete)
      I added an Field Airbase building (top right in the image) so that planes will have someplace to return to after they fight a SAM ( or other plane) or other ground unit.

Now I need to teach the planes to depart from that Airbase when they start a mission, and to return that Airbase (and land/refuel) after they fly a mission.

CSim.PNG

• Today I added graphics for issuing direct-fire unit-vs-unit attack orders
      • Ordering Artillery's indirect-fire attacks will be done later.
      • Unit to building attacks will be done later.

In the screenshot the player controlling the simulation has
      • Clicked close enough to SF_Two to select SF_Two.
        • There is a gray circle around SF_Two.
        • SF_Two's stats are shown in the gray panel's "Selected" list.
      • Clicked the Send-To-Attack button.
      • Moved their cursor close enough to SAM_One for SAM_One to become the "Focused" unit.
        • There a square around SAM_One.
        • There is a line between SF_Two and SAM_One.
        • SAM_One's stats are shown in the gray panel's "Focused" list.
      CSim.PNG
    • KFGauss wrote:

Folks,

Can anyone name a combat category (Attacker type vs Defender type) I've overlooked?

Do the Navy categories I listed successfully include Submarines?

What about bunkers and entrenchments?

Also, no, only two air units can attack subs (and only one kind of sub can attack back). That should represent another wrinkle (prune?) in the code. Or for simplicity you can simply decree: Here there be no subs!