Simulating Air vs Land AA

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Simulating Air vs Land AA

CSim.PNG

A couple of you already know this. Lately, instead of playing CoN I've been using my free time (in bursts) to write a little simulation that focuses (initially) on planes-vs-AA interactions. See above.

I would love for few people to give the current version a test drive.

It's far from finished, but . . . if you want to try it I can walk you through installing (from a reputable source) the Java software (the Java SDK) you'll need to run what I have now, and I can send you the simulation program (a Java JAR) I wrote. And, in case you're wondering, uninstalling that software later is easy.

What I have so far is mostly the basic framework that is ready to have features added to it one-at-a-time. Some features have been added so far.
      • There are two SF stacks (the cyan dots) that you can select and send to destinations. When one gets to its destination, it starts patrolling.
      • There is one AA illustration that is only graphics (not a selectable stack) (the red dot inside the dim circle that flashes periodically)
      • There is one ground unit (the other red dot) that you can select and send to a destination (when it gets to its destination, nothing happens).
      • There is a green square (another graphics-only item, not a stack) moving around following a square path.
      • You select a stack by clicking in the graphics panel. The stack closest to your click gets selected.
        • To set the destination for a selected stack, click the move button and then click on the destination
        • The graphics-only red dot, and the graphics-only green square aren't selectable.
      Eventually, the SF stacks and AA stacks will fight, and as they do (to educate noobs like me) the simulation will pause at each interaction to tell you what's happening.

After that, we'll see what feature(s) gets added next.

I've inserted a still image. The real thing is animated and (right now) runs at 60X speed (for all you folks who say 4X isn't fast enough).

Who wants to try running it?

KFG

CSim.PNG

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• any software can contain maliciuos Code. I can send you an excel sheet that crashes your computer...

So its not a JAVA problem.

Question is: do you trust the source of the software? This is what every user no matter if child or housewife in the forum and the internet as such needs to understand.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Hydra - I'm guessing that you might be making some incorrect assumptions about what I've written; in part because defense contractors write, and deploy into various contexts, mountains of Java code daily.

Regardless, if you are worried that spending a few minutes running a random Java JAR file in your computer will cause lurking hackers to pounce on it, then by all means don't ask for a copy (or perhaps only run the tool in a less-susceptible Linux box and/or a walled off VM).

I on the other hand tend to come down on the @kurtvonstein side of the topic.

Thank you for your advice.
    • Ok - Time to get serious.

[Roll_Eyes]Lordy Me! A web search! Goodness gracious what reply can I write in the face of such overwhelming evidence in the hands of a web-search-educated cyber-security expert?[/Roll_Eyes]

Instead of spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt), how about instead noticing that those warnings mention a couple of crucial things, and then realizing neither applies here.

1) One reason Java code interacts with hacker malware often is because Java is popular. Popularity isn't the same as increased vulnerability.

If I decide to shoot a bullet into a plant in a forest, and choose to shoot a tree, I probably take that decision because the forest is full of big trees, not because trees are more vulnerable to bullets than other plants.

2) (This is especially important) Those web articles you're hanging your hat on describe hackers interacting with applications and applets through interfaces exposed to the web or some other channel where the hacker can hide their tools. Those hacker tools then use those interfaces to feed the hacking target something the target's designers didn't anticipate.

The program I have written doesn't interact with ANYTHING outside your computer other than your hand (mouse/touchpad) and your eyes (screen pixels). If you're worried that your hands or eyes have been infected with malware, I suupose it's time for you to curl up into ball.

So, to sum up, if you have any specific concerns that are based on more than misapplying web search results to a piece of software you about which you know essentially nothing, please definitely send them to me.

Otherwise, please shift anything more you write here to more useful topics.

Thank you.
    • KFGauss wrote:

OK - So you don't want a copy.

Hydralysk wrote:

Your words would have a lot more credibility if you have your code verified by an outside source before foisting it off on the public.Or you could simply post your code to a public forum for review and comment.
      Nothing has been or will be "foisted". Some people might choose to get a copy.

I think we've travelled full circle and pretty much exhausted your contribution in this vein.

There are plenty of other people and topics in the CoN forum - Maybe pester someone in one of those others for a while?

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• vynical wrote:

I'm interested, please send me one. Unlike Hydralysk, I don't have the same level of paranoia akin to that of an Antivaxxer with Java.

The only concern is whether it accurately represent in-game mechanic, but I'll check it out the answer for myself.
      I'm concerned about the game mechanics too - There are a zillion nuances and I'm sure I'll either overlook, be ignorant of or simply not have time to encode them all; but I should have time to get close enough to matching the game's main behavior(s) and I should be able to keep and share a list of the differences.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Nothing has been or will be "foisted". Some people might choose to get a copy.
      The fact that you want others to download an unverified 'application' speaks volumes about both your offer and the audience you are pitching to.
      Neither of which inspire confidence in you or your 'product'.

Tell you what.

Get your program released on Steam as an 'early access test alpha product', and THAT will at least give some credence to your claims.
    • KFGauss wrote:

I don't exist in order to make you happy or to ask, "How high?", when you say, "Jump".
      Of course you don't.
      If you want players to download an unknown application onto their own machine though, you might want to offer some certifications that what they get ain't something they will regret.
      Or you could continue to rely on the P.T. Barnum effect when selecting your test audience.

• Shoo.

Peddle your entitled, liberal, anti-free enterprise, anti-small business, maximal-regulation, I need the nanny-state to protect me, attitude elsewhere please. LOL.

No one is asking you or anyone else to do a single thing other than walk away.

Bye.

Don't let the door hit you in your backside on the way out.

Go find some other cause/crusade. Maybe one that involves someone who actually asks for your help?

Smell you later.

[Sound of Music] So long, farewell, we bid you all adieu. [/Sound of Music]

Buh bye.

Peace out.

So long. Thanks for playing. We have some lovely parting gifts for you backstage.

‐---------------------------

Am I being too subtle?
    • i love it. Its the yame Argument why there are more virus for windows then for linux or apple: because it pays off...not because the software is better.
      In fact windiws is like a high security buildung ind the middle of a high populated area and apple is line a unprotected farm with an open door in the misdle of nowhere. Make a guess where the robbers strike first.

90% of applicarions are written in java. Easy to make a virus as the jdk runs on so many devises.

If you want get the code. Decompile it - easy thing on java- and check it for dangerous code snippets.

Idea for @KFGauss make it an online webserver Executavle so the code does not run on the client. This way people can test and you keep your intelelectural property...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.