UAV's mechanics change

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• UAV's mechanics change

Good day everyone

Today's suggestion will be about UAVs and how to make them more relevant and worth researching at the higher levels.
      From my personal understanding, a lot of casual players don't really bother researching UAVs all that often for the following reasons :

1°) Gets shot down easely by everything due to poor / almost non existent HP pool.
      2°) Gets the neighbour's attention.
      3°) isn't stealthy until the higher levels and even then it is negated by the fact that it would automatically engage any enemy that comes in range (if you are above enemy territory or the UAV spotted a target that comes from a nation you're at war with).
      4°) is too slow compared to other air units.

Possible Solutions :

1°) Repace the "patrol" command by two distinct ones called "Seek and Destroy" and "Loiter", where "S&D" would have the exact same function as the current "Patrol" command, as for the "Loiter" command it will basically be like "Patrol" minus the engagment of hostile units ((could also be added to other air units such as the stealth ASF and Stealth Strike Fighter)).

2°) Make the early level UAVs have the stealth capability but harder to research as a way to balance them.

3°) increasing the speed of all UAVs from tier 1 to 3 as well as increasing the lethality of the tier 2 and 3 UAVs.

Of course everything i siad thus far is only what i think of the matter, so i'd love to read from you guys what are your thoughts and suggestions on the topic.
    • I like your idea, but something else may solve these problems, creating two types of UAV's first type is like the one already in the game minus the damage it can do in tiers 2-3. Because of taking away this attacking capability we can make the UAV supper cheap to research and mobilize. Along with making it cheaper than it already is, also give it more radar range, not attack but defense against air units, and more hp this should balance the fact that we took away its attacking abilities. The second type of drone will be an attack drone. A drone you can mobilize quickly in times of need for a quick defense. Kind of like a NG this UAV can move faster and deal damage to hard and soft targets from tier 1. However to balance out its wicked potential, make it a little more expensive, and decreased it's radar range. Otherwise it stays the same. What do you think?
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

The post was edited 1 time, last by TheShinwacker ().

• the aircraft branch is already pretty saturated with aircrafts so using your idea it would be nice to make a new tab for UAVs both ground and air ones, tho since this thread is about air UAVs we'll stick to that for now

Recon UAVs :
      ----------------
      Eastern Doctrine :
      Tier 1 )) Orlan-10
      Tier 2 )) ZAO ENIX Eleron-3
      Tier 3 )) ZALA KYB-UAV

Western Doctrine :
      Tier 1 )) MQ-1 Predator
      Tier 2 )) Grumman RQ-180
      Tier 3 )) Lockheed TR-X

European Doctrine
      Tier 1 )) EADS Harfang
      Tier 2 )) EADS Barracuda
      Tier 3 )) EADS Talarion

Stats :
      --------
      Tier 1 )) Speed : 8 | Range : 650 | view range : 50 | perks : reveal stealth, recon
      Tier 2 )) Speed : 10 | Range : 900 | view range : 50 | perks : reveal stealth, recon | has radar [[range :50, detects signatures of : Ground - HIGH, AIR - HIGH, Naval - HIGH]]
      Tier 3 )) Speed : 10 | Range : 900 | view range : 50 | perks : reveal stealth, recon | has radar [[range :75, detects signatures of : Ground - LOW, AIR - HIGH, Naval - HIGH]]

Strike UAVs :
      ----------------
      Eastern Doctrine :
      Tier 1 )) Sokol Altius-M
      Tier 2 )) MiG Skat
      Tier 3 )) S-70 Okhotnik-B

Western Doctrine :
      Tier 1 )) RQ-9 Global Hawk
      Tier 2 )) X-47A
      Tier 3 )) X-47B

European Doctrine
      Tier 1 )) Elbit Hermes 900
      Tier 2 )) Bayraktar TB2
      Tier 3 )) nEUROn

Stats :
      --------
      Tier 1 )) Speed : 10 | Range : 650 | view range : 25 | perks : reveal stealth, recon | Damage : 3 to soft, 3 to armor, 3 to planes, 4 to helis, 2 to ships

Tier 2 )) Speed : 12 | Range : 900 | view range : 25 | perks : reveal stealth, recon | has radar [[range :50, detects signatures of : Ground - HIGH, AIR - HIGH, Naval - HIGH]] | Damage : 5 to soft, 4.5 to armor, 3.5 to planes, 5 to helis, 2.5 to ships | can carry cruise missile x1

Tier 3 )) Speed : 12 | Range : 900 | view range : 25 | perks : reveal stealth, recon | has radar [[range :75, detects signatures of : Ground - LOW, AIR - HIGH, Naval - HIGH]] | Damage : 6 to soft, 5.5 to armor, 5 to planes, 6 to helis, 3.5 to ships | can carry cruise missile x1

The post was edited 2 times, last by Silent Threat ().

• I have given them a go and thought they were extremely handy and leveling them up to drop missiles was fun.
      I really thought the drones needed to be a Bit cheaper as they just get knocked so easily.
      Basicly low HP is why I don’t use them much any more. And I like them over AWACS.

I like the idea of two branches as well, but instead of having the 2 separate drones too research to start them off maybe the strike/lethal should be a branch off the recon in between first and second tier?

But originally, I thought making there research cheaper would get more in the field.

But I believe doing that to all support research would give players better survivability, but that’s another suggestion, probably to do with balancing.
    • DodiMiki wrote:

Good day everyone

Today's suggestion will be about UAVs and how to make them more relevant and worth researching at the higher levels.
      From my personal understanding, a lot of casual players don't really bother researching UAVs all that often for the following reasons :

1°) Gets shot down easely by everything due to poor / almost non existent HP pool.
      3°) isn't stealthy until the higher levels and even then it is negated by the fact that it would automatically engage any enemy that comes in range (if you are above enemy territory or the UAV spotted a target that comes from a nation you're at war with).

Possible Solutions :

1°) Repace the "patrol" command by two distinct ones called "Seek and Destroy" and "Loiter", where "S&D" would have the exact same function as the current "Patrol" command, as for the "Loiter" command it will basically be like "Patrol" minus the engagment of hostile units ((could also be added to other air units such as the stealth ASF and Stealth Strike Fighter)).

2°) Make the early level UAVs have the stealth capability but harder to research as a way to balance them.

3°) increasing the speed of all UAVs from tier 1 to 3 as well as increasing the lethality of the tier 2 and 3 UAVs.

Of course everything i siad thus far is only what i think of the matter, so i'd love to read from you guys what are your thoughts and suggestions on the topic.
      agreed
      "Success is not final, Failure is NOT fatal. I DON'T CARE if your sick, I DON'T CARE what your going through, if you're not dead, he ain't through you yet. As long as you're alive you CAN STILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. As long as there's breath in your nostrils, boo, you're still in the game, you still can win."
    • DodiMiki wrote:

Good day everyone

Possible Solutions :

This is generally pretty bad. I mean it sounds nice but still bad. Remember how Ukraine’s drones do get shot up right left center down? I mean sure some do survive to hit their targets and scout for artillery but giving them stealth is basically making them the next Elite attack aircraft. They are basically impossible to detect unless you have max lvl Sams or Stealth ASF or TDS lvl 5 I think. Even MAAs are useless against them. I mean sure they shouldn’t be able to be detected so easily but that means that anti air needs to get boosted, which would basically be bad news for Stealth SF and ASF.
      The only thing I hope that fix about UAVs is how tier 2s UAVs don’t cause you anymore casualty. It’s really annoying to see how losing 3 UAVs can basically cost you 1k dead people. They should be used as Expendables and not lower your KDR.
      On top of that, their Low HP means that any damage you take in the air will take days to repair (pretty stupid to me) considering how it’s just small and should take less time than SF or ASF to become full health again.
    • DodiMiki wrote:

Recon UAVs :

Western Doctrine :
      Tier 1 )) MQ-1 Predator
      Tier 2 )) Grumman RQ-180
      Tier 3 )) Lockheed TR-X

Strike UAVs :

----------------

Western Doctrine :
      Tier 1 )) RQ-9 Global Hawk
      Tier 2 )) X-47A
      Tier 3 )) X-47B
      Should be more like this I think

Recon West:
      1. MQ-1
      2. RQ-4
      3. RQ-180

Strike West:
      1. RQ-1
      2. RQ-9
      3. X-47B

Anyway interesting idea of separating the attack/station options, I like that. When it comes to speed, I already suggested quite a while ago a hypersonic UAV as an elite unit.
      Link - NEW SEASONAL UNIT SUGGESTION
    • DodiMiki wrote:

But... they already don't engage hostile units during patrol; unless you insist on turning them into a knockoff strike fighter, then there is really not much of a point in such a command, especially for UAVs

DodiMiki wrote:

Not really a fan of handing out invisibility like that, keep in mind that with the current stealth mechanics detecting a stealth aircraft might as well be impossible. I think a better idea would be instead to give it the invisibility that comes with stealth but give it a high radar signature, the signature can decrease with higher levels.
      Tho I would argue that stealth is already way too much for it. You have to keep in mind that the UAV is fairly cheap aircraft, so making it overly hard to detect and counter would be an easy way to make it way too strong. Keep in mind that it is not the only unit with the task to gather intelligence on enemy forces and shouldn't be used completely on its own,

DodiMiki wrote:

The speed isnt actually that big of a deal, outside of an incredibly dramatic increase, increasing it wouldn't really change that much
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Tho I would argue that stealth is already way too much for it. You have to keep in mind that the UAV is fairly cheap aircraft, so making it overly hard to detect and counter would be an easy way to make it way too strong. Keep in mind that it is not the only unit with the task to gather intelligence on enemy forces and shouldn't be used completely on its own,
      Cheaper (max uav 18% cheapier than max awacs) if you compare to other air radar (awacs). It got stealth, but got a lot of disadvantages and that's why it's cheaper. It's not attack unit, counter is not necessary