Massive stacks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Massive stacks

I am currently playing a flashpoint game as USA, going for a solo win. My primary competition is the coalition of Hungary and Finland(Ukraine is the only other active player). I have just sent a massive stack(18 units) for his capital and all the rest of his homeland cities. So this is what I want to know : is overstacking like this ultimately beneficial? BTW, it is composed of SAM's, MRL's, AFV's, a tank officer, an infantry officer, a radar, and a single unit of infantry to conquer. So tell me: is there a better strategy to use?
      Overkill is an Awesome Map! :D
    • Bigtallnerd419 wrote:

I am currently playing a flashpoint game as USA, going for a solo win. My primary competition is the coalition of Hungary and Finland(Ukraine is the only other active player). I have just sent a massive stack(18 units) for his capital and all the rest of his homeland cities. So this is what I want to know : is overstacking like this ultimately beneficial? BTW, it is composed of SAM's, MRL's, AFV's, a tank officer, an infantry officer, a radar, and a single unit of infantry to conquer. So tell me: is there a better strategy to use?
      You have to tell us what you want the overstacked stack to do before we can tell you whether we think overstacking will typically help you do that thing.

PS: I"m assuming that you know enough that you don't want us to explain overstacking's effects. You aren't that lazy are you? You already know how it has affected your offense, defense and movement. Correct?
    • KFGauss wrote:

Bigtallnerd419 wrote:

You have to tell us what you want the overstacked stack to do before we can tell you whether we think overstacking will typically help you do that thing.
      PS: I"m assuming that you know enough that you don't want us to explain overstacking's effects. You aren't that lazy are you? You already know how it has affected your offense, defense and movement. Correct?

Yes, I do know what overstacking does. I want to create an unstoppable force that will destroy my enemies homeland. It is not vulnerable to literally anything.
      Overkill is an Awesome Map! :D
    • There are lots of different stacks to use that would seem unstoppable, it is a matter of preference, what units your enemy has, what terrain you are traveling in, what level your units are at, efficiency, strengths, weaknesses, there is an endless possibility to the best stack. I think that a bunch of smaller stacks are more effective and can cause more damage than one big stack can. The enemy has a hard time focusing on and destroying multiple stacks of asf's, mbt's, td's, sf's, ect. than one big stack of every thing combined. they can focus the main bulk of their strength on this "unstoppable stack" and eventually wear it down. -I hope this helps for future strategies.

I have my own question about stacks. I noticed either a bug or something that doesn't make sense. It has to do with attack subs. I have a full stack(5) of fully upgraded attack subs. I noticed that their hp was at 200. this looked odd as I thought subs had low hp. I then looked at a stack of 4 subs I had somewhere else. this stack had 80hp. Both stacks were at full capacity of health yet it all doesn't add up. Does it have to do with whether it is in shallow or deep waters? Or is it a bug.

If it is a bug then... it is quite a nice bug as my subs can now deal out damage equal to cruisers:)
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• Bigtallnerd419 wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

You have to tell us what you want the overstacked stack to do before we can tell you whether we think overstacking will typically help you do that thing.PS: I"m assuming that you know enough that you don't want us to explain overstacking's effects. You aren't that lazy are you? You already know how it has affected your offense, defense and movement. Correct?
      Yes, I do know what overstacking does. I want to create an unstoppable force that will destroy my enemies homeland. It is not vulnerable to literally anything.
      On the contrary, those units just as vulnerable to everything as they would be if they were split into two groups, and instead of being two strong stacks, they are now one slow, stack that's about as strong (offense & defense) as one 10-stack.

It does have lots of HP. However instead having to fight you twice to damage each of your units once, they can now fight you twice to damage each of your units twice.

I'm not sure your hopes are going to be realized.

PS: What units your enemy uses, not how many of yours you can lump together, determines what you should attack and defend with. Know what I mean? Maybe all you need are planes and one Nat Guard.

The post was edited 2 times, last by KFGauss ().

• NEVER OVERSTACK AN ARMY!!!! You lose speed and effectiveness. Combine certain groups and cover the army doing the fighting. So, put SAMS and Radar together and have them follow your army for air cover. Keep MRLS as another group to hit targets identified by radar. You don't want Arty, (SAMS, RADAR, MRLS) getting involved in direct battle. I'm pretty good at this game and the only ground forces I use are National Guard. I win using Air, Navy and Arty. Tanks are the most worthless thing on a battlefield. I've never lose against tanks.
    • TheShinwacker wrote:

I have my own question about stacks. I noticed either a bug or something that doesn't make sense. It has to do with attack subs. I have a full stack(5) of fully upgraded attack subs. I noticed that their hp was at 200. this looked odd as I thought subs had low hp. I then looked at a stack of 4 subs I had somewhere else. this stack had 80hp. Both stacks were at full capacity of health yet it all doesn't add up. Does it have to do with whether it is in shallow or deep waters? Or is it a bug.

If it is a bug then... it is quite a nice bug as my subs can now deal out damage equal to cruisers:)
      Attack Submarines get twice as much HP in deep waters compared to shallow waters. Additionally, they get +25% attack modifier in deep waters but receive a -25% attack modifier in shallow waters.

The lesson? Keep your submarines in deep waters! :D
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Bigtallnerd419 wrote:

My best advice that I believe everyone will agree on is to never stack Ground troops past 10! Otherwise you lose both combat effectiveness and speed meaning less attack power and it takes longer to get to your destination which gives the enemy more time to prepare!

Ground | Max Stack = 10

Air | Max Stack = 5

Navy | Max Stack = 5

Above I stated the max amount of units you cant put in a stack for a certain unit. Hope this helped :D
    • Against inexperienced players, sure… but then again doesn’t really matter what you do. In alliance games or where you have stiffer opposition, overweight stacks are extremely vulnerable. If they have only one or two SAMs or AA guns, then they’re vulnerable to air. Otherwise they might be fine. But in all cases they are susceptible to artillery. Even if the stack has five mobarts or MLRS, it will get wrecked by enemy artillery very very quickly. Hit and run attacks will destroy it and due to slow movement it will not be able to catch up; if it fires back it will be a much weaker hit.

Of course, at that point you could split it up. But if you split it up, what was the point of doing it in the first place?

Blade