Coalitions reduce competition?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Coalitions reduce competition?

Hi there,
      I'm on game 37 and really enjoy the game, especially the social and cooperative aspect of coalitions.

i see coalitions form early, break apart as players get crushed or turn inactive, and so on. Such is life, obviously.

The one thing that really turns me off a game however, is the creation - usually mid-game or sometimes later, of "super-coalitions". In public games, it seems there are maybe 10-15 players who continue to play, with maybe 4-5 who really know what they are doing. Sure enough, the 4-5 join up and at that point are pretty much unbeatable. If you're not part of that coalition, you can fight the good fight and try to stay interested until the legend of doom shows up at your door. If you're part of the coalition, the battle chat seems to go quiet as the five mostly go through the motions, invading inactive countries.....what a bore. Imagine a card game where the other three at the table are allowed to work together to beat you. I would say see 'ya after one round.

I wondered if anyone thought it a good idea to discourage mid to late game super-coalitions, in order to keep the gameplay fresh. Maybe making it inexpensive or free to join a coalition early in the game, but have it grow increasingly expensive to join as the days go by. For example, make it more expensive not only by number of game days, but also by size of the coalition you are joining. Make it a cost huge cash or combination cash/supplies/components "tribute" to join another coalition. That might keep the behemoths apart, unless they see it worthwhile to invest in a coalition. Experienced players could still team up early, of course.

Your thoughts?
    • Orca327 wrote:

Hi there,
      I'm on game 37 and really enjoy the game, especially the social and cooperative aspect of coalitions.

i see coalitions form early, break apart as players get crushed or turn inactive, and so on. Such is life, obviously.

The one thing that really turns me off a game however, is the creation - usually mid-game or sometimes later, of "super-coalitions". In public games, it seems there are maybe 10-15 players who continue to play, with maybe 4-5 who really know what they are doing. Sure enough, the 4-5 join up and at that point are pretty much unbeatable. If you're not part of that coalition, you can fight the good fight and try to stay interested until the legend of doom shows up at your door. If you're part of the coalition, the battle chat seems to go quiet as the five mostly go through the motions, invading inactive countries.....what a bore. Imagine a card game where the other three at the table are allowed to work together to beat you. I would say see 'ya after one round.

I wondered if anyone thought it a good idea to discourage mid to late game super-coalitions, in order to keep the gameplay fresh. Maybe making it inexpensive or free to join a coalition early in the game, but have it grow increasingly expensive to join as the days go by. For example, make it more expensive not only by number of game days, but also by size of the coalition you are joining. Make it a cost huge cash or combination cash/supplies/components "tribute" to join another coalition. That might keep the behemoths apart, unless they see it worthwhile to invest in a coalition. Experienced players could still team up early, of course.

Your thoughts?
      Best to move along to another game....there will be NO changes like this coming. Been here several years and it is the same old, same old. I think a limit of 2-3 in a coalition would spur this along and make choosing partners a wiser decision. Also, I don't like the pay aspect of the game. I would rather pay per board and make everything truly equal on the board, versus the pay inside the board. Anywhoo...DGs does not listen and and bans people even mentioning such things....so we'll see if any changes are ever made to make this a true strategy game or is it just a business....
    • Orca327 wrote:

Hi there,

Your thoughts?
      Be one of the top 5 players ;) And if you havnt formed / joined a winning coalition by day 37 thats on you.

Countries change / form alliances in wars. Was it unfair that USA joined Allies in mid WW2 or should they have been forced to just fight solo? Or Italy changing sides from Axis to Allies; which was lame but all fair in love and war?

If there are 15 active players and you say the super coalition is unstoppable? How about you rally the other 10 to form two coalitions and 2 v 1 the super coalition. But easier to say I cant figure out to win; so its not fair.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • MidasMulligan wrote:

. . . a true strategy game or . . . a business....
      This sounds like it came from someone who doesn't have to pay any bills. Please tell me you aren't so naive that you think the real people with real lives at Dorado run CoN in their spare time as a hobby.

OBTW - Who put you in charge of defining what a "true" strategy game is?

Word to the wise - You'll be more persuasive if your arguments are less about info-bubble slogans and are instead more grounded in reality.
    • KFGauss wrote:

MidasMulligan wrote:

This sounds like it came from someone who doesn't have to pay any bills. Please tell me you aren't so naive that you think the real people with real lives at Dorado run CoN in their spare time as a hobby.
      OBTW - Who put you in charge of defining what a "true" strategy game is?

Word to the wise - You'll be more persuasive if your arguments are less about info-bubble slogans and are instead more grounded in reality.
      Wdym? I thought they get paid in „exposure“ and similar currencies? Are you really telling me they get paid actual money? Thats soooo retro
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

MidasMulligan wrote:

This sounds like it came from someone who doesn't have to pay any bills. Please tell me you aren't so naive that you think the real people with real lives at Dorado run CoN in their spare time as a hobby.OBTW - Who put you in charge of defining what a "true" strategy game is?

Wdym? I thought they get paid in „exposure“ and similar currencies? Are you really telling me they get paid actual money? Thats soooo retro
      I sent them 500 "attaboys" just last week.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Teburu wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

MidasMulligan wrote:

This sounds like it came from someone who doesn't have to pay any bills. Please tell me you aren't so naive that you think the real people with real lives at Dorado run CoN in their spare time as a hobby.OBTW - Who put you in charge of defining what a "true" strategy game is?
      I think I can make a case for you to change your username name to “Dealer of Attaboys”.

Talk about an upgrade/update!
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Teburu wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

MidasMulligan wrote:

This sounds like it came from someone who doesn't have to pay any bills. Please tell me you aren't so naive that you think the real people with real lives at Dorado run CoN in their spare time as a hobby.OBTW - Who put you in charge of defining what a "true" strategy game is?Word to the wise - You'll be more persuasive if your arguments are less about info-bubble slogans and are instead more grounded in reality.
      I think I can make a case for you to change your username name to “Dealer of Attaboys”.
      Talk about an upgrade/update
      uhmm-not-really-derrick-boner.gif
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Throwing the ludicrous statements away, You did well by yourselves about that, there is some merit about talking of coalitions, their general balance, and such.

I wouldn't see as far fetch some experiment for "3 player max" coalitions in the bigger maps.

Not as a replacement (alliances need to train), but just... "to see how it may change the map dynamic... with more legitimate coalition diplomacy)
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Throwing the ludicrous statements away, You did well by yourselves about that, there is some merit about talking of coalitions, their general balance, and such.

I wouldn't see as far fetch some experiment for "3 player max" coalitions in the bigger maps.

Not as a replacement (alliances need to train), but just... "to see how it may change the map dynamic... with more legitimate coalition diplomacy)
      Rising Tides and Overkill already employ the “3 player coalitions”. I’m my opinion, this does lessen the juggernaut effect of 5 players and certainly can make things more interesting, especially endgame.

Of course, the talented soloist can more easily pick them apart… :D
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Throwing the ludicrous statements away, You did well by yourselves about that, there is some merit about talking of coalitions, their general balance, and such.

Rising Tides and Overkill already employ the “3 player coalitions”. I’m my opinion, this does lessen the juggernaut effect of 5 players and certainly can make things more interesting, especially endgame.
      Of course, the talented soloist can more easily pick them apart… :D
      Last two Rising Tides games Ive ended up with solo wins. Getting to point coalitions more baggage than worth dragging them to win; found can win faster solo.

But agree a 3 v 1 gives them a fighting chance. but as you said not that hard to pick apart.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp