Are cities too important?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are cities too important?

I was thinking about this and for me at least i think provinces should have more importance. They basically produce two things: money and mannpower. While these two things are very important, lets face it cities are what decides wheter you stay or quit the game. Most strategy is about conquering the homeland cities as fast as possible holding them and them wiping out the enemie's amred forces. So my suggestion is to spread resorces out: instead one or two provinces producing one resource let many of them produce. One here produces supplies the one over there produces components etc. And by countering that cities could produce less resources. I can already think of many strategies with this: for example israel could save some rare materials building only local industries on it's provinces with exception of it's capital for strike fighters. Of course the devs would have to counterbalance this so bigger countries don't have the advantage: maybe they have more provinces but each one produces less. That sort of thing. What do you think?
    • Israel bearely have any provinces soooo... they screwed.

Not a bad idea.

WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS MORE CITIES AND MORE RESOURCES!
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • shrek6satan wrote:

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

Israel bearely have any provinces soooo... they screwed.

Not a bad idea.

WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS MORE CITIES AND MORE RESOURCES!
      maybe with israel you could have more production with each province?
      That's also not fair. So your idea is a little flawed, between fair and not fair.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • Shooting from the hip . . .

For altering/introducing game play - Giving provinces a greater importance (shifting some existing resource production from cities to provinces is what I'm thinking) is worth considering; but I'm not at all convinced it would either cause battles to ebb and flow across broad fronts, or would cause players to defend their borders any more than they already do. If the goal isn't one of those, I'm not sure what it would be.

In my limited experience, land battles occur in a few hours generally, while producing and using resources occurs over much longer scales. That largely decouples those two activities.

Other folks, especially those who let their games go on for a long time, probably have had different experiences.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Shooting from the hip . . .

For altering/introducing game play - Giving provinces a greater importance (shifting some existing resource production from cities to provinces is what I'm thinking) is worth considering; but I'm not at all convinced it would either cause battles to ebb and flow across broad fronts, or would cause players to defend their borders any more than they already do. If the goal isn't one of those, I'm not sure what it would be.

In my limited experience, land battles occur in a few hours generally, while producing and using resources occurs over much longer scales. That largely decouples those two activities.

Other folks, especially those who let their games go on for a long time, probably have had different experiences.
      It would imo accomplish little, because a) ultimately units matter more than any city and province and b) cities don’t matter more because of the resources, while that’s certainly a factor, the big thing why going for the enemy homeland cities is such good move is mobilization.
      Play a country like Israel and you’ll realize that hey, provinces actually kinda matter.
      I am The Baseline for opinions