Everyone says Heavy Bombers are mid but you're forgetting one crucial detail that might change your mind

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Everyone says Heavy Bombers are mid but you're forgetting one crucial detail that might change your mind

at lv 5 upgrade, it levels up your missile capacity from 2 to 3. That means with just 2 HB you carry more missiles than 5 SF/5 ASF/5 NPA at the same level and at lesser cost. Lets the compare the cheapest unit: the NPA. It can carry only 1 missile so for a stack it costs 5000 components and 4500 elecs. 2 HB cost 3000 components and 2200 elecs (eletronics is really a game changer, it's more than half). And this is for the NPA! Imagine with the other ones that are even more expensive. So to recap: it's less cost 2 of them can carry 2 missiles and can reach everwhere in the world. For these I think it's an underrated unit.
    • I don't even think you really need missiles if you've got a good HB fleet.

I mean, cruise missiles are nice to have but aside from using them to trip the AA timer (which I'm very inexpert at anyway) I rarely find that I need them to actually kill stuff. They just speed things up a bit in that regard.

If I want to kill ground units I'll use airpower and Support. If I want to kill ships, I'll use ships (quite like ASW helis as well). If I want to provide a strategic threat to cities, I think HBs are better value than long and medium range missiles. Plus, if a missile gets shot down by point defence, it is ineffective; if a HB stack gets shot down by point defence, it still delivers its damage payload to the city infrastructure - which is what you're ultimately trying to do with them.
    • WalterChang wrote:

I don't even think you really need missiles if you've got a good HB fleet.

I mean, cruise missiles are nice to have but aside from using them to trip the AA timer (which I'm very inexpert at anyway) I rarely find that I need them to actually kill stuff. They just speed things up a bit in that regard.

If I want to kill ground units I'll use airpower and Support. If I want to kill ships, I'll use ships (quite like ASW helis as well). If I want to provide a strategic threat to cities, I think HBs are better value than long and medium range missiles. Plus, if a missile gets shot down by point defence, it is ineffective; if a HB stack gets shot down by point defence, it still delivers its damage payload to the city infrastructure - which is what you're ultimately trying to do with them.
      I think you are undervaluaing the cruise missiles. They can be extremely effective when dealing with large stacks like for example tanks and infantry. A normal strike with planes loses them some hp since infantry and some armored units have defense points against planes.That basically becomes a war of attrition since armored units have lots of hp. But against missiles, if they don't have theater defense systems they have nothing to protect... to me, it's a game changer
    • Yes and No.

Heavy bomber is already known as very good CM platfrom, and flying missile sub for Elite bomber.
      Tho you need to remember that if enemy have AA to counter your BB... they already have counter to your CM.

But indeed CM still is a good power up (but expensive) of Bomber. it can help to boost damage due to lacking of armor damage of BB
      and also more damage per bombing run.
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • shrek6satan wrote:

I think you are undervaluaing the cruise missiles. They can be extremely effective when dealing with large stacks like for example tanks and infantry. A normal strike with planes loses them some hp since infantry and some armored units have defense points against planes.That basically becomes a war of attrition since armored units have lots of hp. But against missiles, if they don't have theater defense systems they have nothing to protect... to me, it's a game changer
      I know what you mean. But to me they're still more of a bonus, a bit of a luxury, than a game changer. I would normally prefer to use artillery to kill that sort of stack, having fixed them in place with some defensive ground units of my own. I wouldn't be able to use a CM in that situation, because the splash damage would kill my own units as well.

playbabe wrote:

But indeed CM still is a good power up (but expensive) of Bomber. it can help to boost damage due to lacking of armor damage of BB

Yeah, this a good way of looking at it. The missiles enable you to, say, hit several different targets in the same bombing run. Gives you a few more options.
    • shrek6satan wrote:

at lv 5 upgrade, it levels up your missile capacity from 2 to 3. That means with just 2 HB you carry more missiles than 5 SF/5 ASF/5 NPA at the same level and at lesser cost. Lets the compare the cheapest unit: the NPA. It can carry only 1 missile so for a stack it costs 5000 components and 4500 elecs. 2 HB cost 3000 components and 2200 elecs (eletronics is really a game changer, it's more than half). And this is for the NPA! Imagine with the other ones that are even more expensive. So to recap: it's less cost 2 of them can carry 2 missiles and can reach everwhere in the world. For these I think it's an underrated unit.
      For me, my ASF alone (which I always have) can generally carry sufficient cruise missiles for my needs…
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • WalterChang wrote:

shrek6satan wrote:

I know what you mean. But to me they're still more of a bonus, a bit of a luxury, than a game changer. I would normally prefer to use artillery to kill that sort of stack, having fixed them in place with some defensive ground units of my own. I wouldn't be able to use a CM in that situation, because the splash damage would kill my own units as well.

playbabe wrote:

Yeah, this a good way of looking at it. The missiles enable you to, say, hit several different targets in the same bombing run. Gives you a few more options.
      yeah have fun waiting 10+ hours waiting till your artilerry destroy that stack lol. while i like them and still use them especially when I'm at a disvadvantage against an opponent for me at least i think cm are much faster at killing large units
    • My use for bombers is what they were intended to be used as, to destroy buildings. When an enemy is attacking me I like to knock out his airbases there knocking a usually crucial part of ones army, the airbase. This would be the only reason I would use bombers. My asf tend to be my missle platform as the are speedy and respond quickly and have plenty of missile capacity for my needs as well.
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• playbabe wrote:

Yes and No.

Heavy bomber is already known as very good CM platfrom, and flying missile sub for Elite bomber.
      Tho you need to remember that if enemy have AA to counter your BB... they already have counter to your CM.

If you upgrade your missiles they don't have counter anymore right? I mean sams can do 3 dmg to missiles at the begining if I'm not mistaken. But yeah upgrading your missiles is crucial if your enemies have AA that can also counter HB
    • shrek6satan wrote:

playbabe wrote:

Yes and No.

If you upgrade your missiles they don't have counter anymore right? I mean sams can do 3 dmg to missiles at the begining if I'm not mistaken. But yeah upgrading your missiles is crucial if your enemies have AA that can also counter HB
      AA tends to also get an increase in Missile dmg with upgrades.
      So no, upgrading Missiles doesn’t remove counters
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • playbabe wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

I remember long time back you could throw BMs at ships (on mobile at least). Does it still work?
      lmao that meta is funny af. it really populate frigate and submarine because all other shit gen yeeted by BM.anyway no it get patched long ago
      Ah ok thanks mate
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • Teburu wrote:

shrek6satan wrote:

playbabe wrote:

Yes and No.

AA tends to also get an increase in Missile dmg with upgrades.So no, upgrading Missiles doesn’t remove counters
      yeah but AA maxed out can only do 5.5 dmg while maxed out missiles have 15 hp so it's still better
    • shrek6satan wrote:

Teburu wrote:

shrek6satan wrote:

playbabe wrote:

Yes and No.

AA tends to also get an increase in Missile dmg with upgrades.So no, upgrading Missiles doesn’t remove counters
      yeah but AA maxed out can only do 5.5 dmg while maxed out missiles have 15 hp so it's still better
      You need only 3 to completely no-sell any CMs tho…
      I am The Baseline for opinions