Armour support for good strategies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• japan samurai wrote:

Should we get the AFV? The TD or the MBT for our ground troops to act as support if we ever need to. Especially since a nation without any ground armour is especially weak without its air force and cannot defend too well without being online.
      Especially when met with a player of same skill
      This topic sounds suspiciously like the topic that you already discussed (just this last week) in a different thread? What new information are you trying to learn?
    • I mean, you could've asked on the original thread, and you'd still get an answer...

Seems to me you're looking for the answer you want, and not the answer that is generally accepted.
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • it always depends on what's going on around you. Reading the news and scanning the map should give you an idea of what you should be making.

personally I try to avoid artillery when I can. Only time I go for artillery is when either the other players are going for artillery and they know how to use it well or when I'm solo against a highly active coalition. Going artillery all the time is boring as hell and tedious trying to avoid fatal mistakes. Everyone, well most of us, sleeps and go inactive for a good portion of the game. That's part of the game and in my opinion it's fair to use that time to attack players, though I don't do it myself cause I don't like fighting AIs. Artillery is glass cannon, if they get into melee combat they're done for and they along with other support units shrink supply production a lot by the time the player is ready to go into war with them. So if you see artillery attacking you, chances are most of them are nearby.

I've had matches where I've burnt all of africa to ashes with 2 stacks of armoured units being followed by support units (not including artillery). 5 anti tank+4 AFV+ tank commander and an other stack with 5-6 anti tank and 4-5 AFV at max lvl can shred a stack of MRL in 1 or 2 hits if caught by surprise. There is good balances among most units and aside from just the units there are so many other factors in every game that decide the outcome of any fight.

If you like armoured units then use them. You can defeat artillery players, it's just not easy but you learn more when you have a disadvantage. An army is only as good as its commander
    • Evaluation of armored units:

CRV: early game, useless later other than for recon/anti spec ops, reason: useless against armor, you might as well spam infantry

AFV: Too weak against armor, a maxed AFV will be blown to bits by a level 1 MBT if caught in the wrong terrain

AAV: Good for a specific *niche* type of operation, lets say you plan to make an amphibious landing with marines and spec ops, or smth, you could use it. Generally speaking, not very useful

MBT: Expensive piece of rock that get stuck in the mud

Heavy damage against infantry and other armor, huge terrain modifier

TD: Some kind of armored anti tank NG

Effective early game against MBT spammer taking your cities
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Admira G1 wrote:

5 anti tank+4 AFV+ tank commander and an other stack with 5-6 anti tank and 4-5 AFV at max lvl can shred a stack of MRL in 1 or 2 hits if caught by surprise. There is good balances among most units and aside from just the units there are so many other factors in every game that decide the outcome of any fight.
      I'm not sure for that's a very fair comparison.

There are any number of ways you can kill a stack of MRL if you catch them by surprise, and without spending 6 billion components on all that armour.

And if the other guy is actually watching, he can retreat his MLRS to friendly territory and then outrun the armoured stacks, shooting them as he goes. I think this is where the balance needs to improve: give certain units (I'm thinking AFV, Mech Inf and MBT) a big speed boost so that they can run down artillery much more reliably.

(And chop the mobilization costs down so that they are similar to things like planes and helicopters.)
      1. My point wasn't that I took down artillery with my armoured stacks. Africa had 4 or 5 active players in that map and none of them had artillery. My point was that armoured units can still win games in the absence of smart and active artillery users so armoured units are not useless.
      Honestly, you changed my mind. I had this whole thing written down on how your two ideas, reduced production cost and speed buff, would basically nerf artillery but then I started imagining a coalition war on day 60, one side having 150-200 armoured units and the other side with half artillery and half armoured units, up to 150-200 total. I like it. I think it would make games more interesting. Especially now that EAA is dominating early- mid game play.
    • Admira G1 wrote:

5 anti tank+4 AFV+ tank commander and an other stack with 5-6 anti tank and 4-5 AFV at max lvl
      They are nothing without Proper AA cover. May be you are thinking you can damage Air Force with your max lvl AFV but you are forgetting about CM. LVL4 ASF with CM. Simple and easy counter.

That is the reason we don't like armor.

Reasons:
      1. They are not fast to move as Air Force
      2. You need AA to cover them
      3. They use Components + tronics. It means you have to cut down your production of Air Force and Navy.
      4. They fight Melee means they will receive damage every time

And after this update when ppl are starving for Components (WW3 map) getting Max lvl AFV is a day dream. well I can't say you can't make it if you got enough time. But then what is your opponents doing for all that time?

Realistically any opponent with same skill lvl as you and as active like you will expand much more faster with ASF+ EAA/ SF combo. Or they will stick to as usual Arty+AA+Radar combo.
      Have fun, nothing personal.
    • booombooom wrote:

Admira G1 wrote:

5 anti tank+4 AFV+ tank commander and an other stack with 5-6 anti tank and 4-5 AFV at max lvl
      They are nothing without Proper AA cover. May be you are thinking you can damage Air Force with your max lvl AFV but you are forgetting about CM. LVL4 ASF with CM. Simple and easy counter.
      That is the reason we don't like armor.

Reasons:
      1. They are not fast to move as Air Force
      2. You need AA to cover them
      3. They use Components + tronics. It means you have to cut down your production of Air Force and Navy.
      4. They fight Melee means they will receive damage every time

And after this update when ppl are starving for Components (WW3 map) getting Max lvl AFV is a day dream. well I can't say you can't make it if you got enough time. But then what is your opponents doing for all that time?

Realistically any opponent with same skill lvl as you and as active like you will expand much more faster with ASF+ EAA/ SF combo. Or they will stick to as usual Arty+AA+Radar combo.
      I agree. MRL uses supplies on the other hand, which frees up Comps for your navy/planes

You might think CMs(CRUISE MISSILE NOT COMMUNITY MANAGER) are overrated but you can make FOUR of them in 24 hours, which even at level 1 shreds most armor
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • KFGauss wrote:

Many opponents aren't that nice. You've managed to find some friendly ones.
      You make it sound like this is a dating game, and not a war game :rolleyes:

"Hey mate, that guy you just beat in battle with MRLs and EAA, you should take him on a date"
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • I suggest a new unit - It's a Warhead type: The fruit basket.

You mount them on ICBMs and send them to nice opponents to thank them for not killing you while you spend 10s of in-game days building units and researching tech.

Dorado can add Fruit-Baskets-Sent/Received to our stats, and can give the baskets a ranking point value equal to the value of one Road.

Fruit users can start a new church called the Fruity Church and fight holy wars against the infidels in the Church of the Road. When the Fruit Basket ICBM hits, it destroys all (heretical) roads within a 100 splash radius.