Challenge: Solo - No Navy (HARD)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Challenge: Solo - No Navy (HARD)

I have thought of a challenge for us who have nothing better to do to try in public games. Here are the details:
      • Mobilising any naval vessel, surface or submarine, is banned. For those too lazy to check, these are Corvettes, Frigates, Destroyers, Cruisers, Aircraft Carriers, Attack Submarines, Ballistic Missile Submarines, Naval Officers, Submarine Officers, and Elite AIP Submarines.
      • Using any transport ships to transport troops across the oceans is banned. Only air transport and ground transport is allowed. (Basically, if I were to play as Australia for this challenge, I'm screwed.)
      • Only solo: No coalitions (ROW with others is allowed)
      Downsides of the challenge:
      • Most obvious, can't leave your own continent unless 1. you have an ally with ROW on a different continent to ferry troops, or 2. air assaulting with airborne infantry, capturing a province, then building an air field.
      • Early game, there isn't any defence against navy, except if corvettes, ASF and Strikers, or frigates...Yea, you're screwed once the enemy gets frigates.
      • Basically impossible as island nations like Cuba, Ireland, the UK, Madagascar, Indonesia, Australia, Japan, and NZ.
      Upsides:
      • If playing as a landlocked nation, no need to worry about early game naval bombardment by enemies.
      • If located in Eurasia, you will most likely have enough VPs to solo win. If in Africa, you can always use 1 airborne inf to cross the Suez or the Gibraltar Strait.
      • Good to try with nations like Chad, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Austria, Belarus, and Bolivia.
      I would try the challenge myself, but I'm already at my limit of games (5 to be exact). When a game finishes, I'll go for the challenge. Until then, I'll be collecting data on how you guys try this and how to best beat this examining how you lot fare with this challenge. :thumbsup:
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • Teburu wrote:

Honestly it seems pretty possible, I‘d argue that the usual lack of enemy ships makes it a lot easier.
      Including Transports seems kinda odd but makes some sort of sense I guess.

No Air/ No Ground (except NG) would probably be a lot harder.
      That'll be for after this challenge. Air only (with NG of course), then naval only (with NG). Perhaps before that no ground troops (excluding NG, including artillery). First I wanna get this out of the way tho, considering this is one of the easier ones.

• _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Starting challenge very soon. Any tips for landlocked nations?
      Belarus is nice...

You have 3 options:

1. Hard: no deal with neighbours
      2. Medium: deal with 1 neighbour such as Poland.
      3. Easy. Deal with 2 neighbours. And attack 3rd...preferable russia...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kurtvonstein ().

• This and a few other challenges have been on my list for a while. If you do try it, be sure not to announce it if you have coastal cities. Building lvl 3/4 naval bases will still help you bluff. I don't get why transport ships but I guess you're playing water is lava. I think your only options europe, asia or africa. I've solo'd in South America before and took both north and south. I think it totalled to 1300 VPs, definitely wasn't enough
    • Admira G1 wrote:

I deleted an entire paragraph cause j don't wanna ruin your fun of figuring things out during the game.
      Mission failed, we'll get em next time ;-;

In all honesty, thanks you lot :thumbsup:

• Admira G1 wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

I deleted an entire paragraph cause j don't wanna ruin your fun of figuring things out during the game. My only tip if you're playing solo, Bolivia is easiest landlocked country to play as
      not if you are limit3d to airlift...tjen you need an ally on an other continent to get over the water. Maybe paratroopers from alaska to russia. But walking to Provinz center will last for ever.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Admira G1 wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

I deleted an entire paragraph cause j don't wanna ruin your fun of figuring things out during the game. My only tip if you're playing solo, Bolivia is easiest landlocked country to play as
      not if you are limit3d to airlift...tjen you need an ally on an other continent to get over the water. Maybe paratroopers from alaska to russia. But walking to Provinz center will last for ever.
      if you're doing no navy, landlocked and solo then yes bolivia is not a good option. But if you're doing just landlocked nations, bolivia is one of the best options.

Bolivia in general is a great country but that part is just my opinion. In general South America is a great continent, if not the best, to test out new things
    • south america sucks when you want to expand...
      Only country that slowed me down more was Australia.

It took ages to get fresh troops to the spots where the fighting party i
      Happened.

Coming back to Bolivia.

Different to Belarus where you can just conquer asia, Europa and africa(and get all the Victory Points you need) with only land and airunits.
      Lets say You end up as Master of America and then you need to make landfall in africa...or Europe.
      (Hardly anybody does asia.from america cause it takes 2 days to send troops.)
      So to do Operation Overlord you need navy. Any smart opponent watching you in the progress of taking america and then annexing cities to build a fleet, will stop you with his homeland grown navy- unless you meet Belarus who doesnt need navy to win - as i might have mentioned.

So what do you think?
    • That is why I like South America, it's the terrain. Every time I play South American country, I tell coalition members or allies that South America is not for a full coalition of 5. It's too small, the more players you get in a coalition the less resources everyone gets. So keep it at 3 and get 2 more along the way, maybe 1 in North America and 1 in africa or Asia.

Like i said earlier, if you're only doing landlocked challenge, Bolivia is your best option. It's a small country, in a small continent. It's surrounded by dense terrain. Argentina and Peru usually fight day 1 or 2. Venezuela, Colombia, Peru and sometimes even Cuba fight each other. Brazil won't attack Bolivia, getting to Bolivia early game takes days from Brazil. It will most likely attack Argentina. You can just attack anyone you want around you when you're ready. Very rarely Bolivia gets attacked early game and the small size and tense terrain make it easy to defend with airforce

If you're not gonna get a navy and play solo then its impossible to even finish America i think cause you can't take Hawaii
    • Admira G1 wrote:

If you're not gonna get a navy and play solo then its impossible to even finish America i think cause you can't take Hawaii
      You could blast it into rebellion using missiles or bombers, and then it wouldn't count as an 'extra' war, because you'd probably be at war with insurgents anyway.

I think Canada might be a decent starting place for this - you don't have to play a landlocked country. You would have to take USA out early, but once you had hold of Alaska you could prepare for making the jump to Asia while expanding south at the same time.

As @kurtvonstein said, you'd need to land a paratrooper in Providenia and then walk to the province centre, which could well take two or three days. So you would probably want to make sure you could send other airmobile units like TDs, TAs or SpF with it, or else some form of air cover, so you could protect it. And then you'd want a bunch of other airlift-capable stuff on the ready to transfer over there as soon as you'd got an airbase built.

Bit of a faff! But might be an interesting thing to try.
    • Ok so I've narrowed it down to Kazakhstan, Mongolia and Belarus. Belarus is nice but I dislike Europe in general. Then again 6 cities, 2 supplies as landlocked nation is nice.

Kazakhstan is good if played correctly and no hyper-agressive Russia. 6 cities again, with 2 supplies. A lot of AI to expand into as well, and not many threats.

Mongolia is only 5 cities, but enemy cities are so far away it's hard to get invaded. Double-edged sword tho, so harder to expand, especially if Japan is smart and overruns Korea and China. Prolly the worst option here.

I'm thinking of going for Kazakhstan, thoughts?