1-way shared intel without knowledge/permission?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 1-way shared intel without knowledge/permission?

Hi,

I am fairly new to the game, so you will have to excuse me if I am misunderstanding something. Recently I was playing Rising Tides, and my mostly non-communitive coalition leader was spending gold extremely heavily (along with another player, who was golding me into submission and virtually destroying all of my cities with sabotage and instantly rehealing his units just because I had left his coalition earlier in the game). There were only the 2 of us in our coalition. At some point, I started being able to see in real-time all of one other player's territory and troops. On the diplomacy screen it showed that this player was sharing intel with me, but I wasn't with him. I had no previous interactions with this player, never in same coalition, never at war, etc. He was at peace with my coalition leader, but they had battled previously and my coalition leader seemed to have a vendetta against him. I sent my leader a message asking why I could see everything country X was doing, but he didn't reply (not surprising, since he pretty much never replied. He was in it for himself and just using me to boost his points because of the strategic sites I still held). I did not spend any gold on intel cheats, I only spent a small amount earlier in the game to boost some resources.

Mind you, this was not a snapshot that I was seeing, this was a live feed as though we were in the same coalition. At one point country X decided to send a carrier strike group my way after most likely being tipped off that I was crippled. I thought the end was inevitable for me, so I sent him a message cracking a joke about his strike group heading off on holiday to the Caribbean. He was panicked by this and a moment later I was able to see his strike group turn around in the direction of his homeland in real time. He was further spooked by the fact that I was able to tell him the positions and movements of other units in real time. He wasn't giving me much feedback about the whole ordeal since I think he thought I may have just been messing with his head. But although my diplomacy screen showed that he was sharing intel and I was not, apparently that was not what he was seeing on his. He asked me to share intel with him, which I tried doing since I figured I had nothing to lose and therfore nothing to hide. But I couldn't share intel because at the time I didn't have SC membership.

Fortunately for player X I had no qualm with him and he left me alone after knowing I could see him. So I had no reason to abuse this ability and did not use it to gain any unfair advantage and I did not use it to affect the outcome of the game (other than the fact that player x turned around and left me alone after he got spooked). But it did make for good entertainment to be able to watch both sides (my coalition leader and player X) battling it out with their hyper-inflated armies toward the end of the game.

Anyway, after this experience my questions are:

1. Is this the way that the Reveal Nation's Forces feature really works, or was it some sort of glitch?
      2. If someone in my coalition purchases it, do I see what he sees?
      3. If in fact this is the way this feature works, and it lasts for the remainder of the game, does anyone else feel that it should be considered outright cheating and should be removed from the game?
      4. (a bit off-topic) Is it normal for players to spend hundreds of US dollars on gold purchases in a single game, or is this just something that happens occasionally? I am all for game companies using in-app purchases to generate a revenue stream, but the amount of money being spent by multiple players in this particular game made it seem like an absurd addiction, and likely makes it impossible for those with more modest financial resources to compete in many instances.

Looking forward to learning more
    • dorkbreath wrote:

but the amount of money being spent by multiple players in this particular game made it seem like an absurd addiction, and likely makes it impossible for those with more modest financial resources to compete in many instances.

To put it in game terms somewhat like Michael Douglas did in the clip, "Gold is good."

I have yet to see the kind of spending you witnessed, and I suspect that it was an outlier in behavior.
      Still, as I understand it, the game devs STRONGLY discourage critiques of the amount of gold players spend (something about being banned for writing ill of those who do make freely with the gold).
    • 1. It sounds like some sort of glitch or he really just didn't the option to change his relation from Shared Intel back to a different one.
      2. If someone in your coa uses Gold to reveal stuff, you also see what he revealed
      3. It does not work that way, see 1. so you might want to file an actual bug report
      4. It's not "normal" but it certainly happens
      I am The Baseline for opinions