How to hit and run properly

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Teburu wrote:

How to do it properly? Do it against moving targets, it works best against them.

Against stationary targets with same range it can be fairly unreliable.
      stop sharing meta secrets don't be a traitor
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Hit&Run is not necessarily about not getting hit (it becomes really difficult while facing good opponents) unless you have range adavantage.

However, if you hit first, then you do your damage first, and over time in will add up and you will win the attrition.

Let me give a simple example:

you have 10 Arty vs. 10 Arty, you shoot and kill one, so only 9 of them shoot back at you and they don't manage to kill any, you run back and then again turn around and shoot first, killing another artillery, now only 8 Arty shoot back at you, etc. You are getting shot but by systematically less firepower than what you are bringing to the table, and eventually that adds up.

Hope I am clear !
    • CaptainGalette wrote:

Hit&Run is not necessarily about not getting hit (it becomes really difficult while facing good opponents) unless you have range adavantage.

However, if you hit first, then you do your damage first, and over time in will add up and you will win the attrition.

you have 10 Arty vs. 10 Arty, you shoot and kill one, so only 9 of them shoot back at you and they don't manage to kill any, you run back and then again turn around and shoot first, killing another artillery, now only 8 Arty shoot back at you, etc. You are getting shot but by systematically less firepower than what you are bringing to the table, and eventually that adds up.

Hope I am clear !
      One word answer: "No"

While shooting at someone first is always good, the goal is to not get hit.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • The Ewac wrote:

CaptainGalette wrote:

Hit&Run is not necessarily about not getting hit (it becomes really difficult while facing good opponents) unless you have range adavantage.

Hope I am clear !
      One word answer: "No"
      While shooting at someone first is always good, the goal is to not get hit.
      hum, interesting. Sure the best case scenario is to not get hit, but how you can get that consistently against good opponents ? (I am talking Alliance challenges, hit&run being much less relevant in pub matches) Same range, both on top of your micro...
    • CaptainGalette wrote:

The Ewac wrote:

CaptainGalette wrote:

Hope I am clear !
      One word answer: "No"While shooting at someone first is always good, the goal is to not get hit.
      hum, interesting. Sure the best case scenario is to not get hit, but how you can get that consistently against good opponents ? (I am talking Alliance challenges, hit&run being much less relevant in pub matches) Same range, both on top of your micro...
      more range, faster reaction, bait, better angle

artillery vs artillery is not ideal to begin with tbh
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • CaptainGalette wrote:

The Ewac wrote:

CaptainGalette wrote:

Hope I am clear !
      One word answer: "No"While shooting at someone first is always good, the goal is to not get hit.
      Sometimes having a dummy stack nearby to confuse your opponent can get him to shoot at the wrong stack…have stacks pass through each other, if he is not paying close attention he can get confused where to fire. Another option is to place a tank commander with your artillery for a speed boost. Pay attention to any modifiers in the terrain and use those speed changes to your advantage. Even the “road” angles can be utilized to maximize your escape.

Ultimately however, you are probably going to take some hits vs a capable opponent.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Indeed, in high skill scenarios, you don't assume you will be able to avoid getting hit. You try first and foremost to be the first damage dealer.

For the rest, Aenas of Troy is right, we are entering on the field of tactics and "what if" that you usually try "with the hope it works", as long as it doesn't jeopardises your own odds.

Average state of mind between correct fighters is "we will exhange blows", but if you are consistantly hitting first, the enemy will be the first to drop out of bloodloss.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Mostly we are speaking of challenges or inter-alliance events.

In public games, as you point, you generally hit&run people without needing to do anything, because they usually don't do artillery anyway.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Mostly we are speaking of challenges or inter-alliance events.

In public games, as you point, you generally hit&run people without needing to do anything, because they usually don't do artillery anyway.
      Thanks for your reply
      I think something is broken.
      My experience. I'm playing since 2019. Was (and am) a member of several alliances. I 've never received an invitation for something serious during all that time.
      So I am playing public and it's no fun like at all, and you explained it in full. Guess, I'm not the only one.
      Sorry, it's offtop again...
    • Alliances come in very different styles, and when we say "alliances", we refer mostly at :

"Organised and active alliances that take part in the community", they act as de facto gravity well for good players, and as you know, competition drives growth.

It's likely you are in a dead or not active alliance. They are... many, since the only thing you need to create an alliance is "SC". Typically, alliances have thousands of daily messages on their discord server, a booming place where people organise together their maps, while the leadership usually oversee the organisation of alliance battles
    • Drony77 wrote:

Opulon wrote:

Mostly we are speaking of challenges or inter-alliance events.

Thanks for your replyI think something is broken.
      My experience. I'm playing since 2019. Was (and am) a member of several alliances. I 've never received an invitation for something serious during all that time.
      So I am playing public and it's no fun like at all, and you explained it in full. Guess, I'm not the only one.
      Sorry, it's offtop again...
      If you wish to join, I am a in new young alliance who seeks to develop our skills and XP. We are rather fresh (1 MED win, 1 MED loss, 1 Able Archer win) but trying to grow and learn, and welcoming any active player willing to join. You can send me a MP.

Agree with most @Opulon points, in alliance matches, you generally play against skilled opponents with the same resources/range so it is about hitting first, in pub matches, hit&run rarely comes up.
    • well I only do with navy.

Fire on any blue dot in radar range (no sense waiting to let them fire first) then hit immediate reverse. If active they may pursue you; but depends on ship type / conditions may or may not catch you. If stationary just stay out of range for 1 hr than rinse / repeat. Having nav patrol helps greatly as you can see enemy coming before he sees you on radar.
      Many people don't realize they can not fire a ship while moving and have had guys actively follow me for an hr (thanks for letting me reload so I can smack you a 2nd time ;) ). Were as if they just stopped they could hit; but i think human nature to chase and they think you are running from them scared instead of just buying time to reload. usually after they get hit 2nd time they figure it out.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Zozo001 wrote:

The Pale Rider wrote:

Many people don't realize they can not fire a ship while moving
      Perhaps they don't because they can, actually.
      Secret feature confirmed??1/1?!!?/!?1?!
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.