DEVELOPER DIARY 22: HIGH TIDES, MEASURED RIDES

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yak wrote:

Air-Assault can use Carriers:

In real world scenarios, carriers are used to launch air-assault operations regularly. A function absent from the current implementation of CoN, adding this change is an interesting proposition given that Air Assault can definitely benefit from it along with Naval skirmishes.

Thus, changes to Air-assault units are coming! We will soon allow Air-Assault able units to use carriers as launch points, extending the range they can use to Air-assault. We anticipate this to be available before the release of Season 9.
      Protecting your coastline is about to become a f----ing nightmare! (In a good way, natch)

Air assault (mostly) has a range of 400. That's quite far away from the coast for the defender to have to detect the Carrier. Mobile Radar on the coast aren't going to cut it, and neither are corvettes acting in a coastal protection role. Add to that, you aren't going to see the air-assault helis coming over the sea in the way you can see them over land you control, unless you've got high level AWACS, or they happen to fly directly over one of your ships en route. It'll be very, very difficult to defend (or feel safe) against that.

Possible solutions:
      -Give Corvettes (and maybe Frigates? [actually, no, because it would affect deep-sea ship-to-ship engagements too much]) a longer-range radar, and one that can detect helicopters at the higher levels?
      -Give NPAs and ASW Helis the ability to detect helicopters on radar?
      -Buff NPAs (and NSFs, NASFs, drones?) so that they have better view-range than ships, so they can reccy naval radar contacts without getting too badly shot up?
      -Give ASW Helis a better anti-ship value a bit earlier in the research line?
      -Bring the AWACS heli-detection ability down a few levels, so you can get it earlier?

It's a really great gameplay addition, potentially, but if you're playing as a country with a big Homeland coastline, how are you going to defend against it other than by having ships and ASFs stationed absolutely everywhere?

The post was edited 7 times, last by WalterChang ().

• WalterChang wrote:

Yak wrote:

Air-Assault can use Carriers:

In real world scenarios, carriers are used to launch air-assault operations regularly. A function absent from the current implementation of CoN, adding this change is an interesting proposition given that Air Assault can definitely benefit from it along with Naval skirmishes.

Thus, changes to Air-assault units are coming! We will soon allow Air-Assault able units to use carriers as launch points, extending the range they can use to Air-assault. We anticipate this to be available before the release of Season 9.
      Protecting your coastline is about to become a f----ing nightmare! (In a good way, natch)
      Air assault (mostly) has a range of 400. That's quite far away from the coast for the defender to have to detect the Carrier. Mobile Radar on the coast aren't going to cut it, and neither are corvettes acting in a coastal protection role. Add to that, you aren't going to see the air-assault helis coming over the sea in the way you can see them over land you control, unless you've got high level AWACS, or they happen to fly directly over one of your ships en route. It'll be very, very difficult to defend (or feel safe) against that.

Possible solutions:
      -Give Corvettes (and maybe Frigates? [actually, no, because it would affect deep-sea ship-to-ship engagements too much]) a longer-range radar, and one that can detect helicopters at the higher levels?
      -Give NPAs and ASW Helis the ability to detect helicopters on radar?
      -Buff NPAs (and NSFs, NASFs, drones?) so that they have better view-range than ships, so they can reccy naval radar contacts without getting too badly shot up?
      -Give ASW Helis a better anti-ship value a bit earlier in the research line?
      -Bring the AWACS heli-detection ability down a few levels, so you can get it earlier?

It's a really great gameplay addition, potentially, but if you're playing as a country with a big Homeland coastline, how are you going to defend against it other than by having ships and ASFs stationed absolutely everywhere?
      If it is easy to defend then the whole point of having a Aircraft Carrier is nullified. For the heavy cost of getting a Carrier, it’s SUPPOSED to be a nightmare to defend against. If there is a Carrier out there, you are not supposed to feel safe. :D
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

If it is easy to defend then the whole point of having a Aircraft Carrier is nullified. For the heavy cost of getting a Carrier, it’s SUPPOSED to be a nightmare to defend against. If there is a Carrier out there, you are not supposed to feel safe.
      I take your point, but you must admit that this is going to fundamentally change the nature of how wars are fought in CoN (not necessarily for the worse, I must add).

At the moment the game gives you certain choke points where invasions can come from: harbours, naval bases or land borders. If you defend those choke points, have reasonable radar coverage around your coast and keep your land borders far enough away from your homeland, you can be fairly confident that you're not going to wake up in the morning with an enemy army in your capital city.

This changes things. Naval infantry can land in unexpected places already, but they take nearly 3 hours to disembark and you can see them coming if you have radars or ships around your coast. Airmobile units move a lot faster, take only 1 hour to disembark, and you can't see them coming on (most) radar.

You're going to be able to drop a pile of artillery, MAA, SAMs, TDs onto someone's land from pretty much anywhere, with almost no warning. And, you're presumably going to be able to do this from the new Helicopter Carrier ships, which will be cheaper and easier to produce en masse than the current A/Cs are. Then you're going to be able to build an airfield on the captured province and fly in whatever else you want! All in the space of a night-time.

It's going to be interesting. I guess it makes AWACS (and perhaps NPAs?) all the more important, which isn't a bad thing. But the problem with radar is that you don't know whether that little blue dot is a single Corvette or an entire Carrier Strike Group, unless you attack it. That's perhaps something the devs could consider looking at as well.
    • WalterChang wrote:

This changes things. Naval infantry can land in unexpected places already, but they take nearly 3 hours to disembark and you can see them coming if you have radars or ships around your coast. Airmobile units move a lot faster, take only 1 hour to disembark, and you can't see them coming on (most) radar.

You're going to be able to drop a pile of artillery, MAA, SAMs, TDs onto someone's land from pretty much anywhere, with almost no warning. And, you're presumably going to be able to do this from the new Helicopter Carrier ships, which will be cheaper and easier to produce en masse than the current A/Cs are. Then you're going to be able to build an airfield on the captured province and fly in whatever else you want! All in the space of a night-time.
      I don’t believe that the Helicopter Carrier will allow to troops to air-assault from it, only the A/Cs.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • colonel ace wrote:

do you think air assault should have vehicles when landed like special forces? I do because in real life they do
      you can airdrop recon, tank destroyers and so one..what else do you need?

and paratroopers beeing slow is a good thing to prevent fast looting...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Yak wrote:

Ship carry-capacity

Carry-capacity is something that we haven't really touched in CON previously. Transport ships fill that role. But units like the Heli Carrier and Aircraft Carrier regularly carry compliments of troops to engage in ground operations. This is the most experimental feature/idea until now, and as it stands we are exploring options and brainstorming ideas on expanding gameplay in this domain. We don't have a lot of specifics here as the feature is in it's infancy production-wise. The general idea is to give ships the ability to utilize carry-capacity for units. This will allow them to transport units faster than if they were transport ships. Eventually, it will allow units like the Airborne infantry to 'ferry' to the aircraft carrier. This will require a fair bit of development, definitely will be after Season 9.
      This is very interesting to me. Would it be possible to implement a carrying capacity of 1 Special Forces unit to a submarine? Because it would be really nice to be able to sneak them up to the enemy coast without the transport ship getting detected so easily.
    • WalterChang wrote:

Yak wrote:

Ship carry-capacity

Carry-capacity is something that we haven't really touched in CON previously. Transport ships fill that role. But units like the Heli Carrier and Aircraft Carrier regularly carry compliments of troops to engage in ground operations. This is the most experimental feature/idea until now, and as it stands we are exploring options and brainstorming ideas on expanding gameplay in this domain. We don't have a lot of specifics here as the feature is in it's infancy production-wise. The general idea is to give ships the ability to utilize carry-capacity for units. This will allow them to transport units faster than if they were transport ships. Eventually, it will allow units like the Airborne infantry to 'ferry' to the aircraft carrier. This will require a fair bit of development, definitely will be after Season 9.
      This is very interesting to me. Would it be possible to implement a carrying capacity of 1 Special Forces unit to a submarine? Because it would be really nice to be able to sneak them up to the enemy coast without the transport ship getting detected so easily.
      Why not just make it so the SFS transport ships are invisible? I mean, if they can fly "invisible" choppers into enemy land, it'd make sense for them to be able to land "invisible" ships too.
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • I want to say thank you for Air-Assault on Carriers and Helicopter Carriers. This two thing that I wanted!!! I wrote this somewhere but I was not sure that this updates because of my posts. Anyway, I want to say thank you for this updates!

P. S. How about landing on carriers all troops that can use transport helicopters?
      Что вы остолбенели?! Живо поднять гарнизон! Ну!
    • LIST OF LANDING SHIP:

WEST

T1 - Raleigh-Class

T2 - Austin-Class

T3 - San Antonio-Class

EURO

There has huge arsenal's, for to pick only 3x unit type ship into CoN.

- Foudre-Class

- Jason-Class

- Galicia-Class

- Rotterdam-Class

- Albion-Class

- Bay-Class

EAST

T1 - Ropucha II-Class (none helipad on deck)

T2 - Ivan Rogov-Class

T3 - Ivan Gren-Class

These units has AA-Defence, and it's can carrier about 5x to 15x units in 1x same ship.
      Guns are always loaded.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GunlessLands: Font size error. moment ago, i fixed it. ().

• What I understand about using air assaut from A/C and H/C is that they're the only so called airmobile unit able to do that. It makes sence since even IRL you can disembark few light infantry chalks from e.g. Wasp class but you can't anything else like towed howitzers - you need LC for that. Game wise that means you can suprise your enemies with multible airborne troops but they can only secure land without support. So for anything else like SAMs or SPGs you would still need airfield, harbour or pontoon
    • JohnFKennedy wrote:

great i love the air assault concept
      also how expensive will the heli carrier be can it carry air assualts too. and the normal carrier i rlly think that u should let ur allies use it too.
      Nice as it would be, say an ally of yours just puts NSFs on your carrier, then never removes them. That just ends up taking 5 spots on your carrier.
      "You don't know what Discord furries will do to you. But I do. I've seen 'em with my own two eyes."
    • 575-Kranzegrad wrote:

LIST OF LANDING SHIP:

WEST

T1 - Raleigh-Class

T2 - Austin-Class

T3 - San Antonio-Class

EURO

T1 - Foudre-Class

T2 - Galicia-Class

T3 - Rotterdam-Class

EAST

T1 - Ropucha II-Class (none helipad on deck)

T2 - Ivan Rogov-Class

T3 - Ivan Gren-Class

These units has AA-Defence, and it's can carrier about 5x to 15x units in 1x same ship.
      NEW INFO: Updated.
      Guns are always loaded.