Opinions on the Airborne Infantry?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What I'm trying to say it that this topic has already been discussed to death more than once.

If you're actually interested in learning and not just starting up a thread because you're bored - The place to start is by absorbing all the information in those previous threads.

If you still have questions after reading all the forum info that's already at your fingertips, I recommend appending your question(s) (that will be informed by what you've learned) to the most appropriate of the existing threads.

Doing that will make learning easier for future readers.

Google is your friend.
    • For cost/ time of buildings to produce they are probably one of least efficient units and really not effective as attacking units.

1. Can get shot down by any Airforce crossing over enemy lines and defenseless in the air. well that pretty much covers it.

2. 400 mile range not getting very far. In some Asian/ s American prov that range would have to build an airfield in every prov.

3. Army 1 / Airbase 2 - Sorry I'm building planes with my Airbases. 10 airborne units or 10 EAA/SF....hmmm.

4. you loose your only AB within 400 miles and your walking out at .10 speed. Actually funniest GIF as unit is a giant guy walking.

5. 1000 Components / 400 Elec take away from building better weapons (planes; ships; and pretty much anything else).

The best / only use I found was mop up duty (good in small /dense prov areas in mtns / jungles). But requires micro management as cant waypoint; but 1 game did use to clean up a lot of southern africa pretty fast. But only good for areas you knw are clear; so really better just do same thing with a few NG overnight on long runs.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 2 times, last by The Pale Rider ().

• In Europe and the Middle East, it can be decent to secure VP quickly, but this can be done with any infantry unit just a tad bit slower and it requires more work and activity to take lots of territories.

Investing into an all-airmobile fighting force can backfire hugely if you're up against any sort of reasonably skilled player. It's extremely easy to lockdown air space i.e just attack the airfields or patrol over vital areas with ASF.

In all honesty, the real merit of airborne infantry is that they just look and feel cool. Their practice is to go deep inland to secure land but even that range is so small and can be countered with ease. (such low HP btw)

Not worth it unless you think it's cool
      Files
    • KoopKoopyGuy wrote:

Alright, @Pale Rider, but what do you think they should be used for that makes them more efficient?

Maybe they can be used for quick intervention if your land units are too far?
      As I stated. Mop up duty in small/dense prov areas; but you have to micro manage 1 prov at a time.

And not sure how "quick" intervention or where units too far away. SF; EAA or Bombers even helicopters would get there way faster and much more cost / damage effective. Like GI said some units just sound cool but are not practical in a long game winning strategy.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

• KoopKoopyGuy wrote:

Alright, @Pale Rider, but what do you think they should be used for that makes them more efficient?

They can be useful in certain niche situations, or to give you the edge in a tight battle.

Being able to quickly capture empty provinces around the flanks or behind where the enemy's main force is can allow you to bring other units forward in those areas without revealing what you've got. Or it can allow you to send air units deeper into enemy territory without the other guy seeing them coming.
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

What's this, the 1000th thread about heli inf?
      You could say the same about 90 pct of forum threads

• The Pale Rider wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

What's this, the 1000th thread about heli inf?
      You could say the same about 90 pct of forum threads
      Lol fair enough. Do encourage new forum members to actually read older threads tho.
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • The Pale Rider wrote:

KoopKoopyGuy wrote:

As I stated. Mop up duty in small/dense prov areas; but you have to micro manage 1 prov at a time.
      And not sure how "quick" intervention or where units too far away. SF; EAA or Bombers even helicopters would get there way faster and much more cost / damage effective. Like GI said some units just sound cool but are not practical in a long game winning strategy.
      I agree. I wish they could be more useful but lacking range and HP makes them an expensive toy. I used them for mopping up occasionally and once I used them to great effect in a lead off offensive to cross over into Cuba and secure a pontoon and airfield to land heavier firepower. Against a knowledgeable player they would die quickly.
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • If they had vehicles like special forces that would be great. I hate the fact that airfields are destroyed when occupied. If there is no battle in the province the airfied should not be destroyed. Special forces need to be able to occupy airfields By the way paratroopers are not outdated. For example in th 2003 invation of Iraq. Paratroopers were dropped in Operation nothern delay. The same the french did in mali. 82nd airbonrne! It would be great for rapid intervention. Besides planes have greater range and if the opponent for some reason does not have anti air or fighters in the area, It will be effective. Besides you can destroy the anti air if you have cruise missiles with greater range from the anti air. It could be used to fight rouge state too
    • colonel ace wrote:

If they had vehicles like special forces that would be great. I hate the fact that airfields are destroyed when occupied. If there is no battle in the province the airfied should not be destroyed. Special forces need to be able to occupy airfields By the way paratroopers are not outdated. For example in th 2003 invation of Iraq. Paratroopers were dropped in Operation nothern delay. The same the french did in mali. 82nd airbonrne! It would be great for rapid intervention. Besides planes have greater range and if the opponent for some reason does not have anti air or fighters in the area, It will be effective. Besides you can destroy the anti air if you have cruise missiles with greater range from the anti air. It could be used to fight rouge state too
      if Special forces can occupy and capture airfeilds, that means its almost like every other infrantry. Honestly That is the purpose of AM inf.
      SPF can however stay in the center where the airfield is and ambush any planes or units landing there. However keep in mind that you better have like at least >3-4 since planes have 15hp each ok ground. That would however conpromise you’re SPF position which is why you only do that when you have generally higher no.s . IF NOT ,SPf are generally for helping artillery and planes/helis to scout out targets to kill