Nuke Mechanics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Call_Me_Ainz wrote:

I know using nukes causes morale loss, but I really want to push the button. Will nuking a city remove it from the map like in Civ5 or is this going to be a major letdown and just kill units in an invisible explosion?
      Nukes arent worth it.

Conv BMs more efficient and less morale damage. I can launch 6 BMs at once from my 3 Elite Bombers and wipe out a homeland in 1 swoop.

Nukes or even researching nukes puts a huge target on your back. Anyone even gets Chem weapons Im flying my bombers their way before they can have launch capability.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • The Pale Rider wrote:

Call_Me_Ainz wrote:

I know using nukes causes morale loss, but I really want to push the button. Will nuking a city remove it from the map like in Civ5 or is this going to be a major letdown and just kill units in an invisible explosion?
      Nukes arent worth it.
      Conv BMs more efficient and less morale damage. I can launch 6 BMs at once from my 3 Elite Bombers and wipe out a homeland in 1 swoop.

Nukes or even researching nukes puts a huge target on your back. Anyone even gets Chem weapons Im flying my bombers their way before they can have launch capability.
      Absp;ute;y Agreed. I think in all of my matches, I have only used nukes and chem once, MAYBE twice.
    • The Pale Rider wrote:

Call_Me_Ainz wrote:

Nukes arent worth it.

b-but explosion makes happy chemical
      I may or may not exist
    • I have used nukes once and it did not impress me much. I have used chems before and over used them . It really kills your morale to the point you can't leave your conquered cites to keep advancing. I have punished myself by over using missiles too much and now I just try to get by without them.
      "Retreat hell! We're not retreating ..we're just advancing in a different direction." General Oliver Smith USMC
    • after trying it I have to say totally disappointed, no mushroom cloud on the map, just a yellow splat and it's over. I would counter argue that nuke cruise missiles are worth it, I was mainly land bound so I focused on air and land unit research, when I left my landmass another player had focused on sea units and he kept killing my units with stacks of destroyers and subs. I launched a nuke cruise missle from an attack sub and didn't have that issue anymore.
    • Call_Me_Ainz wrote:

after trying it I have to say totally disappointed, no mushroom cloud on the map, just a yellow splat and it's over.
      Back in the day they had a live broadcast interruption on CoN video news flash of nuke explosion. It would interrupt the game and show on everyone's screen with big boom and city destroyed and mushroom cloud.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • The Pale Rider wrote:

Call_Me_Ainz wrote:

after trying it I have to say totally disappointed, no mushroom cloud on the map, just a yellow splat and it's over.
      Back in the day they had a live broadcast interruption on CoN video news flash of nuke explosion. It would interrupt the game and show on everyone's screen with big boom and city destroyed and mushroom cloud.
      thats something I like in cow
      I may or may not exist
    • Kaiservar wrote:

Sorry if i'm doing necro, but i don't believe that my question requires a thread.

Does nukes affects morale if they are launched at sea? I mean, a nuke CM launched to a naval stack.
      From what I can tell, no.

Likewise if you hit a ground unit in a province vs a city I have not seen any impact on morale, although it may have a small impact on morale it wasn't significant or noticeable.
    • Kaiservar wrote:

Sorry if i'm doing necro, but i don't believe that my question requires a thread.

Does nukes affects morale if they are launched at sea? I mean, a nuke CM launched to a naval stack.
      **** Warning! KFG "Google it" Trigger Text detected! ****
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I only use nukes when i am sure of a victory and want something to do that will satisfy me. their is nothing more satisfying than launching a nuke at a city, watching it travel then finally hitting the city with the mushroom cloud animation and a green tag on the side of your screen popping up to let you know you just killed all of the units there. Extremely satisfying. But other than that dont use nukes. Except in rare cases.
      "The greatest battles are never won by men but with words"-Me

"Free flies and no work"-ME

"Duty is heavier than a mountain death as light as a feather" Lan from the Wheel of Time

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Kaiservar wrote:

**** Warning! KFG "Google it" Trigger Text detected! ****
      That fair.

I did use google to look for an answer in the forum site last night (I didn't rummage through all of the in-game Nuke descriptions or the Wiki, or the Teachers Wiki, or . . .).

In my results I saw the Civilian Casualty Morale effects @Kais already knows about.

But, I didn't find any statements about
      1. Whether nukes have any prompt moral effects separate from the Civ Casualties they cause, or
      2. If attacking an ocean province with a Nuke (or any weapon) causes Civ Casualties, or
      3. If simply launching a Nuke has a Morale effect, regardless of whether the Nuke gets intercepted by a TDS/etc. and/or regardless of how may Civ Casualties occur where the Nuke hits.

I want to GUESS that the answers to all three of these is "No", but I'll instead wait for someone else to fill in the blanks for us.

PS: @Kaiservar, never apologize for being smart enough to put related-information in one place by extending an existing useful thread, instead of scattering it across a confusing collection of overlapping threads.
    • TheShinwacker wrote:

I only use nukes when i am sure of a victory and want something to do that will satisfy me. their is nothing more satisfying than launching a nuke at a city, watching it travel then finally hitting the city with the mushroom cloud animation and a green tag on the side of your screen popping up to let you know you just killed all of the units there. Extremely satisfying. But other than that dont use nukes. Except in rare cases.

Yeah, i don't like nukes. I have used chemicals but i don't see huge differences with good conventional warhead. Now, i used it when the game was almost finished, so, i haven't time to see the morale effects.

I have never used nukes because the morale penalty, but i'm curious about nuke CM over sea. It is the most useful way to use nukes that i see, only if the morale is not affected.