Helicopter suggestions to make it more appealing to people

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The way I look at it, Gunships are probably the best early game unit for quick expansion (except the EAA, ofc). After that, there's more of a choice to make over whether to focus on Helis, SFs or artillery as your main damage-dealing weapon. And that depends on things like geography, terrain, opponents' builds, and what sort of mood you're in.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to risk:
      Strike Fighters are more of a jack-of-all-trades/master-of-none type unit. They are more versatile, but they can be rendered close-to useless by the right combination of counter-units. On the other hand, you can save resources relative to Helis because there is less research to do and fewer airbases required. And they are faster, so you can react to emergencies quicker.
      Helicopters are more specialized and more stealthy, and they are harder to counteract completely. When it comes to the crunch they are better, in all honesty - but only if you can afford to keep them updated, in large enough numbers, and serviced with enough airfields to give you the coverage you need.

I don't think the balance needs to be changed between SFs and Helis: I think it functions quite well as-is, in terms of giving you a decent level of strategic choices. Personally, I'm more comfortable fighting an opponent who builds SFs than fighting one who builds Helicopters - so I tend to favour Helis for that reason.

Strike Fighters do seem to be much more popular among players in public games. So if you wanted of think of ways to give Helis more appeal to those players so that you see helis more often in public games, then I'd suggest adjusting the mobilization costs a bit, maybe? I've always thought Strike Fighters (and ASFs for that matter) are much too cheap relative to other units anyway. Frankly, I wouldn't object if they doubled the cost of mobilizing Fighter jets. I also think the airbase-level required for building them could be moved up.
    • Doubling the cost of fixed wing air units would be a good way to make tanks and other melee units more valuable. Then increase the cost of artillery units (or decrease their speed) along with that and the units would be a lot more balanced.

Artillery units that are in position would rule over melee units, but strong melee stacks could overwhelm artillery units when in rage and in favorable terrain. It would also make helicopters quite attractive as the substantial research costs of combined stacks of choppers would be less of a game breaker.
    • IMO there is only two major issue with Heli
      first is damage distribution of ground int
      and second is range.. which kinda intentioned weak point so we will skip this

Any kind of focus damage unit suffer a lot from distribution.
      Armor unit will soak up Gunship heli's damage
      Infantry unit will soak up Attack heli's damage
      so in the end you'll need to mixed heli which turn out to deal damage almost same as stack of SF

So in my another thread i do suggested ability to focus damage on appropriated unit type for those unit with focus damage

You can read more here inf interested
      [Underdog Update - Patch Notes 2XXX.XX (mocked update)] [link]
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • japan samurai wrote:

Ok folks. heres this.
      You actually don’t have to make the atk chopper and the Gunship heli, you can make one. But anyways, if you do both, usually get atk choppers at day 7-10.

So heres the thing…litterally nothing counters helis other than MaA that be annoying and ASf. But almost everything counters SF from ASF , to Frigates to MAA (early game) and SAMs. And basically As helicopters, they are supposed to be CAS not CAP while fighters are supposed to be CAP not CAS
      CAP : combat air patrol
      CAS : close air support
      So with a ASF and GH stack early fame, you are pretty much going to defeat the enemy SF ASF stack by sheer numbers and better HP altogether, where the GH protect the ASF from plane to plane damage so it can fight longer , and the ASF protects the GHs from ground damage (reduce damage received)

SF is more beginner friendly and is all in all easier to use. More flexible and well, its a dual purpose aircraft with deep strike capabilities.

Heli strat is more advanced and needs good strategy and thinking ahead to counter enemies. This strategy works really well in the hands of a good player.
      I usually don't really use choppers past day 8-ish, by that time my strikers are at least lvl 2 and can do the job more efficiently.
      "El experto en todos fue una vez un bêginara"

"You didn't see me sneak under the door" :evil: :evil:
    • playbabe wrote:

IMO there is only two major issue with Heli
      first is damage distribution of ground int
      and second is range.. which kinda intentioned weak point so we will skip this

Any kind of focus damage unit suffer a lot from distribution.
      Armor unit will soak up Gunship heli's damage
      Infantry unit will soak up Attack heli's damage
      so in the end you'll need to mixed heli which turn out to deal damage almost same as stack of SF

So in my another thread i do suggested ability to focus damage on appropriated unit type for those unit with focus damage

You can read more here inf interested
      [Underdog Update - Patch Notes 2XXX.XX (mocked update)] [link]
      Exactly, HELIS don't have any protection against their main attack unit vessels, it screws me up :(
      National Guards Should Not Be Underestimated 8)
    • Flat Stanley wrote:

japan samurai wrote:

Ok folks. heres this.
      You actually don’t have to make the atk chopper and the Gunship heli, you can make one. But anyways, if you do both, usually get atk choppers at day 7-10.

So heres the thing…litterally nothing counters helis other than MaA that be annoying and ASf. But almost everything counters SF from ASF , to Frigates to MAA (early game) and SAMs. And basically As helicopters, they are supposed to be CAS not CAP while fighters are supposed to be CAP not CAS
      CAP : combat air patrol
      CAS : close air support
      So with a ASF and GH stack early fame, you are pretty much going to defeat the enemy SF ASF stack by sheer numbers and better HP altogether, where the GH protect the ASF from plane to plane damage so it can fight longer , and the ASF protects the GHs from ground damage (reduce damage received)

SF is more beginner friendly and is all in all easier to use. More flexible and well, its a dual purpose aircraft with deep strike capabilities.

Heli strat is more advanced and needs good strategy and thinking ahead to counter enemies. This strategy works really well in the hands of a good player.
      I usually don't really use choppers past day 8-ish, by that time my strikers are at least lvl 2 and can do the job more efficiently.