Navy is Overrated

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Navy is Overrated

it's terrible expensive, barely makes any damage to ground units and most of the time cannot even protect an island nation without A- Damage control or B- an early "warning system" like npas and awacs which leads to my 4th point: npas, awc helis (whatever their name is) and leveled up cruises missiles can defend better and are a whole lot cheaper. Also something I'm starting to wonder is why do island players think rushing ships is super important? It doesn't actually protect since it's only one ship and like i said before no damage control thus doesnt prevent an naval assualt. So my question is why so many people think they're good?
    • KFGauss wrote:

Isn't this one of those times when Google is your friend?

Have you looked carefully at the zillions of post and threads dedicated to explaining this topic?

Enter these search terms will turn up a wealth of information, you can obviously modify the search to suit you needs:
      site:forum.conflictnations.com navy
      if the search function actually worked in the forum maybe i'd use more often... plus imagine if the last thread was years ago
    • KFGauss wrote:

Have you looked carefully at the zillions of post and threads dedicated to explaining this topic?

Enter these search terms will turn up a wealth of information, you can obviously modify the search to suit you needs:
      I think this is more of the case of "the more you explain it, the less it makes sense for most, and the more people just do it to make you mad."

Btw I totally agree that navy is overrated, I'm past halfway on my first solo playthrough without a single ship (or convoy used, as a matter of fact).
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.
    • shrek6satan wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

if the search function actually worked in the forum maybe i'd use more often... plus imagine if the last thread was years ago
      Who said anything about using the Forum's Search function? Not me.

A recent enough thread with an opening post that lines up perfectly with yours: Current state of Naval

And, so what if it's old? Learn from it. Comment on the game's changes since it was written. Then add your opinions to it.

2+2 equaled 4 one hundred years ago, and guess what, it still does.
    • shrek6satan wrote:

it's terrible expensive, barely makes any damage to ground units and most of the time cannot even protect an island nation without A- Damage control or B- an early "warning system" like npas and awacs which leads to my 4th point: npas, awc helis (whatever their name is) and leveled up cruises missiles can defend better and are a whole lot cheaper. Also something I'm starting to wonder is why do island players think rushing ships is super important? It doesn't actually protect since it's only one ship and like i said before no damage control thus doesnt prevent an naval assualt. So my question is why so many people think they're good?

the point is that it is enough to put 1 corvette near the harbor and the enemy’s landing force will not be able to land whatever it is when you start a war, you destroy the enemy’s fleet and shipyards, and without a fleet, he will not be able to land on you, or alternatively if he does not use the sea infantry
    • you start the game through the fleet, you capture other islands because they cannot defend themselves from the fleet if the fleet themselves do not have time to build, then you pump out ballistic missiles due to the fact that you do not pump infantry, but use the cheap National Guard, you clear the cities with ships and carry out the capture, then you sail to any country, for example, India with ballistic missiles you demolish airfields with ships you break shipyards and you can make planes lvl 1 you capture a coastal city you build an airfield you overtake a plane (you don’t even need an aircraft carrier) and as a result the enemy has no fleet there are no planes you destroy infantry with planes and calmly capture the land with the National Guard sutta games through the fleet to play with a minimum of personnel losses
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Btw I totally agree that navy is overrated, I'm past halfway on my first solo playthrough without a single ship (or convoy used, as a matter of fact).
      If you have Homeland cities within 100 distance of the sea, and you don't have a navy, it's pretty difficult to prevent someone from obliterating those cities.

ASW Helis are a LOT cheaper than ships, so you can build absolute swarms of them for the same cost as a strong navy, but they can't actually prevent enemy ships from getting into range of your cities and doing damage the way that proper naval units can (plus, ships can be used both offensively and defensively, while ASW Helis are only defensive). NPAs only really work if your opponent is an idiot and forgot to build Frigates.

Once they implement airmobile units launching from aircraft carriers, it will make navies even more important, I'd imagine.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WalterChang ().

• WalterChang wrote:

_Pyth0n_ wrote:

If you have Homeland cities within 100 distance of the sea, and you don't have a navy, it's pretty difficult to prevent someone from obliterating those cities.
      ASW Helis are a LOT cheaper than ships, so you can build absolute swarms of them for the same cost as a strong navy, but they can't actually prevent enemy ships from getting into range of your cities and doing damage the way that proper naval units can (plus, ships can be used both offensively and defensively, while ASW Helis are only defensive). NPAs only really work if your opponent is an idiot and forgot to build Frigates.

Once they implement airmobile units launching from aircraft carriers, it will make navies even more important, I'd imagine.
      Oh S***
      I forgot to do that
      also i concur on the airmobile makes navies AND CARRIERS more important idea
      TANKERS
      #StandWithUkraine

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesteron
    • I've been playing a lot of land locked countries these days, and have been doing just fine without a navy.

However, if you have 2+ more coastal cities I would say it is a must have for the simple fact if you do not it's too easy for opponents to sail up & destroy those cities. At minimum you need a corvette defending pop in invasions from transport ships. Cruisers + Frigates are a must have for me anytime I have country with ports
    • shrek6satan wrote:

It seem to be right before your coast cities are blocked with high leveled frigates and cruisers. List of units that are useless against them:
      naval plane (actually all types of planes);
      asw helicopter;
      artillery (both) and mlrs;
      destroyers;
      most levels of frigates and cruisers;
      submarines;
      missiles.

So you can win this battle only if you use more ships than your enemy. BUT - 1 day and all your naval bases are destroyed. You blocked and your enemy can form any attack groups near your coast and you cant prevent it.
      It is real situation cause I was blocked this way and was really shocked.

Also aircarriers are quite useful and they need ships to protect them
      Что вы остолбенели?! Живо поднять гарнизон! Ну!
    • jack21c wrote:

shrek6satan wrote:

It seem to be right before your coast cities are blocked with high leveled frigates and cruisers. List of units that are useless against them:naval plane (actually all types of planes);
      asw helicopter;
      artillery (both) and mlrs;
      destroyers;
      most levels of frigates and cruisers;
      submarines;
      missiles.

So you can win this battle only if you use more ships than your enemy. BUT - 1 day and all your naval bases are destroyed. You blocked and your enemy can form any attack groups near your coast and you cant prevent it.
      It is real situation cause I was blocked this way and was really shocked.

Also aircarriers are quite useful and they need ships to protect them
      I'm not going to assume that high levels missiles can destroy this stack. But still my thread was about them being overrated not that you shouldn't build any kind of ships. In this case subs would work amazing. The problem is that look at the cost: one cruise at lv 1 costs 3500. That's insane! If you want to have offensive capabilities bring some good ones. HB destroy cities and are much cheaper. The dmg they do to units is miniscule but that's allright since it's to balance. there're too many counters and it's too much expensive. Now i'm not saying it's bad, ofc it's not sometimes it's essential but not as important as many players think it is
    • KFGauss wrote:

shrek6satan wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Who said anything about using the Forum's Search function? Not me.
      A recent enough thread with an opening post that lines up perfectly with yours: Current state of Naval

And, so what if it's old? Learn from it. Comment on the game's changes since it was written. Then add your opinions to it.

but you shouldn't rely on google to watch older threads. And tell me why is it such a crime to start a new thread? Doesn't make any difference really...
    • I play Indonesia exclusively and can say with confidence that if circumstances bring your country into my crosshairs and you have even just one homeland city with a port... Ill got you.
      And a landlocked nation that doesn't feel the need for a navy hasn't had a properly defended Island Nation standing in their way of victory. Rocket Launchers and Frigate combination with theater defense system added later in campaign will repel anything less than a D day commitment level of invasion. To help offset cost i save resources needed for the research, buildings, hardware and production required to launch missles and only invest in shooting them down. Negating their investment in dev, production and however many missles defeated.
      Using that fundamental strategy, with a little balance and the ability to adjust slightly according to opponent variables has proven highly successful.<span style="font-size: 20.24px; background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.1);"> And it's benefits truly excell when placed in an unselfish team environment. With an early naval advantage i have the ability to eliminate top threats and feed on nations with the philosophy that navy is overrated. This leaves my coalition members free to gain VP.
    • shrek6satan wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Who said anything about using the Forum's Search function? Not me.A recent enough thread with an opening post that lines up perfectly with yours: Current state of Naval

but you shouldn't rely on google to watch older threads. And tell me why is it such a crime to start a new thread? Doesn't make any difference really...
      Who said anything about "watching" old threads? I wrote about reading and building on previous results instead of restarting from zero discussing a topic that has been well-explored more than once.

What is wrong with ignoring that any basic answer you legitimately seek for this topic has probably been supplied more than once already and/or assuming most if not all useful opinions haven't already been written?

Well - Basically - Ignoring the results created by people who came before you is a lousy to way accomplish just about anything, in a discussion forum or elsewhere.
    • "Barely makes any damage to ground units"... as i sip my coffee barely bombarding infrastructure and resources back to day 1... barely reducing resource production and population levels as i check the baseball scores and enjoy my lunch... barely sit offshore your homeland protected in no a no fly zone while catching the latest episode of Rick and Morty.
      ROCSMH
      (Relaxing on couch shaking my head)