New Rules for AI declaring war and Morale

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Destroyer 4 wrote:

But guess what 1776 isnt ancient times, I'll understand if I said The Roman Republic vs Carthage. The only big difference about 1776 and WW1 is that in WW1 they had toxic gas.

1776 had Choo Choo trains? Nah

1776 had machines that fly in the sky? Nah

1776 had machines that traveled below sea level? Nah

1776 Had machine guns? Nah

1776 In warfare terms is ancient history? Yes
    • The Destroyer 4 wrote:

"A military can run without a capital.

Mondern example: When we left Afghanistan in 2021, Isis K had no capital anywhere in that country they only had a leader (and the poor mangement of the U.S) It had a leader weapons they took over Afghanistan when we were leaving. They had influence over the region and better strategy from the Afghans that they took over Afghanistan.

This shows that you don't need a capital to win a war, you just need a good leader and great military strategies.

Periodt, your done, your done..."

Isis K and Taliban are rival groups, not the same.

Afghanistan is loosely controlled by the Taliban the last time I checked the headlines.

What country has Isis K as it's leader?
    • JimmyMaestro wrote:

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

But guess what 1776 isnt ancient times, I'll understand if I said The Roman Republic vs Carthage. The only big difference about 1776 and WW1 is that in WW1 they had toxic gas.
      1776 had Choo Choo trains? Nah

1776 had machines that fly in the sky? Nah

1776 had machines that traveled below sea level? Nah

1776 Had machine guns? Nah

1776 In warfare terms is ancient history? Yes
      @JimmyMaestro

Ummm no. And since when should you get your military history from Rome Total War?

Bows and arrows were outdated in the 1650s, as was full plate armor. Infantry were no longer armed with spears, swords, pikes, maces, shields, javelins, etc. Contrary to the images RTW and Hollywood projects, casualties were relatively low (around 5%) during battle as long as the army maintained cohesion. Arrows and other projectiles were effective at dropping the enemies’ morale but not nearly as effective at causing casualties as many believe.

The same is true in melee combat; it is difficult to injure someone hiding behind a shield wall while dozens of dangerous tools are flicking in your direction. However, once a side broke formation and showed their backs (the battle is technically over at this point), then the casualties on the defeated side begin to soar. This is why personal courage was so important in ancient combat.

The arrival of gunpowder drastically altered all that, and not only in terms of equipment but also in terms of training. The playing field was now leveled, as a farmer with a few weeks of training with a musket was now capable of going toe-to-toe with a knight who had been training for years. Additionally, casualties mounted throughout the battle at a steady rate. And we still haven’t even discussed the cannon!

And in case you still think there is little difference between a colonial warfare (muskets) and primitive warfare (bows and arrows) read about Samuel de Champlain and his first battle against the Iroquois.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Each revolting North American colony most definitely had a colony.
      Every cheddar cheese most definite contains cheese.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • JimmyMaestro wrote:

How many machine guns did Cornwallis field?

How many machine guns did George Washington field?

1776 is ancient compared to the raw power of weapons from the 20th century. The weapons offered in our CON game.
      At the end of the day, those are still guns one just shoot multiple bullets at one time.

The first machine in was in 1884 about a 100 year period.

Ok how about another war they used muskets The Napoleon Wars (1803-1815) And that's only a 69 year period. Military tech back then didn't change so much.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • Technology back then didn't change all that much, after ww2 is when science and technology got so advanced that jets changed every 5 years.

• JimmyMaestro wrote:

1776 is ancient compared to the raw power of weapons from the 20th century.
      This is like saying that the difference between 4 and 5 is 3.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • I know my war history...

"We know a thing or two because we seen a thing or two"

• Just don't listen to what @JimmyMaestro says, ok?

• Dealer of Death wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Each revolting North American colony most definitely had a colony.
      Every cheddar cheese most definite contains cheese.
      Bah! Typo

Should have written "capitol" not "colony".

As for the value of this thread - I look at it as little as is possible - I can feel brain cells committing suicide each time I even glance at it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• JimmyMaestro wrote:

1776 had sail boats fighting.......HELLLO

Ancient

How would a 1776 sail boat fare against a battleship from the 20th century. WW1 or WW2?

A German Submarine from WW1 or WW2 vs a sailboat from 1776........Who wins?...........HELLO!!!

ANCIENT.......Hello!!!!
      But guess what, what if the people in the sail volts where veterans and the people in the destroyers were newbies. It's about quality.

• JimmyMaestro wrote:

1776 had sail boats fighting.......HELLLO

Ancient

How would a 1776 sail boat fare against a battleship from the 20th century. WW1 or WW2?

A German Submarine from WW1 or WW2 vs a sailboat from 1776........Who wins?...........HELLO!!!

ANCIENT.......Hello!!!!
      My argument is that there are different technological and tactical differences over the vast period of history, each more advanced and capable of destroying a previous time period than the one before it. As such there are many time periods, not just ancient and modern.

And you might be surprised to learn the term Modern Times begins in the 1500s with the discovery of America and/or fall of Constantinople. :D
    • Objection!

The first steamboat Destroyer was made in New York in 1812, 36 years after the American Revolution (and present 1812 war)