Game time favors specific time zones

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game time favors specific time zones

I'm playing from Belgium. my time zone is CET or UTC+1h. This means the clock for every game lags 1h behind real time. In other words, the in-game new day starts at 1AM.
      Let this be a moment when I'm often 8h asleep...

This is a big disadvantage, as:
      - cities morale changes at this point, often freeing troops needed to sit newly conquered cities.
      - New tech becomes available, giving an 8h setback on other timezones
      - Spies do their work:
      - sabotage: need to repair buildings, but you start with an 8h setback
      - corruption: cities' moral drops, and have 8h to revolt before you can act.
      - intelligence: reveal troops, but the info is stale when you wake up.

If I was living in New York, it would have been 18.00h.
      In California it would be 15.00h.
      Shanghai 7 AM

That leaves a lot of prime gaming hours to use these advantages.

A solution could be randomizing the clock at the start of new games. This would defeat this structural advantage for other time zones making the advantage more random.
      Curious to hear if this has already been given any thought and if there are other solutions.
    • If I see the comments then I asume most commenters did not understand the underlying intention / change request.

I totally support that the start of the next day/ingame should vary....at this moment it only favours US and pacfic users...

I dont wanne stay awake just to way for next day jump to start next available research in tree.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • OBTW - Improving (I think) this part of the game doesn't require delaying anything players are allowed to do in the first hours of a game.

Instead, each game's clock could simply start at the same hour the game is spawned (is offerred to players).

I have no idea how many headaches this would (or wouldn't) give the software teams, but on the surface it seems like a simple and useful improvement.
    • KFGauss wrote:

OBTW - Improving (I think) this part of the game doesn't require delaying anything players are allowed to do in the first hours of a game.

Instead, each game's clock could simply start at the same hour the game is spawned (is offerred to players).

I have no idea how many headaches this would (or wouldn't) give the software teams, but on the surface it seems like a simple and useful improvement.

KFGauss wrote:

OBTW - Improving (I think) this part of the game doesn't require delaying anything players are allowed to do in the first hours of a game.

I agree with him!
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

its too obviuos. maybe after croatian language support…

I remember this discussion beeing already hold. search zhe forum. they said something about evil legacy code…
      Yeah, yeah, yeah - Every change made in any existing software system affects existing code - People can debate vague definitions of what is/isn't "legacy code" for as long as they care to, but any change has a cost, so the "legacy code" answer doesn't really get to the heart of the matter (so let's not fall down that rabbit hole).

The question (that Dorado gets to ask and answer) is whether the benefits outweigh the cost.

It sounds like the previous answer was that Dorado thinks the costs would outweigh the benefits and/or that Dorado believes that other important changes are more needed more urgently.
    • Going off of when gameday changes vs real time, I betting it is all the same and when it is because it is after midnight in Malta. No doubt it also allows a better tracking of when problems occur. Standardization.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I mentioned it before on another thread. (Maybe another similar game. I forgot so long ago)

These games should be open 3 or 4 consecutive hours a day and that's it. Make it 4x or 6x. You can't log on in the off hours. No more going to bed at night and waking up with your empire in shambles.

I used to play the 1942 game. I'd wake up at 3am nuke someone and go back to bed. (Because the other guy started his game at 4 or 5am my time.)
    • JimmyMaestro wrote:

I used to play the 1942 game. I'd wake up at 3am nuke someone and go back to bed. (Because the other guy started his game at 4 or 5am my time.)
      my bet. it has nothing to do with skill. you just need a certain disrespect for your health and body.

Only think online game can top with stupidity is login in every couple of minutes to collect resources. I see them - I log iff und delete instantly.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.