Dev Log #23

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• playbabe wrote:

im not in the list? sad.

time move fast, forum elders for me was opulon and our lovely Big G
      You deserve to be considered a Forum Elder more than me, and especially more than KFG
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Trying to establish an equivalent between a suggested "elder conservatism" vs a suggested "youngling progressism" won't work. Let's assume it's about politics : Elders have a very high interest to see the game evolve positively since they are hyper integrated to the community.

Let's review it through data perspective, from most recent to older, and only picking topics from people that are not elders.

- 10X winter vacation : a new member expressed against the idea, a elder said the reasoning expressed against wasn't valid.
      - New rules for AI : new members expressed for and against the idea, a elder gave insight about why the AI behaved like it did. It then devolve into a meme-thread.
      - Resource Market : a new member expresses for the idea, a elder explains that sadly, this has been proposed bazillions of times, is against Dorado business, and won't be done. (which is entirely true. I lobby since 2017 for the return of direct resource exhange, you know.)
      - Production/Queue slotting : new member and elder express for the idea, but a elder reminds that this has been proposed bazillions of times, with dorado answering many times that it was a big "no". Then discussion devolves in a exhange where young players forget that Dorado is a business, belonging to a market-shared group, not a Republic. You can vote as much as you want for the dead to be reanimated, it's just not happening.
      - Research Osmosis : one elder expresses disagreement, 3 others express agreement, but suggest to refine the idea. I give an insight, stating that i have already proposed in the past something similar, which was shot down because opposed to Dorado income.
      - A 10 should not be a special unit : one elder expresses agreement, one elder and three young disagree.
      - Radar contact notifications : several young and elder express agreement, several young and elder express disagreement.
      - Daily Gold Usage limit : An elder suggests the most dumb thing i ever saw, another reminds that while everyone would love that, it's so antithetic to dorado's business it's bound to absolutely never happen.
      - Lancet Usuality : Interestingly, this one, everyone is in agreement so much that it ends in a meme thread. Elite drone swarm sucks.
      - Wild Weasel : As usual, someone likes to propose a aircraft that counters anti-aircraft, or an infantry that counters anti-infantry. Except the guy that plays CoN Because he doesn't has the money to purchase Command or the last Harpoon, everybody is against it. It devolves into a sub debate about the addition of a tanker (which would be an interesting idea, in fact)
      - New content, quantity instead of quality : Someone gives an opinion about the state of the game. Only after does it become a sub debate about resupply
      - Queuing on mobile : People agree, Dealer rants. People agree.
      - Adding a tanker : People agree, then it devolves into a meme thread.
      - Double the numbers of infantry : Shot down by 2 elders.
      - Game times favors specific time zones : everyone agrees.
      - Make aircrafts able to fly over the north pole : immediatly devolves into a meme-thread
      - Jeju Island : Strange claim of someone speaking on behalf of the community. Don't understand if there is agreement or disagreement.
      - Buff Towed artillery : elders arguing.
      - Transport ships should be an unlockable unit : coming probably from a Cow Players. Dorado has actually seen that because the discussion carried outside the forum and is working on its own model. Sadly, after a time, it devolves into meme thread.

I didn't include topics made by elders, because if we are talking about them, i think that in the recent monthes, no debate was as deep, or a proposal as game-changing and interesting, as Playbabe proposal about new melee combat.

But with that in mind, out of a very limited data set of approximately 20 topics :

Being an elder or a young doesn't give any weighted indication of "if they will agree or disagree" on general topics
      Being an elder multiplies significantely the odds an insight or a historical reference will be given ("Already proposed" - style of answer)
      Being a young player multiplies significantely the odds of agreeing with a already proposed/already refused by Dorado idea.
      Being an elder increases the odds of turning the discussion about an original idea into a sub idea.
      Being a young player multiplies the odds of turning a discussion into a meme-thread.

Two significant statistical anomalies :

- Dealer of Death, is quick to answer to 80% of topics, and either trolls, or answers with a terminal "no" style of sentence.
      - The Destroyer 4, turns instantly 2/3 of topics he participates into immediate meme-thread that can't be salvaged afterward.

So, i think that your consideration that elders don't like new idea is weighted by Dealer of Death, which tends, i agree, to just launch a rocket at ideas without taking the time to express why "such idea wouldn't be workable".
      On the other side, you are yourself hardly someone that could feel threatened by that, as you are in the "let's destroy this idea" army, on a statistical basis.

My own take will be simple :

When an idea is ludicrously idiotic, my mental sanity requires i don't take it too seriously, because i consider that it's a matter of mutual respect :

If you had an idea while on the toilet, and that the 15 meters between your bathroom and your desk was the only distance you invested to "think about it", it's likely i will NOT invest one hour of my time to think, investigate, do maths, and such.

On the other side, if a idea is well thought, and that it's demonstrated the guy really put heart and mind into it, i WILL invest time on it even if i disagree, to suggest "how to make it work", or how to make it "more acceptable" to Dorado. Thereafter, i can guarantee i will at the very least forward it to them so that they discuss it. My powers stop there though.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • @Opulon very well put. A novella worth reading.

This forum has devolved into a lot of bullshit from both more experienced players and new alike.

Frankly I cannot be bothered.

@playbabe and others (new and old) who put some effort into posting here, thank you. I found the google docs spreadsheet that PB put together especially useful.

However, If this was an IRL situation I would suggest the folks at the CON merch store design branded diapers to fit over people's heads with an absorbent pad at the mouth for all the shit that comes out of it.

But, since this is the internet and people are using their fingers to project their nonsense (i.e. toxicity, insecurities) may I suggest something along the lines of these finger prophylactic /condoms with CON artwork or logo:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Im On Smoko ().

• Opulon wrote:

- Dealer of Death, is quick to answer to 80% of topics, and either trolls, or answers with a terminal "no" style of sentence.
      A bit of a mischaracterization, due to the fact that a huge chunk of my nay saying is coming from the perspective as against Dorado's explained business model (not that I am necessarily personally against), the remainder being stupid or not well thought out.

Besides, I'm miffed at being treated as the forum dunsel when I believe it is specifically due to my efforts to answer people (whether with truth or deserved snark) that brought this forum a significant amount of increased activity than it had when I joined in 2019. Now granted, my answers aren't as expansive as they once were, but this is due to the increased community function of the forum, and others being able to provide better more in depth answers. I'm not here to be the center of attention, I'm here to further my and others CoN knowledge, and most importantly, make people laugh.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dealer of Death ().

• KFGauss wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

playbabe wrote:

im not in the list? sad.
      You deserve to be considered a Forum Elder more than me, and especially more than KFG
      Correct.
      Expect the list's accuracy to be on a par with the author's other posts' accuracies.
      I re-editted it. But can you stop saying google search 24/7

Google hq gonna burn.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • Opulon wrote:

- The Destroyer 4, turns instantly 2/3 of topics he participates into immediate meme-thread that can't be salvaged afterward.
      TTThhhats fair.

• The Destroyer 4 wrote:

CinnamonStick wrote:

Oh well I’m sorry but I feel an urge to spew ideas and ask semi irrelevant questions that I feel are relevant but no one else does
      I'm not a forum elder so...These are the main ones:

@Teburu
      @Dealer of Death
      @KFGauss
      @Pale Rider
      @kurtvonstein
      @playbabe
      @Opulon
      @Colonel Waffles
      Fixed it.

• The Destroyer 4 wrote:

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

CinnamonStick wrote:

Oh well I’m sorry but I feel an urge to spew ideas and ask semi irrelevant questions that I feel are relevant but no one else does
      I'm not a forum elder so...These are the main ones:
      @Teburu
      @Dealer of Death
      @KFGauss
      @Pale Rider
      @kurtvonstein
      @playbabe
      @Opulon
      @Colonel Waffles
      Fixed it.
      Better of course, but I'm still feeling a bit uncomfortable being physically located on that list (and even if the order has no meaning) above Opulon and Playbabe. They are citizens, I'm a notable tourist.

P.S. Elder? "Colonel Waffles" ... lol, OK, but lol, I'll give him time served
      The KING of CoN News!!!

1. The order doesn't matter in this list.
      2. I'm a little biased to @Colonel Waffles when I first came to the forum, I loved his ideas and replies.
      3. What you mean by "...physically located..."

• The Destroyer 4 wrote:

2. I'm a little biased to @Colonel Waffles when I first came to the forum, I loved his ideas and replies.

1. I did say "and even if the order has no meaning" it still makes me uncomfortable.
      2. OK, OK,
      3. it's ordinal position on the list.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• KFGauss wrote:

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

I re-editted it. But can you stop saying google search 24/7
      Google hq gonna burn.
      Nope

• Dealer of Death wrote:

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

1. I did say "and even if the order has no meaning" it still makes me uncomfortable.2. OK, OK,
      3. it's ordinal position on the list.
      But why it makes you uncomfortable, nobody trying to assassinate you. (maybe)

• I have my real conversations.

When I use the gifs when I'm not trying to type, I use gifs to get what I'm trying to say out.