Still Waiting For Croatian...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Marth wrote:

It’s unfortunate that some people had to turn my suggestion into a nationalist dogfight.
      Even though it was kind of nationalist from the start...
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • Pah! Javanese is the 21st most spoken language with over 68 million speakers, and I don't see it having it's own CoN Language subdivision. Until there is The Javanese Venture, all Croatia talk should be tabled.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Red Snapper wrote:

Bro, the only thing I know about Croatia is that they have a killer football team ;)
      Really? How many Super Bowls have they won? 'Cause I ain't seeing it.

The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Red Snapper wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Red Snapper wrote:

Bro, the only thing I know about Croatia is that they have a killer football team ;)
      Fine, “soccer” for you dummy.
      No need for personal insults.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Red Snapper wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Red Snapper wrote:

Ok, just thought you would be smart enough to know that
    • Red Snapper wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Red Snapper wrote:

Ok, just thought you would be smart enough to know that
      Oh, I knew what you meant, just wanted to point out in an obtuse way that you referring to soccer as football is wrong, no matter how many millions of others are also wrong.
      Soccer, or futbol was codified as a game with it's rules AS "Association Football", NOT "Football" which was codified several years later as a game with it's rules AS "Football" and is what we play in the USA. "Association Football was so named to differentiate it from "Rugby Football"
      The most hilarious thing about the whole situation is, the inventors of soccer (the British)and even the word "soccer" which is taken directly from "Association" in Association Football (personally, I think it should have been shortened to "Ass Football") is most vehemently rejected by it's inventors (again, of both sport and word)

I'm not stupid, nor ignorant, just very, very spiteful. ...but my spite isn't personally directed at you.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• There are several varieties of football in the world. Each of them tends to be called "football" by the people who play or watch it.

In Britain, if you refer to the game as "Association football" you're likely to get a similar reaction to what you would expect if you referred to your car as an "automobile", or to a movie as a "cinematograph", in everyday conversation: ie. you'll get laughed at. If you refer to it as "soccer", you're likely to get the word parroted back to you in a faux-American accent in order to make fun of you. It's something of a national pasttime in the UK to make fun of Americans for their apparent incomprehension of any sport that cannot be paused at least every 3 minutes to allow for a commercial break. Other examples of this are reference to baseball and basketball as "rounders" and "netball" respectively - two sports whose participation barely extends beyond primary school-aged girls. We also frequently refer to North American Football as either "Hand-egg" or "Fake Rugby". However, this mockery is largely due to a deep-seated British resentment of the fact that Americans are generally richer and more successful than us in nearly every sphere of life.

In Ireland, people use the word "soccer" to differentiate the game from Gaelic Football, and I believe the same is true in Australia when referring to Australian Rules Football. In most other countries, both Gaelic football and Aussie-rules are generally referred to as "a public brawl".

You'll notice that FIFA, the world governing body of "football" does not contain an 'S' for "soccer". This is because the acronym stands for "Fraudulent International Finance Association", and has very little to do with sport at all.

In conclusion, Croatia's language probably does deserve some recognition in CoN, because their football team is better than Canada's.
    • WalterChang wrote:

There are several varieties of football in the world. Each of them tends to be called "football" by the people who play or watch it.

In Britain, if you refer to the game as "Association football" you're likely to get a similar reaction to what you would expect if you referred to your car as an "automobile", or to a movie as a "cinematograph", in everyday conversation: ie. you'll get laughed at. If you refer to it as "soccer", you're likely to get the word parroted back to you in a faux-American accent in order to make fun of you. It's something of a national pasttime in the UK to make fun of Americans for their apparent incomprehension of any sport that cannot be paused at least every 3 minutes to allow for a commercial break. Other examples of this are reference to baseball and basketball as "rounders" and "netball" respectively - two sports whose participation barely extends beyond primary school-aged girls. We also frequently refer to North American Football as either "Hand-egg" or "Fake Rugby". However, this mockery is largely due to a deep-seated British resentment of the fact that Americans are generally richer and more successful than us in nearly every sphere of life.

In Ireland, people use the word "soccer" to differentiate the game from Gaelic Football, and I believe the same is true in Australia when referring to Australian Rules Football. In most other countries, both Gaelic football and Aussie-rules are generally referred to as "a public brawl".

You'll notice that FIFA, the world governing body of "football" does not contain an 'S' for "soccer". This is because the acronym stands for "Fraudulent International Finance Association", and has very little to do with sport at all.

In conclusion, Croatia's language probably does deserve some recognition in CoN, because their football team is better than Canada's.
      Your take is spirited, a little edgy, and also wrong. A sport IS what it is codified into rules as being, and simply and undeniably factual, soccer is Association Football and what the ignorant call "American Football", hand-egg or whatever IS Football. Hence the National Football League and not the National American Football League or National Hand-egg league. As I said before, it makes no difference how many millions want to join in on being wrong, Facts are not up for a vote. And the facts are exactly how I presented them.

2 more things, it's hilarious you fail to point out that FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association ) literally stands for "International Federation of Association Football" furthering my point.

Secondly, believe me, this "If you refer to it as "soccer", you're likely to get the word parroted back to you in a faux-American accent in order to make fun of you." literally has us laughing at you for attempting to laugh at us for using a word YOU guys came up with.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• JohnFKennedy wrote:

Oh no, arguing again? Oh well at least we arent arguing about nationalist views but about a sport in which people kick a black-and-white round object.
      I'm not arguing, I'm presenting facts. Facts are not open to influence by oratory constructions, they are as they are. You don't have to like them, but you can't legislate reality and you can't argue against truth.

(well you can try as it is a possible course of action, but it's as effective as herding cats from dolphin steeds.)
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

WalterChang wrote:

There are several varieties of football in the world. Each of them tends to be called "football" by the people who play or watch it.

Your take is spirited, a little edgy, and also wrong. A sport IS what it is codified into rules as being, and simply and undeniably factual, soccer is Association Football and what the ignorant call "American Football", hand-egg or whatever IS Football. Hence the National Football League and not the National American Football League or National Hand-egg league. As I said before, it makes no difference how many millions want to join in on being wrong, Facts are not up for a vote. And the facts are exactly how I presented them.
      2 more things, it's hilarious you fail to point out that FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association ) literally stands for "International Federation of Association Football" furthering my point.

Secondly, believe me, this "If you refer to it as "soccer", you're likely to get the word parroted back to you in a faux-American accent in order to make fun of you." literally has us laughing at you for attempting to laugh at us for using a word YOU guys came up with.
      I’m giving you both a “like” just because of the amount of effort you put into making your posts.