Square root map

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Square root map

CON claims realistic maps and so many small countries are deserted as they sux .
      Or huge land mass like Russia or China has 7 cities same as Poland and Canada even has 5 on 100 maps ,and hard to defend .
      Or a player from Mongolia with 3 million population successfully invading Chinas 1443 millions .
      In order to make all countries attractive but keep realistic about big countries i world propose SQUARE ROOT MAP

We assume all humans are equal in abilities, but we put penalties on governments for more citizens controlled . Example
      For each million citizens a state gets 1 city . For less than 4 gets 2 ,For less 9 gets 3, 16 gets 4, 25 gets 5, 36 gets 6 , 49 gets 7 , 64 gets 8 ,81 gets 9 , 100 -10, ,11=121,12=144,13=169,......China 38 cities .
      Victory is achieved when some nation x10 increase cities controlled
      Examples
      Montenegro less 1 million 1 city , and needs 10 cities for Victory
      Estonia 1,5 millions 2 cities , and needs 20 cities for Victory
      Slovenia 2,1 million 2 cities
      Ctoatia 4,1 million 3 cities
      Bulgaria 6,5 millions 3 cities
      Hungary 9,3 millions 4 cities
      Netherlands 17 million 5 cities
      Australia 26 millions 6 cities
      Canada 38 millions 7 cities
      South Korea 51 million 8 cities
      France 68 millions 9 cities
      Germany 83 millions get 10
      Japan 11,Russia 12,Bangladesh 13,Brasil 15,Indonesia 17,USA 20,India 35, China 38
      In order to balance REAL POWER we can use average per capita World GDP PPP at around 20 000$ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP) and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…s_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
      Taking this into consideration Norway should have 3x population or 5 cities and Bangladesh -x3 population or 8 cities ,just to mention a few .

The post was edited 9 times, last by CandyCzar ().

• Telerik wrote:

CON claims realistic maps
      No they do not, certainly in the sense your post suggests.

The claim is for the map to be geographically correct, which is (mostly) true.

Your "balancing" would actually ruin the game thoroughly, since only the top 3 (at most) countries would have realistic chance to dominate, very contrary to the CON way.

In real life, GDP differences are so huge that approaching that in the game would make it practically unplayable. I.e. the 4th ranked country, even on a square-root transformed base, is only 45% size of the top one (and the 64th is down to 9%). Most players would quit with these underwhelming odds.
      Commander Zozo001 :thumbsup:
      humble player

The post was edited 3 times, last by Zozo001 ().

• Telerik wrote:

CON claims realistic maps and so many small countries are deserted as they sux .
      Or huge land mass like Russia or China has 7 cities same as Poland and Canada even has 5 on 100 maps ,and hard to defend .
      Or a player from Mongolia with 3 million population successfully invading Chinas 1443 millions .
      In order to make all countries attractive but keep realistic about big countries i world propose SQUARE ROOT MAP

We assume all humans are equal in abilities, but we put penalties on governments for more citizens controlled . Example
      For each million citizens a state gets 1 city . For less than 4 gets 2 ,For less 9 gets 3, 16 gets 4, 25 gets 5, 36 gets 6 , 49 gets 7 , 64 gets 8 ,81 gets 9 , 100 -10, ,11=121,12=144,13=169,......China 38 cities .
      Examples
      Japan 11,Russia 12,Bangladesh 13,Brasil 15,Indonesia 17,USA 20,India 35, China 38
      In order to balance REAL POWER we can use average per capita World GDP PPP at around 20 000$ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP) and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_…s_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
      Taking this into consideration Norway should have 3x population or 5 cities and Bangladesh -x3 population or 8 cities ,just to mention a few .
      While I quite like the idea of including a game mode where the map more authentically represents real-world geography and populations, I don't think this suggestion is a good way of doing it.

I'd prefer it if they simply chose starting values for the city-sizes that better represent the relative sizes of those cities in reality. So, for example, Tokyo or Beijing or Delhi or Mexico City would be like size 12 or something, New York and London would be about 7 or 8, and most European Capitals would be about 4.
    • Zozo001 wrote:

Telerik wrote:

Your "balancing" would actually ruin the game thoroughly, since only the top 3 (at most) countries would have realistic chance to dominate, very contrary to the CON way.
      Taking PPP into consideration China will stay at 38, India and USA at 24 . Japan 17 .
      I repeat , my ,,balancing,, will not let kids in NATO think that they can pay to Mongolia few candies so the 3 million mongolians invade and crush China .
      Same time a ,,mongolian,, player will have the chance to win if only gets 20 cities .This is possible if other big guys meanwhile fight each other .
      China will have at the borders 3x more powerful countries if combined . USA will be in a better position as Canada+Mexico+Cuba will only equal USA .
      Realistic,educational and fair .
    • WalterChang wrote:

Telerik wrote:

I'd prefer it if they simply chose starting values for the city-sizes that better represent the relative sizes of those cities in reality. So, for example, Tokyo or Beijing or Delhi or Mexico City would be like size 12 or something, New York and London would be about 7 or 8, and most European Capitals would be about 4.
      Here i agree ,much easier to implement . Small countries max lv1 cities up to lv10 for big countries .
    • WalterChang wrote:

While I quite like the idea of including a game mode where the map more authentically represents real-world geography and populations [...]

I'd prefer it if they simply chose starting values for the city-sizes that better represent the relative sizes of those cities in reality.
      No matter how you try to approach reality, that'd bring such huge unbalancing of countries' power that the game would be practically unplayable, for all but a couple players who happen to pick large ones.

This really is a terribly idea, unfixably so. A principal advantage of CON over real world is that all countries (well, except the two Koreas) have roughly the same chance of succeeding.
      Commander Zozo001 :thumbsup:
      humble player
    • Zozo001 wrote:

No matter how you try to approach reality, that'd bring such huge unbalancing of countries' power that the game would be practically unplayable, for all but a couple players who happen to pick large ones.

This really is a terribly idea, unfixably so. A principal advantage of CON over real world is that all countries (well, except the two Koreas) have roughly the same chance of succeeding.
      It could be a separate map for a separate game mode, not compulsory across all modes.

I disagree that it would be unplayable. I've played as small countries in Call of War "All Countries All In" mode, and it has an certain appeal. It tends to encourage more diplomacy and (sometimes) RPing, which can make it more interesting. It's not to everyone's taste, but I think as an optional mode it could be popular.
    • Telerik wrote:

Examples
      NO.jpg

No, no more "'b-bu-but mah realism" suggestions. If you only want 5 playable countries, go play Axis and Allies.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD