What’s Your Day 5, 10, 15, 20... Order Of Research (OOR)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What’s Your Day 5, 10, 15, 20... Order Of Research (OOR)

As some of you may know, @KFGauss has a thread that discusses players’ “Order of Battle”. However, I believe that research is just as important as production, and it’s very important to plan out your research independent of your production. That’s why I’m opening this new thread to discuss your Order Of Research.

The topic of this thread is sharing your USUAL in-game order of research. I know it may vary game to game (depending on doctrine or other), but try to make a cumulative list of your average researches.

For me, I usually start with mot. inf and Strike fighters. By day 5, I would usually have mech. inf, asf, destroyer, arty, nat. Guard, afv, special forces, and lvl 2 mot inf.

Feel free to share yours as well. You can do an average list, like I did, or your order from one of your current or recent games.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • Here's a contribution, but probably not the most interesting one that will show up. It's maybe not my most typical research, but it's not too far away.
      • 1X Pacific Theater public map/game (noobs and a handful of medium-experience players)
      • I picked the map because I had heard here in the forum that it was interesting.
      • I picked a 5-city landlocked country in the NW corner of the map.
      • Noobs all dropped out, and I found myself (almost) completely surrounded by abandoned countries.
      • I used my one starting Towed Artillery and one ASF to do initial conquests.
      • I built and used EAA and SF for attacking after those initial TA/ASF conquests.
      • I used NG and my starting Mot Inf to capture and hold cities and provinces.
      • My goal was a Solo win.
      • I jumped out to an early VP and Economy lead, and the other active players never even confronted me.
      • Toward the end of my snowballing, I researched and built a few unit types just in case one of the other players tried to throw a Naval or SAM wrench into my plans.
      • The game ended when I had over 1200 VP at the start of Day 18.
      • When the game ended I had almost completed my 19th Research project.
      • If I remember correctly competition for Supplies (between mobilizing Nat Guard and Research) was what limited my research throughout most of the Game.

The Research history is the bottom block of info in this image:
      • I upgraded the NG to make them faster.
      • I researched the UAV because I was tired of guessing target-stack compositions and to make a few sweep over neighbors to confirm that they were 1) not massing troops on my border and 2) still abandoned.
      • The Naval research and annexing a port city were insurance against a surprise attack by Philippines or New Guinea.
      • The Atk Helo research was insurance against possible Philippine SAMs (He created a high-level Army Base).

Pacific_OOB.JPG

The post was edited 6 times, last by KFGauss ().

• Here is a rough outline for a country with multiple naval cities, leads to a pretty balanced economy.

NGs, ASF, EEA/SF, Corvette, Frigates, Naval Officer, Radar, Sams, Rocket Launchers, NASF/NSF, Cruisers.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Aeneas of Troy wrote:

Here is a rough outline for a country with multiple naval cities, leads to a pretty balanced economy.

NGs, ASF, EEA/SF, Corvette, Frigates, Naval Officer, Radar, Sams, Rocket Launchers, NASF/NSF, Cruisers.
      Nice, except for this abomination.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Aeneas of Troy wrote:

Here is a rough outline for a country with multiple naval cities, leads to a pretty balanced economy.

Nice, except for this abomination.
      This is a rough draft. I only get one corvette if there is a nearby opponent who is getting navy very early on, while the tech for frigates is ongoing.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.
    • Day 1 Opocalyptic 4x
      1. Motorized inf
      2. corvettes (if island)
      3. Strike fighter (if huge country)
      Day 5
      1. level 4 motorized inf
      2. level 3 strike fighter
      3. Destroyer
      4. MBT
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • japan samurai wrote:

MBT? For fun i hope?
      Ya I only use MBTS for like homeland protection, or insurgency.

Or If Im doing like a medium sized stack I might put 2-4 in it.

• KFGauss wrote:

Folks - tbis thread is for writing down what you research and when you do it, and is not for critiquing and debating those choices. Please debate elsewhere.
      Thanks for trying to keep the thread from being a dumpster fire :)

japan samurai wrote:

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

Day 1 Opocalyptic 4x
      1. Motorized inf
      2. corvettes (if island)
      3. Strike fighter (if huge country)
      Day 5
      1. level 4 motorized inf
      2. level 3 strike fighter
      3. Destroyer
      4. MBT

MBT? For fun i hope?
      I presume he uses them to defeat the (mostly) inactive countries quickly.
      "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
    • I like to play with variety so I think about technology research in the following terms:

These are in order of priority.

1. I need a starting infantry
      National Guard - usually since you can spam more units, they let you dilute incoming damage between two unit types since you start with moto infantry, and I don't use infantry for fighting once I get other units going
      Motorized Infantry - if I'm eastern doctrine I'll usually go for these because of the bonus eastern has and because they are good with their ranged attack at higher levels

2. I need one offensive unit that can help me clear units from lands quickly without loosing units:
      EAA - currently very OP and the best overall (I think it either needs to be available no earlier than SAMs or I think the HP needs to be nerfed - maybe 18 HP instead of 25 might be ok)
      Gunships - if you start a game early on day 1 as eastern doctrine, you can get gunships out by end of day 2 which is a very early power spike though mobile AA vehicle is a hard counter. They're very good against infantry which is what you have to deal with the first 7-8 days and they have minimal civilian damage which is excellent
      Bombers - these are slower to get going and cause lots of civilian casualties. However, bombers give you a tool to shut another player down by destroying their production buildings if you need to
      Strikers - good option if you are european doctrine. I don't really like them in general personally and won't consider them unless I have the european 20% bonus HP
      ... there's others I'd consider in the infantry tab and armor tab, but I don't like them as much
      ... I don't really like towed artillery because of the population damage when taking cities and the detriment to morale (though I worry about morale more than I should probably)

3. I need air defense:
      ASF - because of EAA this is a must if you want to play a game really competitively since there's no other counter you can get to (except maybe frigates in some circumstances) in the first few days. In general it's really nice to have the mobility and always good to mix with other aircraft stacks
      SAMs - these take a long time to get to going so it's not a great opening option for AA. They don't cost components though and eventually I basically always get them for AA and missile defense
      Frigates - if I am an island nation and I can cover all my cities with the AA envelopes of 3 frigates, I consider this a viable option since the frigates also block enemy troop transports and can be used to siege port cities if needed

3. I need navy defense:
      Corvettes into frigates - getting a corvette or two out quickly is great for defense and shutting another coastal player down from day 2 (can't make ships to fight back if their port is getting sieged)
      Naval Patrol Airplane - since these require a level 3 air base, I don't consider them an opening really, but I always get them in the first 8-15 days and upgrade them to level 3 by day 20 or so - sooner if navy warfare is imminent. Their scouting ability and mobility in supporting you ships is excellent
      ... I see people go for destroyers as a first ship often but as someone who like naval patrol planes, I don't consider that a good strategy (they have BAD AA)

4. I need anti-armor
      EAA - if you start with elite attack airplane, this is already covered (which is dumb)
      Strikers - like EAA, this is covered (but strikers do half the damage of EAA and have less HP so it's not dumb)
      attack helicopters - good damage
      anti-tanks - good damage with bonus in cities. if european doctrine these are even better and they can air assault with later techs which is sweet!
      Spec Ops - I know this isn't really a direct counter with only 4 damage, but Spec Ops are so useful that I'll let them fill this role as long as I'm not seeing tons of armor in neighboring countries/newspaper

For openings, I think that's it...

PS: I'm in 4 games, have the EAA season pass, and have not researched them in any of those 4 games. I'm protesting them in their current stats.
    • Rainmaker2112 wrote:

I like to play with variety so I think about technology research in the following terms:

These are in order of priority.

1. I need a starting infantry
      National Guard - usually since you can spam more units, they let you dilute incoming damage between two unit types since you start with moto infantry, and I don't use infantry for fighting once I get other units going
      Motorized Infantry - if I'm eastern doctrine I'll usually go for these because of the bonus eastern has and because they are good with their ranged attack at higher levels

2. I need one offensive unit that can help me clear units from lands quickly without loosing units:
      EAA - currently very OP and the best overall (I think it either needs to be available no earlier than SAMs or I think the HP needs to be nerfed - maybe 18 HP instead of 25 might be ok)
      Gunships - if you start a game early on day 1 as eastern doctrine, you can get gunships out by end of day 2 which is a very early power spike though mobile AA vehicle is a hard counter. They're very good against infantry which is what you have to deal with the first 7-8 days and they have minimal civilian damage which is excellent
      Bombers - these are slower to get going and cause lots of civilian casualties. However, bombers give you a tool to shut another player down by destroying their production buildings if you need to
      Strikers - good option if you are european doctrine. I don't really like them in general personally and won't consider them unless I have the european 20% bonus HP
      ... there's others I'd consider in the infantry tab and armor tab, but I don't like them as much
      ... I don't really like towed artillery because of the population damage when taking cities and the detriment to morale (though I worry about morale more than I should probably)

3. I need air defense:
      ASF - because of EAA this is a must if you want to play a game really competitively since there's no other counter you can get to (except maybe frigates in some circumstances) in the first few days. In general it's really nice to have the mobility and always good to mix with other aircraft stacks
      SAMs - these take a long time to get to going so it's not a great opening option for AA. They don't cost components though and eventually I basically always get them for AA and missile defense
      Frigates - if I am an island nation and I can cover all my cities with the AA envelopes of 3 frigates, I consider this a viable option since the frigates also block enemy troop transports and can be used to siege port cities if needed

3. I need navy defense:
      Corvettes into frigates - getting a corvette or two out quickly is great for defense and shutting another coastal player down from day 2 (can't make ships to fight back if their port is getting sieged)
      Naval Patrol Airplane - since these require a level 3 air base, I don't consider them an opening really, but I always get them in the first 8-15 days and upgrade them to level 3 by day 20 or so - sooner if navy warfare is imminent. Their scouting ability and mobility in supporting you ships is excellent
      ... I see people go for destroyers as a first ship often but as someone who like naval patrol planes, I don't consider that a good strategy (they have BAD AA)

4. I need anti-armor
      EAA - if you start with elite attack airplane, this is already covered (which is dumb)
      Strikers - like EAA, this is covered (but strikers do half the damage of EAA and have less HP so it's not dumb)
      attack helicopters - good damage
      anti-tanks - good damage with bonus in cities. if european doctrine these are even better and they can air assault with later techs which is sweet!
      Spec Ops - I know this isn't really a direct counter with only 4 damage, but Spec Ops are so useful that I'll let them fill this role as long as I'm not seeing tons of armor in neighboring countries/newspaper

For openings, I think that's it...

PS: I'm in 4 games, have the EAA season pass, and have not researched them in any of those 4 games. I'm protesting them in their current stats.
      For starting inf, use the mot inf you start out with, plus NG. You should be producing arty, air and ASF in the first ~3 days.
    • JohnFKennedy wrote:

Day 20 Stealth Bombers, SF and ASF
      He meansioned stealth again... bye bye Lockheed Martin...

I'm boarding a plane to Bethesda, MD

• The Destroyer 4 wrote:

JohnFKennedy wrote:

Day 20 Stealth Bombers, SF and ASF
      He meansioned stealth again... bye bye Lockheed Martin...
      I'm boarding a plane to Bethesda, MD
      Wdym? What bye bye Lockheed Martin? In any case you forgot Northrop Grumman- B-2 & B-21s. Wait... B-21s... Why dont we put B21 into the game? *proceeds to spam adding tankers and b 21s*
      TANKERS
      #StandWithUkraine

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesteron