New game feature idea - thoughts?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New game feature idea - thoughts?

First, I should start by saying I really enjoy CON. I've been playing for a few years now but I think this is my first post on the forum. If any developers read this, please understand that this is not criticism. I like the game as it is, have security council, and will continue to play for a long time. I doubt this idea is original but when I searched the forums I couldn't really find anything similar. That doesn't mean it isn't out there, I just didn't see it, so it the topic has been beaten into the ground I apologize. I really would like to see what others think and criticism is welcome. One more disclaimer, I don't know much about game development, so if the idea isn't feasible from a technical standpoint, I understand, that sort of thing is just out of my pay grade.

ok so here is the idea. I think it would be fun and add an interesting wrinkle to games, to be able to overthrow other governments (inactive nation states taken over by AI) and install sympathetic regimes or something similar. And I mean without simply conquering the territory and cities with direct military action. It could be accomplished through espionage, and before I go any further I should say that it would likely apply to asymmetrical power balances, so likely not available early on. And again, this would not be against active players. Imagine a WWIII game map where there are two or more competing rival coalitions that have conquered 35-40% of the map (I'm just throwing this number out for illustration). Let's say South America has not been conquered and has 70% AI players. A non-western hemisphere foreign power, that has amassed enough resources could use this feature to gain a foothold on the continent for numerous reasons.

As i mentioned before this would be an extension of espionage. In addition to the options that exist now, there would be a fourth option for spies, something along the lines of start a coup. I am not sure how it should be managed as far as what would trigger a successful take over. Or how much it would cost or what not. I would think those would be balancing issues.

My thought is that once the sympathetic regime is in place it could benefit the controlling state via resources, potentially manpower (like a foreign legion), a sort of "forced" one way right of way agreement or to simply keep it out of the hands of a hostile power or rival. For the sake of realism I don't think it should be a total takeover. As in you gain direct control over the puppet states military. And if a controlling state were to lose power or influence it would likely mean an end to their control of puppet states via independence movements or insurgencies.

Ok, I think I've covered the basics. I apologize for the post being long. As you can tell, the idea is just a rough outline of a possible additional game feature that I think would make some maps more interesting and possibly less predictable. It's a wild card sort of feature. I am interested to hear what other people think. I'll admit it's a complicated idea and may not even be feasible, and while CON is a game, I do find that certain aspects of it are realistic and I see conflicts in the game that reflect historical ones. Placing regimes and manipulating them for the good of the controlling state has been around for a long time. I think it would add a new interesting element to COn and could shake things up. I know for some that is something they would not want and I get that. Maybe it could be available on certain maps or even just one special map. And again I appreciate the devs and what they have done with this game. This is not a criticism at all, I don't think the game is "lacking". I would just like to hear what others thing.

Thank you!

MattEdge
    • I don't necessarily agree with your idea. However, I like you bringing your creative thoughts to the forum regarding the spying in the game.

I have thought that spying could be enhanced in the game. Like a research line or tree where you could specialize or enhance the spying much like the research lines or charts with combat units for example.

Having a proxy state or country via an overthrow as a buffer or cushion ally / puppet government vs a rival or neighbor under your control would be interesting but maybe too much involvement for this type of game?

I could only imagine the rewriting of code needed to implement this, Eeek.
    • I like the idea but im not sure when or if it would be implemented. As smoko said the amount of code needed to be rewritten would be a total pain. Expanding the abilities of espionage and making it more useful would hopefully be something the dev team willl look into more in the coming months. Just gotta cross our fingers lol.

I think your idea is pretty cool but would but be overly complicated to implement atm
    • Thank you all for the replies. I posted the idea and life got busy for me for a bit. I was able to keep up with my games but forgot that I had even posted. I know very little about coding. I would like to learn, but I just have a very limited knowledge at the moment. Despite that, I had a feeling that the idea alone might be enough to make developer's brain sweat haha. I also had a feeling I wasn't the first to come up with the idea.

After going back and reconsidering it with what you all said, I like Smoko's idea of an espionage tech tree. I mean I can tell you that in my games, once I have money to have spies and all, there have been several games where I was able to use them in a very effective way outside of just information gathering. My favorite is targeting air bases and air fields, strategically, especially on an enemy who has over extended himself. I haven't really used special forces much but I might should look into it. But I'd love a espionage tech tree that would bring units tasked with destroying air fields or precision attacks.

Anyways, thank you all for the respectful and open minded discourse, it says good things about the game and everyone involved, given how easy it is for forums to turn into a mental wasteland on the web

Thanks guys and good luck!
    • The thing about interaction in this game is always that one must consider if the new feature can be exploited by multi users.

I have a bad vibration here.

On the other hand I have the feeling some players already use puppet states. exploit resources, do useless attacks. easy takeovers and so on.

first step wouldbe introducing governments…and see how the game evolves from there.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.