Losing with Gold

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Losing with Gold

So, I read a golder say that they spend like $500+ per game on gold can still lose so it's still fun and challenging. My question is that even with 275,000 gold, doesn't that allow you to do several hundred actions already? technically, even if they just used gold to heal units (unkillable), they would never run out. can someone explain if i am missing something?

E.g., Don't they have hundreds of these actions?
      Can't they cause enemy nations to full rebel by sinking morale on anyone who wars with them, if they are spending that amount?
      isn't healing is much cheaper, so his army is undead?
      Buying intel on all troop movements/locations is like see through walls in FPS.

So, this thread is about me not understanding how golding works, and what they mean by the fact that they are fearful of losing and can lose in any game with good players.

my confusion comes from the fact that my wins are F2P, so if I used even a drop of that gold, i'd feel like i wouldn't lose. is there some limit to gold that i don't know that actually makes golders feel weak or that they had a tough war? e.g., they can't spam decrease morale? they can't spam heal? etc.?

The post was edited 5 times, last by Gohda ().

• They think gold is enough to compensate for lack of how-to-play the game.
      Gold doesn’t play the game. people do.

Often you see them doing absolutely bedrock efficiency stuff and very counter able.
      Sometimes you find someone that actually know how and they will be very terrifying.

that’s all
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • i wanted to ask that poster in the other thread (confession of a gold user) but i didn't see a reply button. but he said he knew about unit stacking, balancing army/strategies, etc. but was still fearful in many games even though he spends 1 million to few million per game.

am i not understanding how gold works? that amount means near infinite gold actions, right? he seems like he's a knowledgeable player because he said other players need the knowledge to beat him.
    • Gohda wrote:

i wanted to ask that poster in the other thread (confession of a gold user) but i didn't see a reply button. but he said he knew about unit stacking, balancing army/strategies, etc. but was still fearful in many games even though he spends 1 million to few million per game.

am i not understanding how gold works? that amount means near infinite gold actions, right? he seems like he's a knowledgeable player because he said other players need the knowledge to beat him.
      There many actions you can do with gold with various costs. Some have more value for the gold purchase, while others are more expensive and less effective if not wasteful.

For example, you mentioned lowering morale. That is expensive. Healing a unit with gold is not efficient. For a lot of gold you get a small amount of health. Also, rushing research is very expensive.

More efficient use of gold would be purchasing a resource. In my opinion, rare materials would be a good resource to purchase, the other resource would be supplies (if needed). Why those two? They are needed to research or upgrade units. Or using gold to rush production of a unit or building when they are close to being completed. In the later case, only if a unit has been researched and you are waiting for the building upgrade to build that unit.

As playbabe mentioned, there are players who cannot compensate for their lack of skill by using gold.

For example, I played against someone who used gold who spammed bombers and nuclear cruise missiles. I had frigates, Upgraded AA capable rail guns, Sam Launchers, Mobile AA and fighters. All of his nuclear missiles where shot down, and his bombers were shot down by my fighters and AA capable ground units.

It seems to me that some players enjoy spending money on lots of gold, building lots of units and just send them on kamikaze missions over and over.

If that is what the like to do, more money for Dorado Games.
    • While you are offline, no amount of gold in your account will keep your units from being attacked/killed and your provinces/cities from being captured.

Gold will however (while you are online) let you replace or heal, and research units and buildings will-nilly; and while you are online units can be sent on missions or Intell actions can be taken (obviously).

It's a (nice) mixed bag, but it's not a magic wand or an invulnerability spell.
    • aslong as units are in a fight Ou cant heal them. so thats hiw you beat them. Lots of MRL.

I dont think you need that much gold to dominate a game. Buy yourself an fixed wing officer and 4 SF and you can dominate quite easy in the first 10 days. the resources you generate should give you enough buffer to grow without using more gold.

Then you meet Kurt and His SAMs and thats when you need to decide if you put another dime into the jukebox.

When I attack a Golder my battle cry is: For Germanico!
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Gohda wrote:

So, I read a golder say that they spend like $500+ per game on gold can still lose so it's still fun and challenging. My question is that even with 275,000 gold, doesn't that allow you to do several hundred actions already? technically, even if they just used gold to heal units (unkillable), they would never run out. can someone explain if i am missing something?

E.g., Don't they have hundreds of these actions?
      Can't they cause enemy nations to full rebel by sinking morale on anyone who wars with them, if they are spending that amount?
      isn't healing is much cheaper, so his army is undead?
      Buying intel on all troop movements/locations is like see through walls in FPS.

So, this thread is about me not understanding how golding works, and what they mean by the fact that they are fearful of losing and can lose in any game with good players.

my confusion comes from the fact that my wins are F2P, so if I used even a drop of that gold, i'd feel like i wouldn't lose. is there some limit to gold that i don't know that actually makes golders feel weak or that they had a tough war? e.g., they can't spam decrease morale? they can't spam heal? etc.?
      My last game was heavily influenced by gold so I can answer few of your questions.

- sinking morale into oblivion is completely no problem - I had morale in my homeland cities reduced from 100 or 90% to 0% which not only makes your resource production rubish, it can start uprising... if I didnt have units stationed in capitol and other cities, it could be instant death
      - healing is expensive as hell, but why heal if you can just spam new units ?

What worked for me was turning fight into long distance fight away from his homeland.
      On ground you get solid air defense buble - point defenses, sams, even theatre defense systems and add artillery - mlrs with 100 range are best options. Then you can slowly crawl closer and closer.

Naval engagement - even if golder spams tons of destroyers or frigates, less cruisers, he usually wont invest enough into research to make them wtih 100 range, so... 3-4 stacks of mainly cruisers (3 cruisers, 2 dds for me) and keep them turning like stack 1 attacks and returns, stack 2 attacks,... repeat enough time to clear all navy and cities capable to produce navy...

Unfortunately, due to circumstences of that particular game those things didnt lead to victory but I can imagine if I had option to fight like that for several days... the game would get pretty costly for gold user. I guess thats one situation where you can feel weak or having tough time - when your oponent uses range and has good enough defense that no matter what you throw at it, it will shrug it off.
    • WednesdayAddams wrote:

how can u lose with gold
      Biting off more you can chew.

You'll end up losing and being humiliated and you end up with you're bank account being in the negatives.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • Its with every Poker game. Its always important to know which limit someone has put dor himself.

I once had a golder. he research everything to top had toma of ships and units but the upkeep must have killed him cause he did conquer enough cities so he had to buy resources daily for upkeep. at a certain point he must have lost interest. insaw the moral in his cities drop to the lack of resources. And the empire fell apart.

anither thing is desication. you need quite some time to stick to the game and conquer 1000 useless procinces to get the necessary VP to finish the game. I asume its in the nature of a player that uses gold and speed up things that he does bot have enough interest for those laborious tasks
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

I once had a golder. he research everything to top had toma of ships and units but the upkeep must have killed him cause he did conquer enough cities so he had to buy resources daily for upkeep. at a certain point he must have lost interest. insaw the moral in his cities drop to the lack of resources. And the empire fell apart.
      That's what I was thinking earlier, having a lower influx of money and resources can cripple an empire.

Gold can only do so much, spending most you materials on maintanence on the units can cause bad influence in resources and money.

Its also a moral crippler, as he said above.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • The Destroyer 4 wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

That's what I was thinking earlier, having a lower influx of money and resources can cripple an empire.
      Gold can only do so much, spending most you materials on maintanence on the units can cause bad influence in resources and money.

The Destroyer 4 wrote:

I noticed an unusual influx of golders in october/november, around the time they lowered the price on gold and started doing more gold sales