Question about submarines, and missiles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Question about submarines, and missiles

Hello everybody. I thought submarines were supposed to be, ya know, pretty stealth? I decided to play with some subs this game, and an opponent saw them right away with a frigate I think and just started chasing me around. What gives?

Also, when firing missiles from subs, I see I have options of ballistic or cruise missiles. Looks like ballistic are supposed to have a much farther range, but when I go to fire them it seems its actually a much shorter range? Why are there no torpedos in this game? How am I supposed to fire on a ship if it's simply going to take out the missile with it's anti-air capabilities?
      With submarines it depends on the radar signature on the ship itself... if it has a high signature for submarines it can see it farther... if it has a low it doesn't see it well. (Ps. There is a type of Seasonal Stealth Submarine that mos ships can't see)

It might defer on the submarine type, like the upgrades needed to get longer range missiles (ie. Ballistic Missiles) So you might need to upgrade the Missile Submarine

3. There might be torpedoes in the game, like how else is a submarine going to destroy a cruiser. Like how you can't see the shells getting shot out of the cruisers, destroyers ect. IT's the same for submarines... so in theory there might be torpedoes.

How else is a naval fleet going to protect itself from missiles? What I do is if I'm close to the target... I use a old fighter jet to distract the Naval AA then, I launch the missile from the buffer of 10-min given.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • kendogg wrote:

. . . Why are there no torpedos in this game . . .
      I'm not an expert at Naval combat, so if I write anything wrong here I'll welcome getting corrected.

I'm surprised that Frigates would be able to see (and attack/chase) a submarine. Frigates don't have Sonar. Keep reading.

When a submarine fights another vessel directly (without going through the process of explicitly launching a missile, you can assume that the submarine is using torpedoes, Harpoon missiles, whatever.

Over the distances the game shows us, you don't (need to) see the sub launch an imaginary weapon. That's the same as when the game's planes/helos attack targets - You don't see their weapons in flight.

As you've noticed the game also lets subs explicitly launch "Cruise Missiles" (aka Tomahawks or similar weapons) against various targets.

To do a non-CM or non-BM attack on a ship you just tell the sub to attack the other ship without you (the attacker) going through the missile launching popup dialog.

If the Frigate(s) you saw was stacked with a Corvette or other ship that has Sonar, the non-Frigate ship would be able to use that Sonar to detect and track the sub.

Or if your Sub automatically (non-missile) attacked the Frigate(s) the Frigate would fight back for as long as the combat lasted.

The post was edited 2 times, last by KFGauss ().