New Idea: Ideologies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Idea: Ideologies

Basically, because some of my suggestions were too “complicated”, I am gonna dumb down on my existing suggestions.

Ideologies are the system a nation. Different countries will have different ideaologies at the start depending on their country. It takes 7-14 days in game to change ideologies. Perks are unlockable, debuffs are forever (until changes). Only 3 perks are to be active at a time.

Perks will need money and manpower and time to unlock. Buffs will increase by the 1% every 2 game days if it can.

Unselecting and selecting a perk will refresh the perks (like from 25% to 10% of resource production in “free word” when u unselect then select). And perk progress will disappear when u unselect and select different ideologies.

Examples:
      Democracy
      “Democratic System” +25-50% boost of morale (Unlocked and applied when it’s the ideology)

“People’s Support” -10 to -25% Civilian casualties committed debuff will be significantly decreased.

“Foreign trades” +10-30% increase of money production in cities and -10-30% decrease of resource production in cities.

“Free Word” +10-25% added time to mobilization and +10-25% increase of resource production

“Homeland Soil” +10-25% increase in defense and attack when fighting in homeland

Fascism
      “One Leader” +10-25% increase in resource production in cities

“Man The Guns“ +10-25% increase in attack and 10-25% decrease in resource production

“By Blood Alone” +10-25% increase in march speed and 10-25% decrease in money production

“Need For Expansion” +5% attack -10% resource production

Communism
      “Our Struggles” +25-50% resource production and 10-25% decrease in morale

“Heavy Industry” +25% resource production +25% more likely insurgents will spawn in cities under 35% morale

“Puppeteer” 25-50% decrease in time and cost of annexing cities

“Scorch The Land” Reduces enemy army attack and defense capability by 10% when they in our
      homeland

Neutral
      “In The Depths Of The Ocean” +5% increase in naval/sub attack and defense

“In The Air” +5% increase in air attack and defense

“On The Ground” +5% increase in ground troops atttack and defense

“All Hands On Deck” +5% increase in money and resource production

So that’s it, the devs can change the bonuses and stuff accordingly to their likes. This stuff is not complicated nor complicated the game, feel free to argue with me. This mechanic will make the game feel slightly more realistic.
    • Ps. How about Big business (Capitalism)

You might get heckled for the fascism.

Most of these aren't really military type of ideologies, its more of a economic ideologies.

Which f\defeats the purpose of a 'military' game.

But overall this is very good.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • This smells a lot like some aspects from Hearts of Iron, or even Civ (Civ 5 specifically) hahaha! As I stated on a previous thread for a different idea, Dorado has to keep this game simple enough that the layman can play and have fun, but entertaining enough for us historical RTS players to also enjoy. It’s a very fine line to walk. I love playing games where I can micromanage as much as possible. Yes it’s a very steep learning curve, but so much fun. You can play the same game unlimited times and it will always be different for that reason. I personally like this idea, but I think it would tip the scales and scare off even more new players than the game mechanics already do. Perhaps an even more “dumbed down” version of your idea might pass the bar :D

The other thing to be cognizant of is how important and urgent it is. It sounds like the Dev team has been overhauling and unifying their code on the backend. While that might be “done”, there’s going to be plenty left to do (bug hunting, hot fixes, patches, remaining conversions to unified code that wasn’t a foundational priority, etc.)

Important & Urgent: Do First
      Important & Not Urgent: Schedule it
      Not Important & Urgent: Delegate it
      Not Important & Not Urgent: Trash it

You’ve got some great ideas though, and ones that will make the “replayability” of this game far greater. Keep the ideas coming! Perhaps you can start up a Google Doc and list out your ideas, then allow others to make comments/suggestions on said document. By the time Dorado is ready, we’ll have it finely tuned :thumbsup:
      The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • Interesting indeed. All good comments above mine, but I'll add a few thoughts.

1. Although it's a military game, it certainly has economics and the morale system in addition to the military aspect in choosing technologies, building, and commanding forces. So, I would say ideology plays a role in economics, foreign policy, and warfare and is an interesting dimension.

2. I think the resource production bonuses are mega OP - especially "Heavy Industry".

3. I think the homeland bonuses will feel irrelevant most of the time. I haven't played alliance games so this might be different there. However, in public games... Other than the first 4 days of a game, I've had zero meaningful fights on my homeland. My fights against AIs and weak players are so 1-sided the ideology bonus won't matter and my fights against strong players are basically always decided outside their homeland (I'm not counting destruction of homeland cities from navy or bombers as "fights on my homeland" since that's not a fight between units). As a possible alternative, maybe the bonuses you proposed for the "homeland" cities and provinces could apply to all lands you've conquered that are above 35% morale. Assuming you rebalanced for this wider area of effect, this might keep the bonuses more relevant and give people reason to choose them.

4. Lastly, it might be interesting to make ideology develop outside the players (direct) control. Countries could start with fixed ideology or it could be random and ideology would change over the course of the game. It could be random or it could take shape based on the ideology of the countries that are most popular to your nation (I'm referring to the popularity you have with a nation that you can check in their nation profile in-game). Ironically, I think this would likely mean the whole world would end with a dominant ideology by the end of the game

Just my thoughts
    • Rainmaker2112 wrote:

Interesting indeed. All good comments above mine, but I'll add a few thoughts.

1. Although it's a military game, it certainly has economics and the morale system in addition to the military aspect in choosing technologies, building, and commanding forces. So, I would say ideology plays a role in economics, foreign policy, and warfare and is an interesting dimension.

2. I think the resource production bonuses are mega OP - especially "Heavy Industry".

3. I think the homeland bonuses will feel irrelevant most of the time. I haven't played alliance games so this might be different there. However, in public games... Other than the first 4 days of a game, I've had zero meaningful fights on my homeland. My fights against AIs and weak players are so 1-sided the ideology bonus won't matter and my fights against strong players are basically always decided outside their homeland (I'm not counting destruction of homeland cities from navy or bombers as "fights on my homeland" since that's not a fight between units). As a possible alternative, maybe the bonuses you proposed for the "homeland" cities and provinces could apply to all lands you've conquered that are above 35% morale. Assuming you rebalanced for this wider area of effect, this might keep the bonuses more relevant and give people reason to choose them.

4. Lastly, it might be interesting to make ideology develop outside the players (direct) control. Countries could start with fixed ideology or it could be random and ideology would change over the course of the game. It could be random or it could take shape based on the ideology of the countries that are most popular to your nation (I'm referring to the popularity you have with a nation that you can check in their nation profile in-game). Ironically, I think this would likely mean the whole world would end with a dominant ideology by the end of the game

Just my thoughts
      Ooooo I like your thoughts on this, especially point 4! Have you played Hearts of Iron, by chance? If so, they have something similar that I'd be interested in implementing into this game on a more basic, less micro-management level. Or even how Civ 5 has religions that give bonuses and they are pretty darn basic. Something like that but with ideologies instead of religions. Then there could be matches where there are, perhaps, 3-4 ideologies and you are on the same team depending on your ideology. Whichever ideology overtakes the world wins the game! I'm picturing Democracy vs Communism or something along those lines. Or we can make it more different than that so as not to touch on political aspects. Just spit-ballin' here. I like your thoughts on this!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cpt_Merica: Fixing typo's that I make far too often :) ().

• Rainmaker2112 wrote:

Just my thoughts
      I like point 3 and 4, however fixed ideologies might make people less likely to play a certain nation that might affect gameplay + popularity. Maybe some game modes? Like cold war.
    • Minute wrote:

Rainmaker2112 wrote:

Just my thoughts
      I like point 3 and 4, however fixed ideologies might make people less likely to play a certain nation that might affect gameplay + popularity. Maybe some game modes? Like cold war.
      Or perhaps don’t fix ideologies and let the player choose from the start and develop the ideology out. Perhaps it starts out with a foundational ideology, then branches out into 3 sub-ideologies, then perhaps branches out again into 3 sub-sub-ideologies. In the end you end up with 1 foundational ideology and 2 sub-ideologies that can only be found below that foundational ideology. I hope that makes sense
    • Minute wrote:

Rainmaker2112 wrote:

Just my thoughts
      Yeah, I see your point. Given that it's a game, letting players choose ideology might be more fun and give more options when comboing with different nations.

However, as a counter point, you don't get to pick research doctrine with countries currently. They are fixed to the country so...
    • Church of Road
      “We build Road”

Bodied Road
      reduce cost of road from 250 in supply, comp, fuel -> 100 in supply, comp, fuel + 250 man power

Killdozer
      All ground units will nolonger suffer from -33% speed debuff in hostile land.

Towed Expert
      Stack will used speed of second slowest unit in stack if slowest speed’s unit is not more then half of the stack.

All road lead to the chruch
      Replace HQ with church, If road and city is connected in chain to the church, will give +50% extra speed boost.
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD