Research focus/fork for units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Research focus/fork for units

And the moment the type of upgrade for a unit is static.
      First lvl up more speed
      second lvl up more airdefense. and so on

It would be great if I could pick different forks of specialization for the given number of available upgrades.

Lets say i wanne make my mot infantry all air defense. Then I just upgrade 7 times Airdefense. Ok they will
      be slow as a turtle but they will kick the hell out of every aircraft.

this way I can balance my troops every game in a new way and get some change.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Kurt you're so 'out the box'...

I like the idea.

I would either like my motorized inf to be a divide and conquer... have a very fast and can clear provinces with a 6-10 minutes.
      Or a mortar inf that has a 10 damage hp, within a ranged attack.

Or a motorized inf that's a scout has a detection range of 50 to 100.
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • I suggested something similar to this years ago, and everyone said it was a crap idea! No fair.

What I'd like to see is a kind of hybrid:
      So you'd get 3 tiers of each unit, the same as you do now. But within each tier you'd get a choice of upgrades - HP boost, speed boost, att/def boost, terrain bonuses, range boost, etc.
      The small incremental upgrades would be a lot cheaper than the full tier-to-tier upgrade in themselves, but would add up to more overall if you did all of them.
      A fully upgraded Tier 1 unit would be better than a stock Tier 2 unit, but the T2 unit would have higher potential with its own upgrades (some could maybe be carried over?).
      The other bit of my old suggestion (which was the unpopular bit, now I come to think of it!) was that I'd rather have it so that you CANNOT upgrade a Tier 1 unit magically into a Tier 2 unit (ie. you can't transform an F-5 into an F-16). You'd have to build new units for Tier 2 - but you'd maintain the option of being able to build more Tier 1 units (and continue upgrading them) even after unlocking Tier 2 through research. Maybe they could introduce an arms-trading system, so you could get rid of your older units, and/or the ability to decommission them for a partial reclamation of the mobilization costs.
    • WalterChang wrote:

I suggested something similar to this years ago, and everyone said it was a crap idea! No fair.

What I'd like to see is a kind of hybrid:
      So you'd get 3 tiers of each unit, the same as you do now. But within each tier you'd get a choice of upgrades - HP boost, speed boost, att/def boost, terrain bonuses, range boost, etc.
      The small incremental upgrades would be a lot cheaper than the full tier-to-tier upgrade in themselves, but would add up to more overall if you did all of them.
      A fully upgraded Tier 1 unit would be better than a stock Tier 2 unit, but the T2 unit would have higher potential with its own upgrades (some could maybe be carried over?).
      The other bit of my old suggestion (which was the unpopular bit, now I come to think of it!) was that I'd rather have it so that you CANNOT upgrade a Tier 1 unit magically into a Tier 2 unit (ie. you can't transform an F-5 into an F-16). You'd have to build new units for Tier 2 - but you'd maintain the option of being able to build more Tier 1 units (and continue upgrading them) even after unlocking Tier 2 through research. Maybe they could introduce an arms-trading system, so you could get rid of your older units, and/or the ability to decommission them for a partial reclamation of the mobilization costs.
      BOO! Build new units to replace old. +1 for realism -1,000,000 in game fun.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

We could bring those old units back into the hangar and put them down like a domestic puppy.

Like we could decomision the parts, and we could trade them to another country with our doctrine through the trade market.
      Or you can use the old parts to speed up research.

• The Destroyer 4 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

We could bring those old units back into the hangar and put them down like a domestic puppy.
      Like we could decomision the parts, and we could trade them to another country with our doctrine through the trade market.
      Or you can use the old parts to speed up research.

I'm not interested in playing ACoN (Animal Control of Nations), nor ADoN (Arms Dealer of Nations) nor GRoN (Green Recycler of Nations) Please no suggestions leading to more tedium.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD

• You know how many old units become displaced?! ACoN or ADoN will make a good pact to fix this situation.

• TheShinwacker wrote:

We need a meme face off between Dod and TD4. Sorry D4 but I think that Dod would win lol.
      He makes his own, I get mine usually from giphy. Mostly political.

• If this game were meant to be more realistic, then sure, it's not a bad path to go down. However, games like this require things to be a bit more simplified for the average user. There are many new players I've taken under my wing throughout the community and many of them have a difficult time already with all the information they have to memorize and keep track of. A number of new players have expressed what amounted to a steep learning curve for Conflict of Nations (Meh. I don't think this is the case, but I've gone my whole life playing RTS games).

The real question is: Who is this game meant for?

Keeping in mind what Dorado's answer is likely to be (Conflict of Nations is meant for a healthy mixture of classic/uncomplicated RTS players as well as those players who have played micro-management RTS games like Hearts of Iron), there will be no honest investment into your idea, and I mean no offense by that. I'm not saying your idea is bad; on the contrary. I, personally, like it! Having variations similar to the real military (Thinking of all the F35, F16, etc. variants among countless others) appeals to some people, but just not enough. It will make the game more niche than Dorado wants it to be.
      The beatings will continue until morale improves!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cpt_Merica ().