Terrain Bonuses for Naval Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Terrain Bonuses for Naval Units

So I suggest that naval units should get buffs/debuffs in certain areas of water.

There could be calm water, choppy water, rocks in the water, and wind propulsion.

These would not be random, but would be based off of real life weather, average weather conditions in the different oceans and waterways.

5 watery terrains: Calm, Choppy, Stream, Friendly Wind, Unfriendly Wind

Rivers would be Stream

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats could be something like this:

Speed stats

Naval UnitCalmChoppyStreamFriendly WindUnfriendly Wind
      Corvette+25-25/+50-25
      Frigate/-25-25+25-50
      Destroyer+30-10/+20-40
      Cruiser+10-50-25+25/
      Carrier+25-75-50/-75

And damage stats

Corvette+50-25+25/-25
      Frigate+10-50/+10-50
      Destroyer+40-20+10+30-20
      Cruiser/-25+25+25-50
      Carrier+25-50-10/-75

Sorry for table messyness, I made them myself.

-

So what do you guys think?
      Any suggestions? Criticism?
    • Not saying I agree or disagree.
      What about actual Natural Disasters?

Hurricanes
      Typhoons
      Waterspouts
      Whirlpool
      Tectonic Plate shifts (Sea-quakes)
      Tsunamis (Which could come from sea-quakes)
      "YES WE CAN!" - Barack Obama
      Mr. Gorbechev, tear down this wall! - Ronald Reagan
      We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do other things. John F. Kennedy
      The only thing we need to fear is fear itself. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Do not let anyone tell you who you are. - Kamala Harris
    • Tifo_14 wrote:

much of the North Atlantic area would be “choppy”.
      And would have 'unfriendly wind" that would cause choppy.

Snapper you cant have choppy without Unfriendly winds.

• Will any of these weather scenarios, mess up anti air on the frigate?

• Red Snapper wrote:

So I suggest that naval units should get buffs/debuffs in certain areas of water.

There could be calm water, choppy water, rocks in the water, and wind propulsion.

These would not be random, but would be based off of real life weather, average weather conditions in the different oceans and waterways.

5 watery terrains: Calm, Choppy, Stream, Friendly Wind, Unfriendly Wind

Rivers would be Stream

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats could be something like this:

Speed stats

Corvette+25-25/+50-25
      Frigate/-25-25+25-50
      Destroyer+30-10/+20-40
      Cruiser+10-50-25+25/
      Carrier+25-75-50/-75

And damage stats

Corvette+50-25+25/-25
      Frigate+10-50/+10-50
      Destroyer+40-20+10+30-20
      Cruiser/-25+25+25-50
      Carrier+25-50-10/-75

Sorry for table messyness, I made them myself.

-

NO FRELLING WAY!

NET changes:
      Speed
      Corvette +25
      Frigate -75
      Destroyer 0
      Cruiser -40
      Carrier -175 LOL!

Damage
      Corvette +25
      Frigate -80
      Destroyer +40
      Cruiser -25
      Carrier -110 LOL!

Not only is this a hot mess from a balancing standpoint, but it disgustingly favors the floating pile of hyena dung: the corvette.

Additionally, it seems your logic in assigning these values is completely antithetical to reality. Let me explain: 1st, speed - the larger the ship, the less likely it is to be affected by rough weather. Damage - The larger the ship, (on average) the greater the likelihood of more and more advanced computers and targeting mechanisms, meaning they would be far less impacted by rough weather than smaller ships.

I think you should redo this, keeping in mind the garbage scow that is the corvette should be blown around like a leaf, and the massive inertia of the Carrier not affected at all.

Sorry Snapper, I like you, and tho I also hate "MOAR REALISM" suggestions, I particularly hate this one as presented because it is the exact opposite of reality.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Red Snapper wrote:

I like the idea water would be more divided but buffs should be pretty much same for all the ships not to mention submarines.
      Windy condition affect everything from balistic of shells, through detection to launching aircraft. Hard to quantify which kind of ship suffers more.

Calm waters should be with no buff as its pretty much standart working condition for ships.
    • Zefyros22 wrote:

Red Snapper wrote:

I like the idea water would be more divided but buffs should be pretty much same for all the ships not to mention submarines.Windy condition affect everything from balistic of shells, through detection to launching aircraft. Hard to quantify which kind of ship suffers more.

Calm waters should be with no buff as its pretty much standart working condition for ships.
      Actually THAT is completely WRONG. It is an unadulterated fact that larger ships are less affected by weather. Fact, so not open to debate.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Zefyros22 wrote:

Red Snapper wrote:

I like the idea water would be more divided but buffs should be pretty much same for all the ships not to mention submarines.Windy condition affect everything from balistic of shells, through detection to launching aircraft. Hard to quantify which kind of ship suffers more.
      Actually THAT is completely WRONG. It is an unadulterated fact that larger ships are less affected by weather. Fact, so not open to debate.
      And - OBTW - Why on Earth would anyone put submarines and surface ships into the same category for this topic?

Subs ignore a lot of weather.
    • KFGauss wrote:

And - OBTW - Why on Earth would anyone put submarines and surface ships into the same category for this topic?

Well maybe some low tides, some tsunami's, erosion.

Tectonic plates underwater movement.

• kurtvonstein wrote:

its a nice idea but honestly i have dificulties distinguish the 2 different existing water types on mobile. Adding some more would not benefit me.
      Serves you right for playing on mobile.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

ctually THAT is completely WRONG. It is an unadulterated fact that larger ships are less affected by weather. Fact, so not open to debate.
      Only facts that are not open to debate are facts that cant handle close scrutiny or axioms.

Ofcourse, I am not talking about comfort of crew during rough seas or bad weather. I am talking about operational effectiveness of ship being affected by weather and how hard it would be to estimate as precise data are pretty much guarded secred of respective navys as no officer in his right mind will say loud ,,our AA system radars vision is 50% worse in bad weather or 20% worse if wind blows against ships course".

In rough sea even if big cruiser can handle waves without danger to integrity of a vessel I dont think crew will attempt to launch missiles or use onboard guns unless in state of emergency. In very strong wind / storm / nasty weather aircraft carrier wont launch strike fighters to avoid accidents that could cost precious planes and pilots. They will just wait till weather gets better.

Back to my original point, it would be hard to turn this into reasonable numbers. Got any idea whats difference between ship being hit from Ticonderogas 127mm gun during calm weather and lets say friendly wind (friendly to cruiser) ??? Is the hole bigger or smaller or is AP pen increased / decreased ? And by how much ? What ships AA system suffers more from weather ? Frigate ? Cruiser ? What detection suffers more ? Frigate ? Destroyer ? ...

Way too many unknowns to incorporate so even if we say in ,,choppy" the frigate gets 10% damage reduction, cruiser could get 15% but not 50 and 25. Or damage reduction could be calculated for stack in same way as overstacking works.

Not to mention I dont see logic calm conditions would benefit corvettes and to this extent. Isnt calm conditions like factory setting for ship so shouldnt all of them work in peak condition ???

KFGauss wrote:

A lot. Not all. So they should be considered in at least some weather conditions. Not to mention troop transports.

“Do Submarines get affected by waves and weather conditions?” Yes they do depending on their depth. If we are at 200 feet, we can feel the weather and if it is moderate or worse you rock a little bit. At 400 feet, you can feel major storms passing over. At periscope depth a storm throws you around similar to the films you see of surface ships getting tossed around. We have a round hull to help us move through the water easier (teardrop) and that adds to your rolls. Anything that is not tied down can become unintended crush hazards."
      Source : quora.com/Are-submarines-affected-by-weather

The post was edited 3 times, last by Zefyros22 ().

• Zefyros22 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

ctually THAT is completely WRONG. It is an unadulterated fact that larger ships are less affected by weather. Fact, so not open to debate.
      Only facts that are not open to debate are facts that cant handle close scrutiny.
      Ofcourse, I am not talking about comfort of crew during rough seas or bad weather. I am talking about operational effectiveness of ship being affected by weather and how hard it would be to estimate as precise data are pretty much guarded secred of respective navys as no officer in his right mind will say loud ,,our AA system radars vision is 50% worse in bad weather or 20% worse if wind blows against ships course".

In rough sea even if big cruiser can handle waves without danger to integrity of a vessel I dont think crew will attempt to launch missiles or use onboard guns unless in state of emergency. In very strong wind / storm / nasty weather aircraft carrier wont launch strike fighters to avoid accidents that could cost precious planes and pilots. They will just wait till weather gets better.

Back to my original point, it would be hard to turn this into reasonable numbers. Got any idea whats difference between ship being hit from Ticonderogas 127mm gun during calm weather and lets say friendly wind (friendly to cruiser) ??? Is the hole bigger or smaller or is AP pen increased / decreased ? And by how much ?

KFGauss wrote:

A lot. Not all. So they should be considered in at least some weather conditions. Not to mention troop transports.
      “Do Submarines get affected by waves and weather conditions?” Yes they do depending on their depth. If we are at 200 feet, we can feel the weather and if it is moderate or worse you rock a little bit. At 400 feet, you can feel major storms passing over. At periscope depth a storm throws you around similar to the films you see of surface ships getting tossed around. We have a round hull to help us move through the water easier (teardrop) and that adds to your rolls. Anything that is not tied down can become unintended crush hazards."
      Source : quora.com/Are-submarines-affected-by-weather
      emergencies like war...
      TANKERS
      #StandWithUkraine

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesteron