Announcement NOTICE: On Planes and New Behaviour

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• NOTICE: On Planes and New Behaviour

In our latest update, we introduced some behavioural changes to aircraft as part of some more robust changes to our code. For years, when an airbase is destroyed, planes stationed at that base would turn into transport trucks, which would allow players to move them to other airports via land travelling. This has now changed and we have two different kinds of behaviours depending on where the planes are when their base is destroyed:

1. If the planes are in the airport at the time, they will fly into the air and automatically relocate to the closest airport, only if there is an airport in range. If there is no airport in range, then they are destroyed.

2. If the planes are in the air, they will relocate to the closest airport that is within their range and if they have enough fuel remaining to make the trip. Ferry range will be considered if they are patrolling, but attack range will be considered if they were attacking at the time. Otherwise, the planes will crash out of the air.

An important part of this is that the calculated range will be different for each different unit type in your stack. So let’s take an example. You have a stack of 3 strike fighters and 4 attack helicopters. When one of the above conditions happens, the stack will split into two: one stack of fighters and one stack of helicopters. The helicopter stack will look for the closest airport in range and the fighter stack will do the same. Therefore, if an airport is outside the range of one of the stacks, that stack will crash but the other stack will make it to the airport.

Remember that all this also depends on whether the planes have enough fuel left to make the trip if they are already in the air.
    • Maxim | CM wrote:

In our latest update, we introduced some behavioural changes to aircraft as part of some more robust changes to our code. For years, when an airbase is destroyed, planes stationed at that base would turn into transport trucks, which would allow players to move them to other airports via land travelling. This has now changed and we have two different kinds of behaviours depending on where the planes are when their base is destroyed:

1. If the planes are in the airport at the time, they will fly into the air and automatically relocate to the closest airport, only if there is an airport in range. If there is no airport in range, then they are destroyed.

2. If the planes are in the air, they will relocate to the closest airport that is within their range and if they have enough fuel remaining to make the trip. Ferry range will be considered if they are patrolling, but attack range will be considered if they were attacking at the time. Otherwise, the planes will crash out of the air.

An important part of this is that the calculated range will be different for each different unit type in your stack. So let’s take an example. You have a stack of 3 strike fighters and 4 attack helicopters. When one of the above conditions happens, the stack will split into two: one stack of fighters and one stack of helicopters. The helicopter stack will look for the closest airport in range and the fighter stack will do the same. Therefore, if an airport is outside the range of one of the stacks, that stack will crash but the other stack will make it to the airport.

Remember that all this also depends on whether the planes have enough fuel left to make the trip if they are already in the air.
      And A.) what happens if someone uses gold to destroy an airport with planes?
      B.) You say "airports" are airfields also included in determinations?
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Maxim | CM wrote:

And A.) what happens if someone uses gold to destroy an airport with planes?B.) You say "airports" are airfields also included in determinations?
      A) Airplanes relocate to closest airport under same rules. So separate stacks accounting for different ranges

B) Airports and airfields are under the same rules :)
    • Maxim | CM wrote:

Thank you for this official response
    • Maxim | CM wrote:

Official translation for the new mechanics: Hey, you know what, we found a new easy way to make gold so now, by the modest sum of $5000 gold, you can destroy all the airplanes belonging to the poor bastard who didn't have the audacity of building an airfield on every province of his country. And thats not all, that poor bastard who lost all his planes now will have to use gold to get them back, that is if he really wants to catch up to the game. $DOUBLE PROFIT$

So bear with us for the next update: Introducing... pay 10 grand in gold and you will spawn a magical missil that would destroy any fleet you target on. Or why the trouble? Just pay 100 grand and you will win the game inmediatly!!!! All this, by the new standards of "realism" and client "satisfaction"; we keep the chin chin going and your wallet will be less heavier $WIN WIN$
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

You killed a valid strategy to punished refueling aircraft.
      I agree with this statement. Let's see. My enemy attacked my units with 3 stacks (total 15 fighters) in one time.
      What I do: I check how much time they need to land to refuel and launch ballistic missiles to catch them on the airfield. This is a big amount of hp so I launch 3, 4 or 5 missiles, depend on theirs level and types of warheads. The first (much rarely the second) missile destroys an airfield and others destroy only transports with planes (they have infantry type of armor, so I can use chemical wh here, for example).
      BUT
      Now after the first missile all planes will fly away. What the fuck is going on?! I catch them on the airfield and they run away without airfield?! Are you serious?!!! Where you see that planes can fly without airfield and without fuel??!
      Moreover, it is making useless the previous update about patrol time, because now it is extremely harder to catch planes then it was before the both updates.

My applause, you made game where without gold enemy's planes will survive in 90% situations and with gold none of your planes will survive. My congratulations, it is time to delete your app. Let me know when you (developers) remove this update.
      Right know it is look like a piece of sh*t
      Что вы остолбенели?! Живо поднять гарнизон! Ну!
    • jack21c wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

You killed a valid strategy to punished refueling aircraft.
      I agree with this statement. Let's see. My enemy attacked my units with 3 stacks (total 15 fighters) in one time.What I do: I check how much time they need to land to refuel and launch ballistic missiles to catch them on the airfield. This is a big amount of hp so I launch 3, 4 or 5 missiles, depend on theirs level and types of warheads. The first (much rarely the second) missile destroys an airfield and others destroy only transports with planes (they have infantry type of armor, so I can use chemical wh here, for example).
      BUT
      Now after the first missile all planes will fly away. What the fuck is going on?! I catch them on the airfield and they run away without airfield?! Are you serious?!!! Where you see that planes can fly without airfield and without fuel??!
      Moreover, it is making useless the previous update about patrol time, because now it is extremely harder to catch planes then it was before the both updates.

My applause, you made game where without gold enemy's planes will survive in 90% situations and with gold none of your planes will survive. My congratulations, it is time to delete your app. Let me know when you (developers) remove this update.
      Right know it is look like a piece of sh*t
      Amen to that!!!
    • Very odd change that closes several tactical doors, makes the game a bit poorer, and outright deletes several immersive subtleties about airplay, as well as giving gold users a very specific "kill button" for opponent air forces.

I suppose the reasons behind those changes are more mechanical than tied to gameplay, because otherwise, it's strange (and doesn't even play into the interesting things introduced by ferry ranges and refueling).

I usually am very supportive of changes, but not impressed on this one, sorry.

Specifically, i'm curious about what was inherently wrong with the design of grounded planes turning into trucks, forcing a player to remobilise them.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • After playing some time with the new system, I have to say that I’m not a fan of grounded/refueling aircraft escaping a well-coordinated attack. I’m not sure where this idea came from…it kinda took the fun and tactics out of aerial combat.

Additionally, if the airfield that your aircraft are based is destroyed, your aircraft (if diversified) will automatically break the stack, even if another airfield is in range (as it appears to me, I’ve lately been building multiple airfields in close proximity just in case). This is rather irritating, especially if you mix your stacks as much as me, forcing you to rebase your aircraft to get them together again. While I can somewhat understand this process if out of range of an airfield, it doesn’t make sense if there is another airfield in range.
      I am Aeneas, duty-bound and known above high air of heaven by my fame, carrying with me in my ships our gods of hearth and home, saved from the foe. I look for Italy to be my fatherland, and my descent is from all-highest Jove.