Announcement NOTICE: On Planes and New Behaviour

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Maybe would be a good idea to cut off the elite frigate all together, and relaunch it once its actually finished and does not provoke any issue with the old mechanics of air units. I wouldnt mind it, havent see that "elite" unit in any game since it was launched any way, but if someone does and bought SC to get it, he/she should get a refund. That should be the fair thing to happen I think
    • Ok from what I have found about these planes is it makes golders way more powerful and aircraft useless.

For example my allies had about 10 planes each with multiple airbase in the area just in case if an airbase taken, and our enemies demolished all the air fields and air bases in the entire area resulting all the planes crashing and getting destroyed.

This was kinda frustrating to see for a for myself as a little well timed gold use destroys everything.
    • are grounded planes still taking soft target damage, or are they being dealt fixed wing damage? I used 5 level 5 ASF to bomb an airfield and whacked out 3 grounded fighters, maybe they had low hp but this seems weird
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Maxim | CM wrote:

We're taking a lot of these comments and feedback into consideration and we'll be addressing these in upcoming updates
      OK, explain this one now. I thought there were no more transport trucks for aircraft? I destroy 1 airbase, helos relocate to another, after they land, I destroy the second one, but instead of relocating to the airfield (yellow circle) they turn into a transport truck????? You know, the thing that doesn't happen anymore. And I was told airfields count for aircraft to relocate to same as airbases. What gives?

game6734562.jpg
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I actually find this new update with airplanes acceptable. For one, if you park your airplanes to heal them ..you don't need to worry much about missile or enemy strikers to kill them as they will escape to another airplanes. It is realistic too in a way as if there is danger. it is natural for airplanes to take off fast...Anoter thing is.....many gamers would just spam strikers and count on catching enemy while refueling....so now air superiorty fighters make more sense and I started using them more often which in a way benefits the game and balances it... and if you really want to destroy enemy while on runway....hey , there is still chemical warhead which will blast airplanes away without destroing airfields...
      All I can say....Nice change and thumbs up for developers!
    • playbabe wrote:

lol, there is 0 of this in beta test
      Well I watched it happening. You can see evidence of it happening, even tho I forgot to mention the other airfield (white box) they should have evacuated to, instead of becoming trucks, which they never do, not again from this point forward, we swear.

game6734562b.jpg
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Maxim | CM wrote:

We're taking a lot of these comments and feedback into consideration and we'll be addressing these in upcoming updates
      OK, explain this one now. I thought there were no more transport trucks for aircraft? I destroy 1 airbase, helos relocate to another, after they land, I destroy the second one, but instead of relocating to the airfield (yellow circle) they turn into a transport truck????? You know, the thing that doesn't happen anymore. And I was told airfields count for aircraft to relocate to same as airbases. What gives?
      game6734562.jpg
      Well that is why bug reports exist. I'm checking with the team to see why that happened. Hopefully, we'll be able to see what the issue is there. This is the first time I've seen something like this since after the update itself.
    • Sgniappo wrote:

i had exactly the same going on - actually in my case they turned into trucks without even me destroying the airport (thread here: Patch Notes 2302.28).

Bugs, of bugs.
      For stuff like this, using the bug report in the game makes it easier for us to deal with this kind of stuff and investigate properly. Please use that in the future so that we can help out with these issues asap rather than posting here and not getting a response in due time.
    • Maxim | CM wrote:

Saucon21 wrote:

Let's be honest once this season ends seeing the elite frigate will be a rare sight in regular games

So, reading through this thread sparked a number of reflections for me...

1. I agree with everyone who is saying the airplane changes are a significant net negative.

2. I will definitely be using the elite frigate in future games - I wouldn't mind some rework time to resolve the airplane issues, but the unit adds a lot of utility IMO without being broken due to it's poor combat ability. With all the flak the Elite Frigate is getting in this thread, I want to show it some love.

To expand on these two things...

Regarding the change being a net negative, I won't re-iterate the points others have made. I'll just add a few thoughts I haven't seen yet.
      - One thing that made bombers more interesting and viable to me was the ability to strand aircraft while refueling by destroying their tile's airbase (and dish some damage to the units themselves). Bombers are already rare, so making them worse indirectly is worth mentioning IMO
      - Air craft don't need a buff. In terms of fighting, I'd say planes are somewhat balanced (except for EAA). However, if you consider the mobility of air craft, there's no question air craft are simply better - air craft have enough mobility they can be your offense and defense and you can support conquests on multiple fronts so much faster than with special infantry, armor, or artillery. Making air craft more survivable (outside of golding the destruction of their airports which is a separate problem others have highlighted) just increases the superiority of air units over infantry, armor, arty.
      - In response to the "realism" argument of planes taking off if an attack is imminent, I hear the argument... however, I don't think this matches the flavor of CoN. No other units has a self-preservation mechanic. Infantry don't evacuate a city if a chemical ICBM is incoming, 6 hours from completely annihilating them.

Regarding Elite Frigate
      Consider...
      - If you have strong navy presence, elite frigates provide a pretty safe airbase (can't be sabotaged, bomber's can't ground them by destroying infrastructure, spec ops can't catch the air craft when landed, etc.). I think, in the old paradigm of air craft and air bases, the elite frigate actually provided something unique in terms of securing your air bases (carriers too, but those arn't viable until MUCH later in the game).
      - Secondly, it can be very annoying to have to spend the components and supplies for air strips just to clean up a few far-away lands or cities if you are running helicopters. Early game when resources are more limited, elite frigate let's you project your early game power unit without sinking resources into more air strips. Also, it let's you project power for coastal invasions you can't reach with from lands you control. Carriers do it better, but carriers need a level 5 navy base.
      - (At higher levels) low radar signature and better radar than all other ships are unique attributes on the elite frigate. Although the uses are limited, and partially dependent on micro, this is an alternative to heavies for naval recon
      - Elite frigate is the only ship with good anti-helicopter weapons. Helicopters are rare, but I have fought them and they are quite scary until you get ASFs going. ASFs are really the only strong counter to helicopters and that means there are ZERO passive counters to helicopters. That is, outside the elite frigate.

So, my hope is:
      1. revert the air craft change even if elite frigates can't stack again (for now)
      2. please don't get rid of elite frigate - at a minimum, it's a fun alternative strategy even if it's not a likely include for the most competitive build
      3. please solve the elite frigate stacking problem another way

The post was edited 3 times, last by Rainmaker2112 ().

• My two cents if you please.
      First of all, I totally agree with above statement that core game rules should not be changed to fix one (not the best) season unit, it just makes no sense.
      Next, to the story with odd aircraft behavior.
      Back then there was a perfect way to get rid of enemy ASF if you have no own ASF or SAM. As soon as your foe shows his planes in attack you know pretty well when he'll be back on his airfield. You could lure him with one unit being it inf or plane or heli, it usually worked. It somewhat changed with introduction of limited patrol time, but it still was the same. So you check the time and make sure your SF are above his airfield at HH:MM plus 15 minutes window.
      I knew the new rule, but I fell to somewhat not very obvious trap.
      So I've checked his return time and had 2 SF wings ready to demolish his lvl 1 airbase and take some of his ASF in the process. My first wave went in (patrol mode to shorten the flight time) 2 minutes after his 9 ASF landed. Result: airbase destroyed, all remaining ASF got airborne relocating to the next field. At his moment my second wave goes in (patrol mode again, it is important). Back then his remaining crafts would be deleted. Now these planes with no fuel at all (they were 2 minutes in refuel routine) fought back my attacking SF, killed 2 and proceeded to the next field.
      It's okay (maybe) in real terms that planes can scramble just before their airstrip is ruined. But they simply can't get airborne with no fuel, right ? Even if they did, they can't fight back - they should not have any ammo onboard. I mean, planes in refuel/reload phase cannot get airborne, it's impossible, right ?
      I always thought that CON is best in logic - like its rules mirrored what usually happens in real life. If your airstrip is destroyed you can't launch planes. If your cruiser has better radar, enemy fleet would never knew what hit them etc. But it's just getting ridiculous to badly change good rules in a favor of a unit that would soon be available to SC members only.
      All in all, this change was really bad. I understand that sometimes devs implement changes they see fit, sometimes thy implement changes to fix the bugs they think vital. But with no approval from community it usually leads to bad opinion. So maybe you could discuss such changes with us _before_ implementing them ?..

The post was edited 3 times, last by Drony77 ().

• Drony77 wrote:

. . . like its rules mirrored what usually happens in real life. . . .
      I agree with your general point, but when your supporting it, you should remember that in real life no sophisticated planes land, spend 15 minutes refueling, and then launch on another mission (and do the same thing for mission after mission after mission).

So - Yes - Games that agree well-enough with our intuition are good; but launching 2 minutes after landing is no more unrealistic that launching 15 minutes after landing.

However, with that said, "Yes", regardless of whether 15 minutes is ridiculous, I agree that the game should stick with using only one ridiculous timer for that operation, and not add an even more ridiculous possibility into the mix.

In other words, I think we're both agreeing that ridiculous approximations made for perfectly legitimate reasons can be fun; and that inconsistent approximations are less fun.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Drony77 wrote:

. . . like its rules mirrored what usually happens in real life. . . .
      I agree with your general point, but when your supporting it, you should remember that in real life no sophisticated planes land, spend 15 minutes refueling, and then launch on another mission (and do the same thing for mission after mission after mission).
      So - Yes - Games that agree well-enough with our intuition are good; but launching 2 minutes after landing is no more unrealistic that launching 15 minutes after landing.

However, with that said, "Yes", regardless of whether 15 minutes is ridiculous, I agree that the game should stick with using only one ridiculous timer for that operation, and not add an even more ridiculous possibility into the mix.

In other words, I think we're both agreeing that ridiculous approximations made for perfectly legitimate reasons can be fun; and that inconsistent approximations are less fun.
      Oh yes, of course I do realize that 15 minutes refuel op cannot ever exist. But it was kinda rule - I'm pretty sure very well discussed inside and established by the devs - that 15 minutes is not realistic but optimal to keep players engaged and active with their assets. And I liked it. I knew exactly what would happen, why, and what options do I have. It was at least logical. And I played accordingly. Now - I just don't understand the logic behind the events.