Why would you pick a 5 city nation? The disadvantage of having only 1 supplies city.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why would you pick a 5 city nation? The disadvantage of having only 1 supplies city.

I would like to hear perspectives and opinions related to this matter.

Of course the obvious reason for picking a 5 city nation is when there are no other nations available. I also understand if someone intentionally picks a 5 city nation to have a more challenging early game or if they think that having only 1 supplies city is not that big of a disadvantage. While I think that having 2 supplies cities or more cities in general is less meaningful towards the end game, given that you expand and have a successful game, I still think that having only 1 supplies city instead of 2 is quite a significant disadvantage, especially in the early game.

I'm in no way saying that you can't be successful or win the game with a 5 city nation. I just don't see the reason to pick a 5 city nation and intentionally handicap oneself by having significantly less supplies in the early game which hinders the ability to research and mobilize basic infantry (motorized/national guard). Based on my limited experience in the game, I think that the most significant disadvantage is especially between 5 city nations and those with 6 or more cities. While having 2 component cities instead of one (6 cities vs. 7 cities) can be advantageous if you are going for a build including a big navy and somehow avoid running out of electronics before components, I still don't consider this difference as significant.

I guess I'm also trying to figure out the reasoning behind nations having unequal resources or resource production in the beginning of the game.
    • Teburu wrote:

Because I dont really care about the amount of starting cities as long as it doesnt fall below 5.
      Initial Resources are more than enough to get a decent army together.

I worry more about starting position tbh.
      Only accepting/taking positions (in public games) that have >5 cities seems like a big "tell".

I refer you to the Saint Crispin's Day speech from Shakespeare's Henry V.

https://poetrysociety.org.uk/poems/the-st-crispins-day-speech-from-henry-v/

"Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
      That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
      Let him depart; his passport shall be made
      And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
      We would not die in that man’s company
      That fears his fellowship to die with us."
    • KFGauss wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Because I dont really care about the amount of starting cities as long as it doesnt fall below 5.
      Initial Resources are more than enough to get a decent army together.

I worry more about starting position tbh.
      Only accepting/taking positions (in public games) that have >5 cities seems like a big "tell".
      I refer you to the Saint Crispin's Day speech from Shakespeare's Henry V.

https://poetrysociety.org.uk/poems/the-st-crispins-day-speech-from-henry-v/

"Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,
      That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
      Let him depart; his passport shall be made
      And crowns for convoy put into his purse:
      We would not die in that man’s company
      That fears his fellowship to die with us."
      Starting location certainly matters, and I may have overlooked its importance compared to starting resources.

And yes, it's not difficult to win a public game with a 5 city nation. It's fairly easy most of the time, even for a newcomer like me if you have even somewhat decent strategy. Nonetheless, I still prefer to pick a nation with at least 6 cities if given a choice and would also prefer if the beginning of the match were more equal for all playable nations.
    • While I have picked 5 city countries from time to time, mainly because I wanted to play as that particular country, a good deal of the time I just want to have a game going and play lazy, so I pick a 7 or 6 city country, so I don't have to resource manage as much.

Right now playing 2 games, A Flashpoint 5 city (Cuba) and a BGUSA 7 city (Mexico) Despite the Flash5 having all of North America, part of Iceland, all of africa, iberia, france and Germany, and the BG7 just having everything below Texas plus Florida, and the BG7 being 2 days behind, it is outproducing the Flash5 game by 3k supplies, 2k comp, 0.9k fuel, 1k elec, 1.5k manpower and 22k ca$H PER DAY

Way easier
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • "Yes", to the two posts immediately above.

The crucial word in what I wrote was the first one, "Only".

Neither of you two "only" accept >5 city positions.

Same here - My BGUSA Season-Points-Farming game is 7 cities (Texas) - Before that my Sengoku game was 5 cities.

That brings us back to Teb's point. For me at least, I pick a general location or location-type, and then pick among the countries available that satisfy my first criterion.

However, we have seen posts in the past from people who will join (and then abandon/ignore) 10s of new games trying to get some "perfect" starting position and other initial conditions - X(
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

While I have picked 5 city countries from time to time, mainly because I wanted to play as that particular country, a good deal of the time I just want to have a game going and play lazy, so I pick a 7 or 6 city country, so I don't have to resource manage as much.

Right now playing 2 games, A Flashpoint 5 city (Cuba) and a BGUSA 7 city (Mexico) Despite the Flash5 having all of North America, part of Iceland, all of africa, iberia, france and Germany, and the BG7 just having everything below Texas plus Florida, and the BG7 being 2 days behind, it is outproducing the Flash5 game by 3k supplies, 2k comp, 0.9k fuel, 1k elec, 1.5k manpower and 22k ca$H PER DAY

Way easier
      That kind of difference in production may not affect the outcome of most public games where the skill level of other players is generally pretty bad. But in a situation where two equally skilled players are against each other, the one with fewer homeland cities and worse resource production will lose the war of attrition and the game eventually. But yeah I guess that's just how the game is.
    • Diippi wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

While I have picked 5 city countries from time to time, mainly because I wanted to play as that particular country, a good deal of the time I just want to have a game going and play lazy, so I pick a 7 or 6 city country, so I don't have to resource manage as much.

Way easier
      That kind of difference in production may not affect the outcome of most public games where the skill level of other players is generally pretty bad. But in a situation where two equally skilled players are against each other, the one with fewer homeland cities and worse resource production will lose the war of attrition and the game eventually. But yeah I guess that's just how the game is.
      War of attrition?

I have the luxury of being able to log in frequently and micromanage an air force (and occasionally a Navy). If things are progressing normally that opponent gets hammered hard in one, maybe two days before or near game-day 30 (preferably before game day 20) and that part of the game is over.

If things aren't progressing normally and I'm on the losing end of the situation - I suppose I can always send a "Good Game" message to the other person.

Many things, such as activity-levels, unit-choices, strategies, allies, etc. are just as important or more important than those (sweet, nice, precious, give-me-more ;) ) extra supplies or components.
    • KFGauss wrote:

Diippi wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Way easier
      War of attrition?
      I have the luxury of being able to log in frequently and micromanage an air force (and occasionally a Navy). If things are progressing normally that opponent gets hammered hard in one, maybe two days before or near game-day 30 (preferably before game day 20) and that part of the game is over.

If things aren't progressing normally and I'm on the losing end of the situation - I suppose I can always send a "Good Game" message to the other person.

Many things, such as activity-levels, unit-choices, strategies, allies, etc. are just as important or more important than those (sweet, nice, precious, give-me-more ;) ) extra supplies or components.
      Yes, I agree. Winning the game is the sum of many factors, of which economy is only one. It probably never comes down to that one factor now that I think of it. But still it's the one factor in the sum.