New 10x games?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mih0 wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Shame I missed it, but looking forward to playing this when it becomes mainstream.

Must be incredibly intense though. x4 is stressful enough but x10 must take stress levels into the stratosphere! I guess the good thing is you can complete a whole map in 4 real days, but need total commitment around the clock. This game mode does require very smart thinking and planning than other speeds I would imagine.

Can't seem to find any threads from the players that actually experienced this speed and what strategies they adopted?
      I started a game on Monday, it's very fast pace and I really like it. If you are very active it pays off, if you are not very active someone can kill you within 1 real time hour.
      In the very beginning with saudi arabia and ally Iran I spammed national guard and started researching corvettes and artillery. I invaded Iraq with the starting army, managed to catch him with 2 units defending each city and with 1x5 superiority they got killed with minimal casualties. With my assigned artillery I also invaded israel, he had quite a lot of infantry and was harder to kill, so I again frontal attacked his cities with my assigned army (and newly made NG) tried to do again 1x4 superiority with artillery support. I would have taken less casualties if I waited for the artillery to do it's job, but I didn't want to give him a chance to regroup and form 10 infantry stacks.

By day 4 israel and Iraq were gone, Greece attacked me by sea, but got killed by artillery in his approach and I managed to take Cyprus and Crete by using my ships.

I woke up at day 6 more or less and invaded Egypt, as he was another active player. The goal i believe is to be active in the first hours to eliminate all threats nearby, so no one can rush your cities, especially make ships to cover your coast. After that you can reorganize and start expanding, by focusing on one country at a time. Overall the game passes much faster and you have a feeling of getting more resources, because when you wake up 2-3 game days have passed.

In my current game there aren't as many active people like myself and my friend, right now it's day 22 and I have 46 cities, he has 50 cities and we are top 2 in the game without a lot of competition.
      Thanks, always interesting to hear player experiences.

Was your strategy any different to x4 speed games?

It may sound silly but I'm thinking of going heavy with AFV's or TDs in x10. They could do a job, at least for defensive purposes. Of course a good player can counter these quite easily.

Oh, and is it the same story with players going inactive after 1 real day?
    • KFGauss wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

If I'm able to use my usual methods, . . .

Mih0 wrote:

Well yeah, however if I leave 4-5 SAM launchers to cover my bases all of your planes will be shot down and you will have to find an alternative way of attacking them. . . .
      . . .SO . . . What I'm trying to wrap my head around is this: If I were to meet an atypical opponent like you (in a 10X game) would you really be likely to have 4-5 SAMs parked in each of your home cities, and if you did do that, how much would you have shot yourself in the foot (none? some? fully?) by putting the necessary supplies, electronics, and cash (and rares) into those SAMS (research and production), instead of investing them into units that could fuel faster expansion (so that you could hit me before I hit you).

. . .
      Thanks for the info you put into your previous reply.
      However, I'm still hoping to learn what you had in mind when you wrote that earlier post.

What would you give up to in order to put roughly 40k supplies and 16k electronics into 4-5 defensive SAM launchers in all your bases in a country like Turkey?
      Now that I have played and won such a game (with Saudi Arabia), I wouldn't give up anything and I wouldn't cover my home country with SAMs or any other army for that matter. I would make a ship for each city to guard the coastline (e.g 7-8 corvettes or Frigates) which is enough to stop most rush attacks overnight (if you consistently seek out to kill your main opponents nearby). In total from air defense units In this one I needed only 4 SAMs, 6 Frigates and 4 Anti Airs upgraded to air transport level to win. Everything else was national guard, some anti-tank, submarines, artillery and a few bombers - I owe my victory to artillery and national guard in this one, as the enemy had a lot of final level infantry very fast (you can have it in 6 game days e.g 7 real time hours), but since artillery was outranging them it wasn't a problem.
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Thanks, always interesting to hear player experiences.
      Was your strategy any different to x4 speed games?

It may sound silly but I'm thinking of going heavy with AFV's or TDs in x10. They could do a job, at least for defensive purposes. Of course a good player can counter these quite easily.

Oh, and is it the same story with players going inactive after 1 real day?

Not very different, the only thing I made more was coastal ships to cover more cities nearby even in conquered cities (I was with Saudi Arabia, covered homeland cities, Oman and most cities of Israel), as I was worried someone can enter from there and wreak havoc on undefended cities overnight. Otherwise you can research anything from day one and can upgrade it as much as you want, hence you can upgrade motorized infantry to final level in 6 game days (7 real time hours).

I went with my last 4x strategy that I was testing, as I thought it will be more stable, especially if someone attacks my main stacks overnight - Strike stack always together: national guard for taking territory and defense, 5 anti tank for defense and emergency city attacks (great damage against armor and in defense in a city they have +50% bonus, which makes it also great against infantry even equaling an AFV on level 4), 10 towed artillery upgraded to air assault level, 4 anti air, 4 SAM. From navy around 10 attack submarines final level, 6-7 frigates, 5-6 corvettes and finally 7 bombers for long-range attacks if someone tries to rush my territory far away with single infantry units or for emergency support for the strike stack if someone is trying to encircle me .

Overall I barely used the submarines (in usual 4x games I always have massive sea battles, in this one no one bothered to make navy) and I also barely used the bombers, but the bombers helped out with annoying users far away trying to rush me with single infantry units so it was worth it.

The game started on Monday and now Thursday morning 9AM CET it was finished. My coalition won, I was first with 1268 gold which is a lot less compared to overkill where I would usually get around 4k or more in each game but it also finished 3 times faster so I guess if you want more action you can pack 3-4 10x games in the same time you would usually pack a 4x game and also earn around 4k gold.

I liked it and I would definitely play again, however I feel like the people playing weren't top players as most of them had very small armies (40-50 units in day 36) that didn't pose any threat to us. I think in usual 4x games you can allocate your resources better and in the end you get more interesting battles with the users that sticked around till the end. But maybe I was also unlucky, as the demand for this type of game is very high and they get filled up very quickly so it's possible that the very good players were in other games.
    • Mih0 wrote:

Now that I have played and won such a game (with Saudi Arabia), I wouldn't give up anything and I wouldn't cover my home country with SAMs or any other army for that matter. I would make a ship for each city to guard the coastline (e.g 7-8 corvettes or Frigates) which is enough to stop most rush attacks overnight (if you consistently seek out to kill your main opponents nearby). . . .
      OK Thanks - That sounds like a player with enough planes might be able to land a good punch after all (While simultaneously needing to pay attention whatever compromises they made while mobilizing those planes).
    • For me, it's always exciting to discover new games, especially when there's a special event like this. I haven't had the chance to join one of the new 10X games yet, but I'm eager to hear about everyone's first impressions.
      As for how long the special event will be available, I'm not entirely sure, but it's worth checking the game's official announcements or forums for any updates.
      Also, if you're interested in trying something new and potentially earning some extra cash, you might want to explore an instant earning app. It could be a fun way to supplement your gaming experience.

The post was edited 1 time, last by WilliamhGibsona ().