New 10x games?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Well I think it will be more dynamic and would need to adjust strategies significantly, one I can think of is having to keep a back up force at home just in case someone tried to rush you at night. However if you start in the morning, before you go to sleep it’s day 4 and should be able to secure your borders. My only concern is unit production, however I guess this incentivises us to get a security council and stop being freeloaders (for the people who want to play it of course) :D
    • Mih0 wrote:

Well I think it will be more dynamic and would need to adjust strategies significantly, one I can think of is having to keep a back up force at home just in case someone tried to rush you at night. However if you start in the morning, before you go to sleep it’s day 4 and should be able to secure your borders. My only concern is unit production, however I guess this incentivises us to get a security council and stop being freeloaders (for the people who want to play it of course) :D
      If I'm able to use my usual methods, during those 8 hours (3 game days) you're sleeping, my planes will convert any backup forces you have into scattered pixels without breaking a sweat.

In 3 game days I typically (almost always) completely destroy any/all units owned by an opponent in a public 1X game.

If I can almost always do that, why-o-why would I be slowed down by that opponent assigning some fraction of their units to a home guard in 10X game?

Unless Dorado has done something new this time, fast CoN games will suffer from all the same play-style problems (and benefits) (see previous threads) that had when they were tried before.
    • Well yeah, however if I leave 4-5 SAM launchers to cover my bases all of your planes will be shot down and you will have to find an alternative way of attacking them. E.g artillery or direct attack, which will be slower and also has weaknesses. If you are talking late game, then you will be too far from my homeland to make such a strike unless you come with ships.

I used to play with a lot with helicopters ,however in the last couple of games I stopped using the dominant air strategy and started doing a mix of national guards , anti tank, navy, support and for buildings I use 5 bombers and spies. The SF spammer in the last game had the worst time, day 25 he couldn’t touch my units (without loosing 2 SF a hit) while I slowly annihilated his infantry and destroyed his airports and strikers (around 15 of them and 5 attack helis) on his homeland.

Any strategy has a counter and it’s very easy to stay ahead of you follow the news.
    • Mih0 wrote:

Well yeah, however if I leave 4-5 SAM launchers to cover my bases all of your planes will be shot down and you will have to find an alternative way of attacking them. E.g artillery or direct attack, which will be slower and also has weaknesses. If you are talking late game, then you will be too far from my homeland to make such a strike unless you come with ships.

I used to play with a lot with helicopters ,however in the last couple of games I stopped using the dominant air strategy and started doing a mix of national guards , anti tank, navy, support and for buildings I use 5 bombers and spies. The SF spammer in the last game had the worst time, day 25 he couldn’t touch my units (without loosing 2 SF a hit) while I slowly annihilated his infantry and destroyed his airports and strikers (around 15 of them and 5 attack helis) on his homeland.

Any strategy has a counter and it’s very easy to stay ahead of you follow the news.
      If you had time (without using Gold) to build 4-5 SAM launchers (and also do other non-trivial mobilizations), the game has gone on for too long.

Never mind how long it takes to build enough for 4-5 coverage of all home cities, let's get down to some specifics . . .

On what game-day, in a typical public game do you have enough SAM launchers to cover each of your home cities with two SAMs? What is the tech level of those SAMs? And, how many overlapping SAM Zones (2 SAMS per zone) are you expecting to have to create (Israel's tiny surface area isn't a typical country size) to protect your country?

On that ^ game day, how may other-country home cities have you typically conquered? What are your resource income figures on that day?

And finally - What is your typical total OOB on that ^ game-day?

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

Mih0 wrote:

Well yeah, however if I leave 4-5 SAM launchers to cover my bases all of your planes will be shot down and you will have to find an alternative way of attacking them. E.g artillery or direct attack, which will be slower and also has weaknesses. If you are talking late game, then you will be too far from my homeland to make such a strike unless you come with ships.

If you had time (without using Gold) to build 4-5 SAM launchers (and also do other non-trivial mobilizations), the game has gone on for too long.
      Never mind how long it takes to build enough for 4-5 coverage of all home cities, let's get down to some specifics . . .

On what game-day, in a typical public game do you have enough SAM launchers to cover each of your home cities with two SAMs? What is the tech level of those SAMs? And, how many overlapping SAM Zones (2 SAMS per zone) are you expecting to have to create (Israel's tiny surface area isn't a typical country size) to protect your country?

On that ^ game day, how may other-country home cities have you typically conquered? What are your resource income figures on that day?

„anything that beats you“
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • KFGauss wrote:

Mih0 wrote:

I mean sure, every game is different, with different starting positions and rate of expansion. In my last game by day 23 I had around 45-50 cities, 3 SAM, 3 Anti air, 5 artillery, 5 bombers, 2 radars, lots of national guard and 5 anti-tank (at sea I had 5 frigates, 3 corvettes and 5 submarines) with no gold spent. The homeland wasn't covered by SAMs or troops, as there was no risk of an attack (ships covered the coast).

Starting as Turkey I had no potential threats in my vicinity (closest was Algeria homeland and India homeland) and I attacked Algeria from conquered Libyan territory. Either way it doesn't matter as boasting about the strength of Strike fighters and supremacy of your strategy is dumb, if all your enemy needs to defeat you is 2-3 SAMs or Frigates.

How long do your games take? When do you win on Overkill with your strategy? What is your win/lose game ratio? In my case I win 90% of all games I join usually by day 35 on overkill. (won 19, lost 2, 2 still playing)
    • Mih0 wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Mih0 wrote:

If you had time (without using Gold) to build 4-5 SAM launchers (and also do other non-trivial mobilizations), the game has gone on for too long.Never mind how long it takes to build enough for 4-5 coverage of all home cities, let's get down to some specifics . . .

I mean sure, every game is different, with different starting positions and rate of expansion. In my last game by day 23 I had around 45-50 cities, 3 SAM, 3 Anti air, 5 artillery, 5 bombers, 2 radars, lots of national guard and 5 anti-tank (at sea I had 5 frigates, 3 corvettes and 5 submarines) with no gold spent. The homeland wasn't covered by SAMs or troops, as there was no risk of an attack (ships covered the coast).
      Starting as Turkey I had no potential threats in my vicinity (closest was Algeria homeland and India homeland) and I attacked Algeria from conquered Libyan territory. Either way it doesn't matter as boasting about the strength of Strike fighters and supremacy of your strategy is dumb, if all your enemy needs to defeat you is 2-3 SAMs or Frigates.

How long do your games take? When do you win on Overkill with your strategy? What is your win/lose game ratio? In my case I win 90% of all games I join usually by day 35 on overkill. (won 19, lost 2, 2 still playing)
      Thats not really that much for day 23.
      For comparison: My recent game ended on day 34 with a Solo win with about 200 units and 133 cities.
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Mih0 wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Mih0 wrote:

If you had time (without using Gold) to build 4-5 SAM launchers (and also do other non-trivial mobilizations), the game has gone on for too long.Never mind how long it takes to build enough for 4-5 coverage of all home cities, let's get down to some specifics . . .

I mean sure, every game is different, with different starting positions and rate of expansion. In my last game by day 23 I had around 45-50 cities, 3 SAM, 3 Anti air, 5 artillery, 5 bombers, 2 radars, lots of national guard and 5 anti-tank (at sea I had 5 frigates, 3 corvettes and 5 submarines) with no gold spent. The homeland wasn't covered by SAMs or troops, as there was no risk of an attack (ships covered the coast).Starting as Turkey I had no potential threats in my vicinity (closest was Algeria homeland and India homeland) and I attacked Algeria from conquered Libyan territory. Either way it doesn't matter as boasting about the strength of Strike fighters and supremacy of your strategy is dumb, if all your enemy needs to defeat you is 2-3 SAMs or Frigates.

Thats not really that much for day 23.For comparison: My recent game ended on day 34 with a Solo win with about 200 units and 133 cities.
      Well of course by day 35 (on which we won) in this same quoted game I had 118 cities, 3 victory sites and 133 units (I could have made more units, but we were winning and there was no one to truly oppose us so I didn't bother). I play with my friend in each game, so my wins are always coalition win, even if I have enough points for a solo win + I get more gold out of it, in the game before this one I got 4648 gold.
    • KFGauss wrote:

If I'm able to use my usual methods, . . .

Mih0 wrote:

Well yeah, however if I leave 4-5 SAM launchers to cover my bases all of your planes will be shot down and you will have to find an alternative way of attacking them. . . .

Mih0 wrote:

In the games that count for this conversation (not FP, BGUSA, or PT) (I've never tried Overkill) the handwriting was on the wall by day 20, and the games were essentially over sometime between day 25 and 35 (some mopping-up still needed to be done) - Those were WW3 and a Sengoku coalition wins with friends +/- some randoms.

My original comment was not supposed to be bragging - So let's set that aside.

Instead I was saying that 2-3 game-days is usually plenty of time to obliterate an opponent. Using is air power is one especially quick way to do it.

In your reply I was surprised to see you predict having 4-5 SAM launchers covering all "bases" (I'm assuming bases = home cities) in (the first 15-30 days? of) a typical game, and also imply simultaneously having the frontline troops needed for good growth.

In a 7-city country like Turkey, putting 4.5 Level 3 SAMs in each city (if you build them all before upgrading their tech levels to level 4) would cost:
      • 7 * 4.5 * { 1250 Supp, 500 Elec, 1500 Cash } = {39375 Supp, 15750 Elec, 47250 Cash }, plus research rares & supplies (it takes about 5k of each, plus cash to get those SAMs up to level 3)

I'm curious which units (or buildings?) in your OOB (from your earlier post) you would give up mobilizing (and/or researching) in order to invest at least { 40k Supplies, 16k Electronics, 47k Cash } into mobilizing SAMS?

Doing some really rough extrapolating from data I collected passively playing Iran in a Flashpoint game, lets say that Turkey started with 14k supplies, and that the home cities plus captured cities produced a average of 4k supplies per day, and that you used cash to buy 7k supplies out of the market.

• The 40k supplies (plus 5k for research) you need to mobilize & research those level 3 SAMs consumes every supply you have for ((40 + 5) - (14 + 7)) / 4 = (45 - 21) / 4 = 24 / 4 = 6 full days production.

Putting 6 days of non-stop supply production into SAMs is going to take a big bite out of something else (buildings, units, research).

For comparison, if we think of me as a Fighter-spammer, I can dig up these two OOBs

In this one, I (Chad) built a bunch of Mot Inf + CRV + AFV trios to experiment with having a powerful all-purpose ground stack. That sucked - I'm not gonna do that again - Those resources would largely get invested into air power in any recent game. With that said there were 22 SF in the arsenal on Day 22 (and about 80 captured/new cities pumping out resources). If I hadn't mobilized the dumb MI+CRV+AFV stacks, I'm going to guess I could have added another 10 or more SF to my air forces.

What's your ACTUAL Day 5, 10, 15, 20, ... Order of Battle (OOB)

In this next one (it was a Pacific Theater map so . . .) I was simply mowing down AI debris - It's a lousy example of needing to fight opponents, but like it says in its description, it's an OK example of manufacturing potential. By Day 18 I had 12 SF + 5 EAA at Tech levels 4 and 1 (almost 2). And, 98 captured cities were feeding into my home city mobilizations (and a little annexing for Naval production).

SO . . . What I'm trying to wrap my head around is this: If I were to meet an atypical opponent like you (in a 10X game) would you really be likely to have 4-5 SAMs parked in each of your home cities, and if you did do that, how much would you have shot yourself in the foot (none? some? fully?) by putting the necessary supplies, electronics, and cash (and rares) into those SAMS (research and production), instead of investing them into units that could fuel faster expansion (so that you could hit me before I hit you).

My obvious prejudice is that the resources are better invested in trying to kill your opponent before they kill you because I generally consider strong defenses a poor CoN investment.

And, that prejudice leads me to think that a 10X game with some competent opponents would turn simply into a free-for-all with the outcome decided by who can spend the most time online, and who has to sleep the least/most.

PS: I'll bet that some paying customers will love playing in that sort of free-for-all.

The post was edited 8 times, last by KFGauss ().

• Shame I missed it, but looking forward to playing this when it becomes mainstream.

Must be incredibly intense though. x4 is stressful enough but x10 must take stress levels into the stratosphere! I guess the good thing is you can complete a whole map in 4 real days, but need total commitment around the clock. This game mode does require very smart thinking and planning than other speeds I would imagine.

Can't seem to find any threads from the players that actually experienced this speed and what strategies they adopted?
    • KFGauss wrote:

In the games that count for this conversation (not FP, BGUSA, or PT) (I've never tried Overkill) the handwriting was on the wall by day 20, and the games were essentially over sometime between day 25 and 35 (some mopping-up still needed to be done) - Those were WW3 and a Sengoku coalition wins with friends +/- some randoms.
      My original comment was not supposed to be bragging - So let's set that aside.

Instead I was saying that 2-3 game-days is usually plenty of time to obliterate an opponent. Using is air power is one especially quick way to do it.

In your reply I was surprised to see you predict having 4-5 SAM launchers covering all "bases" (I'm assuming bases = home cities) in (the first 15-30 days? of) a typical game, and also imply simultaneously having the frontline troops needed for good growth.

In a 7-city country like Turkey, putting 4.5 Level 3 SAMs in each city (if you build them all before upgrading their tech levels to level 4) would cost:
      • 7 * 4.5 * { 1250 Supp, 500 Elec, 1500 Cash } = {39375 Supp, 15750 Elec, 47250 Cash }, plus research rares & supplies (it takes about 5k of each, plus cash to get those SAMs up to level 3)

I'm curious which units (or buildings?) in your OOB (from your earlier post) you would give up mobilizing (and/or researching) in order to invest at least { 40k Supplies, 16k Electronics, 47k Cash } into mobilizing SAMS?

Doing some really rough extrapolating from data I collected passively playing Iran in a Flashpoint game, lets say that Turkey started with 14k supplies, and that the home cities plus captured cities produced a average of 4k supplies per day, and that you used cash to buy 7k supplies out of the market.

• The 40k supplies (plus 5k for research) you need to mobilize & research those level 3 SAMs consumes every supply you have for ((40 + 5) - (14 + 7)) / 4 = (45 - 21) / 4 = 24 / 4 = 6 full days production.

Putting 6 days of non-stop supply production into SAMs is going to take a big bite out of something else (buildings, units, research).

For comparison, if we think of me as a Fighter-spammer, I can dig up these two OOBs

In this one, I (Chad) built a bunch of Mot Inf + CRV + AFV trios to experiment with having a powerful all-purpose ground stack. That sucked - I'm not gonna do that again - Those resources would largely get invested into air power in any recent game. With that said there were 22 SF in the arsenal on Day 22 (and about 80 captured/new cities pumping out resources). If I hadn't mobilized the dumb MI+CRV+AFV stacks, I'm going to guess I could have added another 10 or more SF to my air forces.

In this next one (it was a Pacific Theater map so . . .) I was simply mowing down AI debris - It's a lousy example of needing to fight opponents, but like it says in its description, it's an OK example of manufacturing potential. By Day 18 I had 12 SF + 5 EAA at Tech levels 4 and 1 (almost 2). And, 98 captured cities were feeding into my home city mobilizations (and a little annexing for Naval production).

SO . . . What I'm trying to wrap my head around is this: If I were to meet an atypical opponent like you (in a 10X game) would you really be likely to have 4-5 SAMs parked in each of your home cities, and if you did do that, how much would you have shot yourself in the foot (none? some? fully?) by putting the necessary supplies, electronics, and cash (and rares) into those SAMS (research and production), instead of investing them into units that could fuel faster expansion (so that you could hit me before I hit you).

My obvious prejudice is that the resources are better invested in trying to kill your opponent before they kill you because I generally consider strong defenses a poor CoN investment.

And, that prejudice leads me to think that a 10X game with some competent opponents would turn simply into a free-for-all with the outcome decided by who can spend the most time online, and who has to sleep the least/most.

PS: I'll bet that some paying customers will love playing in that sort of free-for-all.
      I agree, your goal in the game should be killing your enemies and any threat to your homeland - which I also do.

By day 5 I have quite a few national guards, 3-4 artilleries, 2 anti airs and at least 2 corvettes and 2 Frigates. In the beginning I focus on navy, as I can sea blockade enemies and destroy planes quite easily with Frigates, so by day 10 I have at least 4-5 frigates, 1-2 sams 2-3 Anti air guns, 8-10 artillery and National guard to support expansion (recently I started doing also anti-tank, so depending on my enemies I will have at least 2 or more).

By day 20 I start doing submarines and start upgrading the artillery, anti air, get at least 4 SAM, I also upgrade frigates and submarines.. I have not played pacific theatre, i don't know how hard/easy it is to take cities, in world war 3 or overkill I would have around 50 cities by day 20 and I usually cover my home base with navy, rather than units, as all units are on the front line.

I wouldn't need to cover my homeland, unless it's in the first 5 days for your strategy as most likely you won't have range to strike. I cover my front line troops, as they are most likely to get targeted by planes. And if it's in the first 5 days, the 2 frigates and 2 anti air will stave off any hasty attack from planes, as they won't be able to make more than 3-4 planes which won't make a huge difference.

In my current game by day 6 I invaded Egypt from Saudi Arabia with 3 frigates, 1 corvette, 2 anti air, 1 anti tank, 8 mixed infantry and 4 artillery while he had 4 strikers, 1 fighter and around 18 infantry for defense. Needless to say his most useless asset were the planes as the anti air and 3 frigates shot down 2 of his planes in his first attack, after which he couldn't use them anymore. He organized a good defense with infantry, but I blew them with the artillery forcing him to attack me. Casualty rate after 1 game day of fighting was 2.2k vs 22k and he couldn't do anything about it.
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Shame I missed it, but looking forward to playing this when it becomes mainstream.

Must be incredibly intense though. x4 is stressful enough but x10 must take stress levels into the stratosphere! I guess the good thing is you can complete a whole map in 4 real days, but need total commitment around the clock. This game mode does require very smart thinking and planning than other speeds I would imagine.

Can't seem to find any threads from the players that actually experienced this speed and what strategies they adopted?
      I started a game on Monday, it's very fast pace and I really like it. If you are very active it pays off, if you are not very active someone can kill you within 1 real time hour.

In the very beginning with saudi arabia and ally Iran I spammed national guard and started researching corvettes and artillery. I invaded Iraq with the starting army, managed to catch him with 2 units defending each city and with 1x5 superiority they got killed with minimal casualties. With my assigned artillery I also invaded israel, he had quite a lot of infantry and was harder to kill, so I again frontal attacked his cities with my assigned army (and newly made NG) tried to do again 1x4 superiority with artillery support. I would have taken less casualties if I waited for the artillery to do it's job, but I didn't want to give him a chance to regroup and form 10 infantry stacks.

By day 4 israel and Iraq were gone, Greece attacked me by sea, but got killed by artillery in his approach and I managed to take Cyprus and Crete by using my ships.

I woke up at day 6 more or less and invaded Egypt, as he was another active player. The goal i believe is to be active in the first hours to eliminate all threats nearby, so no one can rush your cities, especially make ships to cover your coast. After that you can reorganize and start expanding, by focusing on one country at a time. Overall the game passes much faster and you have a feeling of getting more resources, because when you wake up 2-3 game days have passed.

In my current game there aren't as many active people like myself and my friend, right now it's day 22 and I have 46 cities, he has 50 cities and we are top 2 in the game without a lot of competition.
    • KFGauss wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

If I'm able to use my usual methods, . . .

Mih0 wrote:

Well yeah, however if I leave 4-5 SAM launchers to cover my bases all of your planes will be shot down and you will have to find an alternative way of attacking them. . . .
      . . .
      SO . . .
      What I'm trying to wrap my head around is this: If I were to meet an atypical opponent like you (in a 10X game) would you really be likely to have 4-5 SAMs parked in each of your home cities, and if you did do that, how much would you have shot yourself in the foot (none? some? fully?) by putting the necessary supplies, electronics, and cash (and rares) into those SAMS (research and production), instead of investing them into units that could fuel faster expansion (so that you could hit me before I hit you).

. . .
      Thanks for the info you put into your previous reply.

However, I'm still hoping to learn what you had in mind when you wrote that earlier post.

What would you give up to in order to put roughly 40k supplies and 16k electronics into 4-5 defensive SAM launchers in all your bases in a country like Turkey?