Combat recon vehicle weaknesses

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Combat recon vehicle weaknesses

As far as I can see on the newspaper, the country that I’m about to go to war with has spammed combat recon vehicles and used them to take over most of Africa somehow. It’s very likely that I’ll be going to war with them in the next few days, so could someone suggest the biggest weaknesses and counters to the combat recon vehicle for me to exploit.

Also, I would like to say that I’m very new to the game. So that’s why I don’t know the best unit to counter it. Although, I do understand that the combat recon vehicle isn’t that great in general.

Thanks
    • dannyboy11 wrote:

As far as I can see on the newspaper, the country that I’m about to go to war with has spammed combat recon vehicles and used them to take over most of Africa somehow. It’s very likely that I’ll be going to war with them in the next few days, so could someone suggest the biggest weaknesses and counters to the combat recon vehicle for me to exploit.

Also, I would like to say that I’m very new to the game. So that’s why I don’t know the best unit to counter it. Although, I do understand that the combat recon vehicle isn’t that great in general.

Thanks
      What day are you at? Even high level infantry can deal with ARVs.

Attack choppers/SFs/EAA routinely eat them for breakfast.
    • dannyboy11 wrote:

I’m at day 10. I have two SF’s, but I’d like some more units to directly counter as it’s seems like he has a lot of combat recon vehicles. So I’ll probably research attack chopper.
      Attack Choppers are obviously good against Hard targets, including CRVs.

However, Africa is a big place.

Compared to planes, Attack Choppers require more air bases (air bases that you construct slowly using resources you'd probably prefer to invest in something else), and choppers don't fly as fast when you want to react to an opportunity or to a danger.

Attack Choppers are also poor against any soft targets your opponent has accompanying his CRVs, and that means that at some point you're likely to want to research and build some Helicopter Gunships too (not necessarily, but there's a good chance).

For those reasons, I prefer using SF/NSF/ASF combinations instead of Choppers. The average damage they inflict is pretty close to the damage an AH/HG combo will inflict (over a given time, in a given area) and the planes are sooooo much more nimble.

Also, as a GENERAL (not ironclad) rule, all air units should be paired up with a good Hospital that can heal them during lulls in the fighting. Planes get to/from a hospital faster than choppers do.

However, you'll find that plenty of successful players reach exactly the opposite conclusion (choppers instead of planes), in part because SAMs don't hurt choppers.

YMMV.
    • Thanks for the advice, I came to the same conclusion with hospitals. I have two SF’s at the moment that I rotate back to my capital city to heal up using the level 3 hospital I have there. In terms of SAMs, I’m in a noob lobby (myself included), so I doubt that will be an issue lol. I think I’ll probably just invest in another SF to deal with him.
    • dannyboy11 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I came to the same conclusion with hospitals. I have two SF’s at the moment that I rotate back to my capital city to heal up using the level 3 hospital I have there. In terms of SAMs, I’m in a noob lobby (myself included), so I doubt that will be an issue lol. I think I’ll probably just invest in another SF to deal with him.
      If you have 2 SF now, invest in 4 NSF, 1 more ASF, and 2 more SF, and then fly them in two stacks of 1 + 2 + 2.

You'll be fairly deadly (you want to kill with a single hit) and you'll be able to fly more missions before being at risk of losing a plane.

Don't fight in the mud on the ground. Kill from above.
    • dannyboy11 wrote:

Sorry, forgot to mention that I already have 2 ASF, so i suppose that would mean don’t invest in 1 more ASF?

And I assume the configuration of each stack would be 1 ASF, 2 SF & 2 NSF?

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it
      Correct - You'll enjoy mowing the opposition down like wheat.

PS: If you want to splurge a little, a decent radar or two accompanying your cheap National Guards will help avoid stumbling into hornets' nests as you empty and gobble up the territory you are coveting. While the planes can certainly search for bad guys on their own, the radar simplifies that work.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().