Destroyers need their Air Arm

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Destroyers need their Air Arm

Now this is without a doubt a major miss in the game. The fact that this wasnt here, I was extremely surprised by

Here is a picture, of either a seahawk or a knighthawk landing on board an Arleigh Burke class destroyer :P

Yep......

So, the fact that helicopters cannot operate from destroyers is really bad, I think that this badly needs to be fixed. Plus it will give more uses to helicopters, which I feel are struggling to compete with fixed-wing aircraft in this game. Think this is something that without a doubt, need to be added.. Some fleets main ASW abilities spring from their air arm.

I believe the brit Type 45 can operate 2 helis from its destroyer too
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • So any idea how this coming along?
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • And I changed my view regarding helis since then, I find helis are prop most underrated unit in the game, be surprised how useful they are if you are smart enough to know how to use them :P
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

Destroyers need to have helis on them, because if not ASW helis are pretty much useless.
      I do like ASW helis, couldnt say they useless. Im using them a lot, being carrier based is really the benifit I must agree
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • We're also planning some other more economical stuff for naval combat - to make it more important.

Down the line we are planning to add a blockading system for port cities, effectively cutting them off from global sea trade and thus denying the blockaded player a large chunk of his resource/cash income.

We do believe there needs to be an inherent reason to go to war at sea/invest into navy which so far has been missing.

ETA: TBD but already planned in for the coming weeks.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

Down the line we are planning to add a blockading system for port cities, effectively cutting them off from global sea trade and thus denying the blockaded player a large chunk of his resource/cash income.
      NICE! Yet another thing that CoW devs refused to implement.

Oceanhawk wrote:

I do like ASW helis, couldnt say they useless. Im using them a lot, being carrier based is really the benifit I must agree
      Yeah, but I use carriers for planes. ASW use too much space up.

#GoForThe18th
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

Germanico wrote:

NICE! Yet another thing that CoW devs refused to implement.

Oceanhawk wrote:

Yeah, but I use carriers for planes. ASW use too much space up.
      Defo not, no point having planes if you dont know where to send em or what is ahead. ASW helis have a really good view range which is vitally important
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

Oceanhawk wrote:

Defo not, no point having planes if you dont know where to send em or what is ahead. ASW helis have a really good view range which is vitally important
      Yo, the fact that newly invaded territories take so long to annex make carriers vital. Pack them with planes and off you go.
      Yea I know... but again, there no point having planes if you dont know where to fly XD
      They need Something with good view range to locate targets, like AWACS or ASW helis can also be used
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • I think what this is really calling into question is the goal of destroyers in CON.
      They appear to be intended for use as an ASW asset, although in the 10 days so far of my game (of which I've had a destroyer for about half), I have yet to encounter either a friendly or hostile submarine (which may be due to their stealth characteristics, but I doubt it).
      Due to the apparent lack of submarine targets, I've been using the destroyer to provide fire support against enemy ground formations, where it is quite effective. So far it's killed 3 enemy units using gunfire and cruise missiles.
      Based on this experience, I think the addition of room for 1 helicopter of any type would make destroyers far more effective at fire support against inland ground targets, and would probably (I am not certain, never having fought one of these engagements) increase its value as an ASuW and ASW asset as well.
      "The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand."
      Sergeant Zim, Terran Federation
    • RasczakRough wrote:

I think what this is really calling into question is the goal of destroyers in CON.
      They appear to be intended for use as an ASW asset, although in the 10 days so far of my game (of which I've had a destroyer for about half), I have yet to encounter either a friendly or hostile submarine (which may be due to their stealth characteristics, but I doubt it).
      Due to the apparent lack of submarine targets, I've been using the destroyer to provide fire support against enemy ground formations, where it is quite effective. So far it's killed 3 enemy units using gunfire and cruise missiles.
      Based on this experience, I think the addition of room for 1 helicopter of any type would make destroyers far more effective at fire support against inland ground targets, and would probably (I am not certain, never having fought one of these engagements) increase its value as an ASuW and ASW asset as well.
      I find that the destroyer are simply the backbone of any navy. Frigates are AA and provide fleet protection, destroyers are the real work horses.

helis need destroyers and vice versa. Weather for intel gathering or fire support, or subs and corvettes

But I wouldnt say there is an absence of subs in the game
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • lol you can't be serious about adding for destroyers ability to host one or even more helicopters - whatever type it would be. It's simply hilarious in terms of balance. In practice player would have cheap, 1/2 seats heli carrier. It's absurd. They are not used like that in reality. Only for very, very limited ASW - in game it would be represented above it level of capabilities and would break the balance of naval warfare as much as land warfare (if destroyers would be able to host land attack helos).
    • Eternus wrote:

lol you can't be serious about adding for destroyers ability to host one or even more helicopters - whatever type it would be. It's simply hilarious in terms of balance. In practice player would have cheap, 1/2 seats heli carrier. It's absurd. They are not used like that in reality. Only for very, very limited ASW - in game it would be represented above it level of capabilities and would break the balance of naval warfare as much as land warfare (if destroyers would be able to host land attack helos).
      Well Im pushing for ASW helis, but I dont see why not have Attack and gunships

I think helis need an extra little edge, and IRL their versatility is a factor when picking an attack heli over a ground attack aircraft.
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Well not many attack helicopters use destroyers to my knowledge. ASW for sure,then maybe Gunship at later levels.
      "I know not what weapons WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will be fought with sticks & stones."
      -Einstein
      "Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind."
      -Kennedy
      "There's a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office I intend to expose this plot."
      -Kennedy,week before his asassanation
    • I don't know if it would be to overpowered or not or if it's even possible with carriers (I'm pretty new), but I think it would be pretty cool if the airborne or marines could utilize the destroyers and/or carriers for some sort of transport or "waypoint". For example, an airborne unit can fly to a destroyer, land and maybe refuel there, before flying to their actual destination. This would allow for airborne to have more range which might be OP, but I think it would be a nice addition, although I'm not aware of how realistic this idea would be.

Anyway, I do recall there being a suggestion about having helicopter dedicated carriers and I can only assume they would utilize some sort of function like the one I stated above. If anyone can share info on whether this kind of idea will be implemented or not, that would be very much appreciated.
    • Brutaful wrote:

I don't know if it would be to overpowered or not or if it's even possible with carriers (I'm pretty new), but I think it would be pretty cool if the airborne or marines could utilize the destroyers and/or carriers for some sort of transport or "waypoint". For example, an airborne unit can fly to a destroyer, land and maybe refuel there, before flying to their actual destination. This would allow for airborne to have more range which might be OP, but I think it would be a nice addition, although I'm not aware of how realistic this idea would be.

Anyway, I do recall there being a suggestion about having helicopter dedicated carriers and I can only assume they would utilize some sort of function like the one I stated above. If anyone can share info on whether this kind of idea will be implemented or not, that would be very much appreciated.
      Make another thread,:P

But I think that LHDs will solve that. Hopefully they may have some support ability when they come out
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu